PDA

View Full Version : On the Road to Darkroom Discovery

tgtaylor
2-Sep-2008, 21:50
Armed with Anchell's Darkroom and Film Cookbooks and a used Ohaus triple beam scale, I'm on the path to darkroom discovery!

But first, where does one find things like spatulas and paper boats to measure chemicals on?

Darren Kruger
2-Sep-2008, 22:49
But first, where does one find things like spatulas and paper boats to measure chemicals on?

I use plastic spoons and small paper muffin cups.

-Darren

Richard Wall
3-Sep-2008, 04:34
I have several small glass beakers that I use, although I like the suggestion of the muffin cups. You can get most of of your run of the mill mad scientist gear at Photographer's Formulary. Click on the store link.

http://www.photoformulary.com

Richard

tgtaylor
3-Sep-2008, 10:22
The muffin cup idea sound good which got me to thinking that you can probably also buy smaller type cups for holding candy, etc., that would work for measuring very small amounts of chemistry.

Plastic spoons would work for measuring out relatively large amounts of chemicals but they would seem to be overkill for small formulas that only require a couple of grams. I went on the Photographer's Formulary website and while I saw a couple of items besides chemistry that I will need (e.g., plastic stirrers), didn't see any spatulas. I did a Google search a few days ago and found a place that sells disposable spatulas but they only sell wholesale. Maybe a visit or call to a college chemistry department would help in locating hard to find lab supplies.

Thanks again for the input. The traditional wet darkroom is loads more fun than the digital darkroom!

Ralph Barker
3-Sep-2008, 18:35
Note that the plastic knife that came with the plastic spoon can be filed down to an appropriate size. The plastic fork that rounded out the set is also useful for mixing in a beaker. ;)

tgtaylor
3-Sep-2008, 19:22
Excellent ideas Ralph. Thanks!

Thomas