PDA

View Full Version : compound flash synchronisation

boris
7-Sep-2008, 12:56
hi all,
does the compound shutters have x synchronisation? in other words, can i use them with modern flashlight?
thanks, boris

Ash
7-Sep-2008, 13:06
easiest way to check is to stick your head in the back of the camera, attach the flash and fire it.

if you see the flash through the lens on a sync'd speed, then yes.

boris
7-Sep-2008, 13:14
thats what i did and i saw the flash! anyway i am confused because i can select just B, T and m. on my older shutter m does not function properly with flashlight.
boris

Ash
7-Sep-2008, 13:20
As far as I was aware (from cameras with MXV) M is flashbulb, X is electronic flash, V is self timer. That would be why M doesn't fire the flash.

* Setting M
In this position, the M-type flash lamps are ignited with shutter speeds of 1/50sec. to 1/300sec. Setting M cannot be used for electronic flashes. The delayed action release does not work. If no flash-gun is attached the shutter operates normally.
* Setting X
In this position electronic flash shots can be taken at any shutter speed. For flash lamps, only shutter speeds of 1/25 second can be used. The delayed action release does not work. If no flash unit is attached the shutter operates normally.
* Setting V
This position is used if you want to work with the delayed action release. For flash shots the same conditions apply as for position X.

boris
7-Sep-2008, 14:20
thats why i am not sure! i made e few test shoots now. will develop the film and than report.

Peter K
7-Sep-2008, 15:10
Compound shutters have only X-synchronisation, other as Compur shutters with an additional M-synchronisation for flashbulbs. M (from = medium) triggers the flash 16 to 18 milliseconds before the shutter is open completely.

Ole Tjugen
7-Sep-2008, 16:15
"B, T and I" mean "Bulb, Time and Instant". The "M" setting is the one that gives you shutter times as set, as well as flash sync.

The alternative is "Z, D and M", for Zeit (time), Dauer (long-lasting) and Moment(instant).

Reasonably recent (post-WWII) Compound shutters have ONLY X-sync.

Peter K
8-Sep-2008, 00:39
"B, T and I" mean "Bulb, Time and Instant". The "M" setting is the one that gives you shutter times as set, as well as flash sync.
The shutter triggers the sync. contact always if the shutter blades reach the "open" position. Also in the "B" and "T" position and with both Compound and Compur shutters.

boris
8-Sep-2008, 04:15
thanks forum, all of you were right! my negativs with flashlight were just fine!
boris :D