PDA

View Full Version : Unmarked camera - Can anyone identify?

worlda02
7-Sep-2008, 17:19
Hello,

I have a camera which is not in the best of shape, but I was hoping someone may be able to tell me if the camera had a specific use (in a studio, outdoors, etc.) The camera itself is unmarked and I did not expand it because the bellows seem to be very stiff. Both the shutter and the lens had been removed from the camera and the lens board seems to have gone missing. The lens is rather large, marked as R. Walzl No. 1624 of Baltimore, MD. Can anyone tell me anything about the camera as far as when it may have been used, if it had a specific use, and/or what medium it would have taken photos onto?

Thank you,
David

Skorzen
7-Sep-2008, 19:34
I'm sure someone will come by and astound us with their knowledge of old/obscure cameras, but I thought I would throw in a few thoughts of my own anyway. Firstly I feel pretty confident that this camera was used in a studio as it appears to be made of some pretty heavy duty oak. I also don't see any way to fold it or anything which leads me to believe compactness was not a big concern.

I expect that this was probably not a commercially mass produced camera, maybe a homemade camera or custom built deal.

A google search for R. Walzl turner up this (http://freepages.collecting.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ruppert/surnamesj-r/lafevrephoto01.html) which might be of interest.

One thing that confuses me is that from what I can see there is no easy way to get the glass plate(?) on the same plane as the gg, unless there is some kind of back that would attach with the back swung open....

Glenn Thoreson
7-Sep-2008, 19:58
I can't tell you who made the camera but I had a back like that once. Same color and the joinery was the same. The back, though it had the ground glass in it (8X10), baffled me as to how it could be used. As I had no camera to match it, I removed the glass and used it in a Kodak 2D I was working on. I can say this, it's very old. I guess you knew that, though. :D

worlda02
8-Sep-2008, 05:25
For some additional information: You're right - it does not fold up and I hadn't thought about that significance until you mentioned it. Also, the glass on the back measure 8 1/2 inches square.

Thanks,
David