PDA

View Full Version : New dark cloth suggestions

Arne Norris
3-Sep-2008, 17:08
OK. I know this is an age-old question, and there's probably lots of previous threads. But I'm tired of using either my home made, rather clumsy dark cloth or a black t-shirt. And going through old threads can be very time consuming.

I would love to hear if anyone has found a good, modern dark cloth that folds down to a compact size and is easy to use.

From what I gather Blackjacket makes a nice design. I am considering a Hybrid 4x5 for my Technika. I live in a cool climate, and I do a lot of my work inside. Would the regular Blackjacket be cool enough? I like the idea of having a super lightweight, very compact focusing cloth, but if the Hybrid model is a lot more comfortable, than that may be the way to go. Any user feedback?

Any other suggestions or new designs that are available in the USA?

Thanks

jim kitchen
3-Sep-2008, 17:15
Dear Arne,

I have a BTZS Focus Hood for my 8X10...

It is very nice, but a bit heavier than I would like, yet very durable.

I bought it here:

http://www.viewcamerastore.com/product_info.php?cPath=99&products_id=32

jim k

ljsegil
3-Sep-2008, 18:00
I have the found the Blackjacket Hybrid to be much cooler than a BTZS cloth. I cannot compare it to the regular Blackjacket, but I have been very happy with the hybrid.
LJS

jim kitchen
3-Sep-2008, 18:07
I have the found the Blackjacket Hybrid to be much cooler than a BTZS cloth.

LJS

I lose five pounds every time I put my head under the BTZS cloth, on a hot summer day... :)

jim k

Brian Ellis
3-Sep-2008, 18:39
You might consider the BTZS cloth (actually "hood") - I've used them for years on everything from 4x5 to 8x10 - in Florida summers no less. Light, compact. I dealt with heat by "unzipping" the velcro and opening up the bottom of the hood, which lets air in and still leaves the ground glass dark enough to see. Maybe the Blackjacket is cooler, I don't know, I never tried one because I didn't want something with arm sleeves.

Richard Wasserman
3-Sep-2008, 18:41
I never go along well with the Blackjacket I had and currently use a BTZS which I like better. That said I recently put together a lightweight kit based on an Anba Ikeda and was looking for a very light and small darkcloth. I purchased an Ebony Regular Cloth which was just what I was looking for. It weighs approximately nothing and folds down to a tiny package. It's a little bothersome in the wind, but I can deal with that because of its other good qualities.

I am also a fan of the Harrison darkcloths. They are not too heavy and the silver reflective surface is nice in the sun. Hmm, you know how some people are always searching for the perfect camera bag, I may have the same problem with focusing cloths.

Navy Moose
3-Sep-2008, 18:42
I found an inexpensive dark cloth with snaps and weights sewn onto the ends on the Bay. It cost more to ship the thing than the cost of the cloth. It has black on one side and white on the other.

anchored
4-Sep-2008, 00:29
I've tried a handful of dark cloths with my Technika... doubled black t-shirts, BlackJacket (standard), Delta, off-brand tube, and another brand unknown similar to a Delta.

I like the BlackJacket as long as the conditions are extremely calm... it has a better light seal than anything else I've tried. However, I prefer to use black t-shirts if there's a slight breeze... the BJ so prone to wind affect I find myself spending more time keeping it from blocking the viewfinder than composing. The Delta is far too heavy and hot... and too long. On trips I carry both the BlackJacket and black t-shirts.

Turner Reich
4-Sep-2008, 02:55
I have the Calumet blue and white model and have finally come to grips with it after many decades. Put the white side out and the heat is not too bad at all, remember the AA white painted cases? Use some bankers clips so it doesn't blow or slip away. It has lead weights that add weight but they keep it down. Sorry I couldn't come up with something new, I've considered about everything.

Michael Jones
4-Sep-2008, 07:00
You might consider the BTZS cloth (actually "hood") - I've used them for years on everything from 4x5 to 8x10 - in Florida summers no less. Light, compact. I dealt with heat by "unzipping" the velcro and opening up the bottom of the hood, which lets air in and still leaves the ground glass dark enough to see. Maybe the Blackjacket is cooler, I don't know, I never tried one because I didn't want something with arm sleeves.

Ditto for my experiences, too. Like Brian, I've used them in Florida summers in the 'glades and mid day in the desert of Utah. I use them in sizes from 4x5 to 14x17, but I buy the next size up. I prefer the hood fit a bit more loosely on the camera. My $.02.

Mike

Chauncey Walden
4-Sep-2008, 08:01
I got two pieces of rip stop nylon - one black, one white - and my wife sewed them together. It weighs nothing and folds to the size of a napkin. I made another one with gray nylon instead of white, so I always have a gray card with me. I attach them to the front standard or the rear frame with plastic clothespins with another under the camera. Works great for me.

Vaughn
4-Sep-2008, 11:30
I'll second the plastic clothes pins! (8x10)

Vaughn

Scott --
4-Sep-2008, 13:36
I got two pieces of rip stop nylon - one black, one white - and my wife sewed them together. It weighs nothing and folds to the size of a napkin. I made another one with gray nylon instead of white, so I always have a gray card with me. I attach them to the front standard or the rear frame with plastic clothespins with another under the camera. Works great for me.

Just curious, 'cause I'm still using a bath towel draped over the camera back - what're the dimensions of a dark cloth for 8x10?

venchka
4-Sep-2008, 13:50
Just curious, 'cause I'm still using a bath towel draped over the camera back - what're the dimensions of a dark cloth for 8x10?

I have a volunteer standing by to make a dark cloth for me. Dimensons for a 4x5 Zone VI camera? Please?

Next question: How do y'all deal with the gap below the rear standard? Ther is about an inch of bright daylight between the standard and the base. Stuff a sock in it? :eek: :cool:

Ron Bose
4-Sep-2008, 14:21
I hear that Kevin Saitta makes nice dark cloths ...

I have a Gnass Gear one, a Calumet black & White one and a huge Harrison one that I could sleep under.

My favourite though is my Ebony Weatherproof one with the special hold which acts as a lens shade ...

btw check out the Poll I launched a while back on traditional versus Tube type cloths ...

C. D. Keth
4-Sep-2008, 17:46
I made one I am very happy with. I used a layer of black ripstop nylon (the lightweight kind with the grid pattern woven in) and a layer of white. I just sewed around the edge and tacked some places in the middle. Each corner got a little washer for weight. One long edge got half soft velcro and half prickly velcro- you just put the cloth over the rear standard and velcro it tight underneath. This works even better if you make it all prickly velcro on the cloth and put soft velcro on the rear standard.

It's not 100% light tight but it doesn't need to be. The bonuses are that it's cool, waterproof since I sprayed it with watersealant meant for backpacks, and folds up into a package the size of a wallet. Now that I think of it, I should have designed it with a little velcro pocket in one corner so it can fold into itself.

jeroldharter
4-Sep-2008, 17:53
I hear that Kevin Saitta makes nice dark cloths ...

I have a Gnass Gear one, a Calumet black & White one and a huge Harrison one that I could sleep under.

My favourite though is my Ebony Weatherproof one with the special hold which acts as a lens shade ...

btw check out the Poll I launched a while back on traditional versus Tube type cloths ...

I like Gnass products such as the film holders. About one year ago I ordered and paid for a Gnass dark cloth. I never received it and they have never responded to my emails. As far as I can tell, they are defunct.

Arne Norris
4-Sep-2008, 18:03
Thanks for all of your feedback and suggestions.

It's great to see all of the ways everyone is dealing with the issue of finding just the right dark cloth, from homemade to high tech.

Anyone specifically using either the original Blackjacket or Hybrid who wants to leave any feedback on their experiences?

The sleeves? I'm not sure, but maybe they make it less claustrophobic?

Funny, how much we all spend on cameras and lenses, but still no perfect dark cloth!

I'm also wondering if people with Technika 4x5's are using the "Right Angle Reflex Finder" instead of a dark cloth? They seem to pop up on eBay and seem like a good idea, but then I like the simplicity of a dark cloth too.

butterflydream
4-Sep-2008, 18:12
I use a black windbreaker for 5x7 and 8x10. The bottom side goes to camera back and tighten with the string of the windbreaker's waist. The opening for me is adjusted with the zipper.

Frank Petronio
4-Sep-2008, 19:27
I always suggested a black t-shirt or jacket in most cases, but I just got a Blackjacket and I like it very much. Finally. But I will probably use my (regular) jacket when I want to go light.

Struan Gray
5-Sep-2008, 00:17
I use a hybrid 5x7 Blackjacket on my 4x5 Norma in the field. Before that I used a black t-shirt, but the Blackjacket is significantly darker inside for not much more bulk or weight. It makes a significant difference with the f9 lenses I use for focal lengths longer than 150 mm.

I have used mine in gale-force winds. No tube of material is going to stay still in those conditions, but the Blackjacket was no worse than anything else I have tried. The thicker material of the hybrid may make it a better option than the standard model in this case.

I haven't used mine in high temperatures, but I do photograph a lot in damp humid conditions, and even in the full rain at times. Steam build up is pretty mild under the Blackjacket, which helps prevent the gg from getting condensation all over it and ceasing to work.

Steve Gledhill
5-Sep-2008, 07:02
I use an REI multi towel http://www.rei.com/product/763241 like this except mine's dark green. If one isn't large enough then sew two together. They're very light and pack very small. They don't block out 100% of the light - but near enough. Use a double thickness if you want it black. Whichever way, it's small and light. And they can soak up a great deal of rain water well before letting any get into your camera.

Steve Gledhill
5-Sep-2008, 07:13
I use an REI multi towel http://www.rei.com/product/763241 like this except mine's dark green. If one isn't large enough then sew two together. They're very light and pack very small. They don't block out 100% of the light - but near enough. Use a double thickness if you want it black. Whichever way, it's small and light. And they can soak up a great deal of rain water well before letting any get into your camera.

Oooops - wrong link - should be this: http://www.rei.com/product/763238 in 'glade'.

Arne Norris
8-Sep-2008, 16:10
I found out about this British made dark cloth some how. Looks interesting as a design idea, but way too expensive it seems.

http://www.lightandland.co.uk/article.aspx?articleId=326&typeId=2&conId=8

It sounds like the Blackjacket would make sense for me.

Frank, if you see this post, what model of Blackjacket did you end up getting, the original or hybrid?

Arne Norris
8-Sep-2008, 16:20
I should also ask: Is anyone using the Blackjacket original, and finding it too hot or unbreathable because of the fabric?

Any had first hand experience trying both Blackjacket models?

Andrew_4548
9-Sep-2008, 04:54
There's also the Light & Land darkcloth, designed by Joe Cornish & David Ward and made by Paramo (people who make the outdoor clothing)

I've looked through a camera with one in place and they are jet black inside - no light leaks, should be breathable and windproof with the material used and, for once, are designed to fit my camera (45SU with the gap under the rear standard) as Joe C. uses one.

I like the idea of the sleeves on the blackjacket but I couldn't get a decent blackout when I had a play with one on a rare sunny day over here.

cjbroadbent
9-Sep-2008, 04:59
I lose five pounds every time I put my head under the BTZS cloth, on a hot summer day... :)
jim k
I use thin cotton - two sided - black and white + lead beads on 2 opposite ends. Sun-proof and wind-proof.

Andrew_4548
9-Sep-2008, 05:00
Oops, didn't see page 3 before I replied... :o