PDA

View Full Version : Xenar 210mm f:4.5 filter thread

Jiri Vasina
3-Sep-2008, 23:47
Before I buy yet another step-up ring, I'd like to ask if anyone of you has a similar Xenar 210mm f:4.5 with filter thread of different diameter than the described 58mm.

My Xenar does not take 58mm filters, it seems to be just very slightly smaller. I have measured it, and it seems to be close to 55-56mm. (I know that the next smaller one is 55mm, so it's probably this one). I have not found any info on those different thread sizes. My Xenar S/N is in the 1,5xx,xxx range. (and yes, the filter thread is perfectly circular, there is no bump or ding that would hamper screwing the 58mm filter).

So the question: does anyone of you have a Schneider Xenar 210mm f:4.5 with a 55mm thread?

Thanks a lot

Jiri

Lightbender
4-Sep-2008, 00:26
I have a xenar 210mm f4.5, serial number 10,800,000's
I just tried a 58mm filter and it works fine.
Is it possible your lens has a bent filter thread?

Jiri Vasina
4-Sep-2008, 00:35
Lightbender, thanks, but no, the filter thread is not bent, perfectly circular...

Ole Tjugen
4-Sep-2008, 01:00
That's a 1939-model, and my Schneider literature only goes back to 1956. :(

Jiri Vasina
4-Sep-2008, 01:02
Ole, and I was counting on you... :( , but thanks anyway

aduncanson
4-Sep-2008, 05:53
I have a 210/4.5 Xenar, serial number 2,4XX,XXX. Its filter thread measures about 58mm. I have no filter that fits it, but can state that a 55mm filter that I tried was certainly too small.

Jim Galli
4-Sep-2008, 06:09
Probably made before anyone ever thought of standardising filter threads. Get a 58 - 62mm stepping ring and grind the threads until you get a tight press fit perhaps.

Jiri Vasina
4-Sep-2008, 10:37
I have a 210/4.5 Xenar, serial number 2,4XX,XXX. Its filter thread measures about 58mm. I have no filter that fits it, but can state that a 55mm filter that I tried was certainly too small.

I'm afraid this is my case too, as the 58mm filter does not fit, but only barely. I measured the filter thread as 56mm, and have found step rings only for 55mm. So I thought I was just too sloppy with my measurements. Might also be the lens was sloppy :( - and that's the reason I asked prior to just buying the step-up ring.

So far I'm using the Cokin universal adapter, but wanted to have a filter thread instead. And I have standardized on 58mm and 77mm, have step-up rings to those sizes on all my lenses. (Some filters I have only threaded in 58mm)

Probably made before anyone ever thought of standardising filter threads. Get a 58 - 62mm stepping ring and grind the threads until you get a tight press fit perhaps.

Jim, thanks for the suggestion, but that brought another, maybe a bit better idea yet. When I get home, I'll measure the outer barrel diameter and buy a step-down ring which I'll sort of push on the outside of the barrel. And I can either glue it, or tight-fit (more likely) it on the lens barrel.

Or was it what you had in mind, Jim? I've read your post several times and have the feeling that that is precisely your suggestion, only different (less clear to me) words... :)

But thanks all for your help.

Gordon Moat
4-Sep-2008, 11:37
I had to turn down a step-down ring to mount filters on my Zeiss 21cm f4.5 Tessar. I ended up being able to mount 52mm filters, which allows the lens to work without vignetting. I think it does cut down the image circle, and might limit movements, though the movements would be very extreme before it became an issue. Be sure to buy an aluminum ring if you go this route (some are plastic).

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography (http://www.gordonmoat.com)

Lightbender
5-Sep-2008, 00:15
another suggestion is to cut out a lenscap, then glue a step-up ring or broken filter ring into it.

Ole Tjugen
5-Sep-2008, 02:50
That's why I bought a Lee Gel-Snap. Fits just about everything, and is held in place with a rubber band. :)

kilimanjaro1996
5-Sep-2008, 10:14
Ole: sightly off topic question relating to your Lee Gelsnap holder. I'm contemplating their Black & White Polyster set with Gelsnap holder, but wonder if they are really crap. Should I just go for the optical resins from Lee or HiTech straight? Currently I use high quality B+W glass filters for lenses up to 52mm thread, but need a set which can go at least 77mm and maybe beyond. (BTW, I have a Xenar 21cm/4.5 in barrel from 1920s, and plan to use a Packard shutter. thus I thought I'm partially qualified for this thread. :) )

Ole Tjugen
5-Sep-2008, 12:03
Zheng L.,

No, they're not "crap". Yes, the gel filters are thin and "flimsy", but they are also extremely well made. The optical thickness seems to me to be very even, which as you will know is extremely important with longer focal lengths. I have used Lee gel filters on a converted 300/500mm Symmar (at 500mm), and I'm very confident that any weakness in the filters would have shown up with that combination on 8x10".

I do use Lee optical resin graded filters when that is what I need, and even Cokin gels when the filter I need is too weird for anything else (like a minus yellow). Most of my "standard" lenses (for 35mm and MF) have known filter sizes and good glass filters, but I started LF with a selection of lenses that had formerly been used in a professional studio: ALL of them were dinged and dented. So rather than getting the lenses repaired, I learned to hold the filter by hand in front of the lens. :)
Since I sometimes seem to need four hands to hold everything I need to make a shot, I settled on the Lee Gel Snap as a good substitute.

The picture below was made with a Lee IR gel filter leaned against the lens, standing on the rail of a Linhof Color. :)