PDA

View Full Version : My account of the Kodak 2D Restoration

Mike Fiction
5-Sep-2008, 21:07
Rather than post it all here, I created a wordpress blog to document the restoration. I'm not going to restore it to look original as it's already so heavily modified. I'm going with a lighter orange(ish) / cherry finish. I'm going to try to make the bellows myself, so that should be interesting.

I've also never refinished anything before, but I'm taking it really slow, and following online advice and research as well as manufacturer suggestions on the products I'm using.

Here's the blog:
http://camerarestore.wordpress.com/

C. D. Keth
5-Sep-2008, 21:48
It looks like you're off to a great start. I'll be watching with great interest since I'll likely be picking up a 2D for the exact same purpose tomorrow from another forum member.

Since you're not restoring it to original state, have you thought of adding a mechanism for front tilt? That's the only thing I miss with this style camera.

Mike Fiction
5-Sep-2008, 23:10
Christopher - It's been modded for front tilt and front swing by a previous owner - though the swing makes the front standard a bit wobbly and I may remove it (cut and screw it down)

Plus the swing mechanism makes it not close up properly which is a little annoying as I would like to transport it :)

C. D. Keth
6-Sep-2008, 03:13
Christopher - It's been modded for front tilt and front swing by a previous owner - though the swing makes the front standard a bit wobbly and I may remove it (cut and screw it down)

Plus the swing mechanism makes it not close up properly which is a little annoying as I would like to transport it :)

Oh, I hadn't noticed either of those modifications. Perhaps you can find a way to improve on the swing modification so you can keep it. If not, it's a movement that I personally use very rarely.

eddie
6-Sep-2008, 04:21
it would be nice toi keep the front tilt for sure.

have fun with your project. i will be watching.

eddie

Mike Fiction
6-Sep-2008, 10:46
eddie - yes the front tilt I definitely want to keep, but swing is less necessary as I want to use this primarily as a portrait camera. So I may cut the brass mod and screw it down to make it foldable again and more sturdy.

ic-racer
6-Sep-2008, 13:15
Cool, I'll want to see how this turns out.

Mark Woods
6-Sep-2008, 20:29
Keep us posted. I have an old one with a TR triple convertible lens like the one Edward Weston used. I'm debating refurbishing the camera, but I have a ton of dark room work to do.....

Mike Fiction
7-Sep-2008, 08:57
The link again to story and more photos:
http://camerarestore.wordpress.com/

Ok, it's re-assembled and it looks really good. I still need to make a new bellows and need to source a few small parts. It's missing 1 tightening knob and the plumb level thing.

I drilled and tightened down the front swing mechanism so the front standard is much more stable. I still need to cut off the front brass piece of the swing device so that the camera closes again.

Making the bellows will be the most difficult part I think, so that'll take a little while.

butterflydream
7-Sep-2008, 11:06
Rebirth of 80 years old camera! Great!

Someday I would like to do it also. Maybe after 20 years with 100 years old one. :)

ic-racer
16-Sep-2008, 09:12
Looks good!

Ken Lee
16-Sep-2008, 12:51
I have a 5x7 2D, waiting for just such a restoration. It works fine, and has a new red bellows and Technika adapter by Richard Ritter. It likes to make portraits (http://www.kenleegallery.com/images/forum/p27.jpg), since it was a portrait (http://www.kenleegallery.com/images/forum/p21.jpg) camera in its previous life, before I found it at an auction.

I have tried to polish the metal, but it keeps tarnishing afterwards. I'm not sure that all of it is brass.

There are also some metal parts that I can't figure out how to remove, without sawing something.

I am reluctant to invest more money into the camera, but would love restore it to its best. Do any of you guys live near Massachusetts, or feel like fixing up another one ?

Mark Woods
16-Sep-2008, 13:06
Makes me want to spiff up my 2D that is really beat, but makes beautiful images.

BarryS
16-Sep-2008, 13:11
Ken--once you polish the brass it needs several coats of clear lacquer or high gloss urethane to prevent it from tarnishing (oxidizing) again. The rear standard of my 2D had a couple pieces that were riveted together--so I don't think there's an easy way to get them apart. Otherwise 95% of the camera can be disassembled and refinished.

C. D. Keth
16-Sep-2008, 15:11
Makes me want to spiff up my 2D that is really beat, but makes beautiful images.

You should. It's really not that much work. Perhaps all of us in SoCal will get together sometime after mine is done. That may convince you.

goamules
17-Sep-2008, 20:31
Nice job and thanks for showing your progress. I just bought a Seneca Improved 8x10 that may need a little work. It's got a natural finish, but the back is from a black one. When it arrives I'm going to carefully see if the wood underneith is mahogany, and if so, apply stripper and finish to match the rest of the camera.