PDA

View Full Version : New Portrait Thread - September 08

Jiri Vasina
1-Sep-2008, 23:15
Sleeping beauty.

She was sleeping in the evening, I went to check her and turn of the reading lamp. This sight presented itself. As I saw it, I knew I had to photograph it with the Chamonix. Because when she is awake, should would not stand still long enough for me to photograph her with a prepared shot. I might grab some snapshots with smaller handheld cameras, but nothing this large.

So anyway, I quickly set it up, measured the light (ow, 160-180s at f/11 with reciprocity and bellows extension factor), tried to focus (really tough in that lack of light, and R-Claron's f/9 maximum aperture), opened the shutter and hoped she would not move. After 135sec she rolled on the other side, so I had to close the shutter and hope for best...

http://www.vasina.net/wp-content/gallery/katka/p13x18-150_web.jpg

Chamonix 5×8", Fomapan 100, Repro-Claron 305mm.

------------------

I'm starting a new month thread with this one...

stehei
2-Sep-2008, 00:07
wow jiri,
that is one fine image,
and the story how you made it adds
to the magic!

regards

stefan

Greg Lockrey
2-Sep-2008, 00:13
wow jiri,
that is one fine image,
and the story how you made it adds
to the magic!

Dittoes! :)

cjbroadbent
2-Sep-2008, 05:48
Jiri, Very moving. LF puts "smaller handheld cameras" in their place.

Kerik Kouklis
2-Sep-2008, 06:01
Jim, what an angel! Well done.

Here's a new wet plate image I made over the weekend. 8x10 on aluminum:

http://www.kerik.com/hilary_ruben.jpg

Frank Petronio
2-Sep-2008, 07:19
Kudos Jiri

and thanks for starting the thread on the first of the month!

Ken C
2-Sep-2008, 08:13
Remarkable image. Thank you for sharing.

xmishx
2-Sep-2008, 10:06
Jiri and Kerik,

Both very nice images.

Jiri, I also like the story of the photo. I can't imagine having an exposure for so long, but you have pulled it off! Bravo!

Ted

Allen in Montreal
2-Sep-2008, 16:28
Jiri, Kerik,

What are you two thinking posting those at the beginning of the month?
No one is going to have the nerve to post after those two! :)
Beautiful pix!

I will bring the bar down several notches to free up any stress for the other members.

Not really a portrait, but a quick test of my father's old speed graphic.

TXP Normal in HC-100, souped in a jobo drum.
One 500 watt Mole Richardson through a screen.
1/5th sec at 4.7
Cropped by at least 50 percent on a borrowed scanner, the 11x14 print is pretty nice.
The print has the lower portion burned down about 3/4 of a stop.

The scorn is easy to calculate:
A health sciences student in college with the dream of med school called away from homework to sit still for 15 minutes for the old man.... :(

http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/9563/casspeedtest1vt4.jpg

Dave Wooten
2-Sep-2008, 16:51
Good portrait Allen, beautiful young lady!

W K Longcor
2-Sep-2008, 17:17
Jiri
I continue to be impressed. Beautiful images and a beautiful child!

Frank Petronio
2-Sep-2008, 21:08
Here are my first 8x10s from Saturday, using old VPS that expired in 1995 (it was kept cold).

The old C1 is a heavy beast, the 10" Ektar flared, the bellows and holders are somewhat suspect, and the subjects blinked.

It was fun.

stehei
2-Sep-2008, 22:57
another C1 user!
did you also take some gym excercises before you shot with the beast?
I like the first 2 very much!!

regards

stefan

domenico Foschi
3-Sep-2008, 01:33
Sleeping beauty.

She was sleeping in the evening, I went to check her and turn of the reading lamp. This sight presented itself. As I saw it, I knew I had to photograph it with the Chamonix. Because when she is awake, should would not stand still long enough for me to photograph her with a prepared shot. I might grab some snapshots with smaller handheld cameras, but nothing this large.

So anyway, I quickly set it up, measured the light (ow, 160-180s at f/11 with reciprocity and bellows extension factor), tried to focus (really tough in that lack of light, and R-Claron's f/9 maximum aperture), opened the shutter and hoped she would not move. After 135sec she rolled on the other side, so I had to close the shutter and hope for best...

------------------

Jiri, Jiri,....

Jiri Vasina
3-Sep-2008, 01:47
I'm deeply moved that even those people, whose work I admire and think of artistically as centuries ahead of me, do find some of my photos worth noting and pleasing...

I think this one [of my daughter] may bring back a lot of memories for the older of you, of your children. And then, my daughter is not that important, it's your child you see...

eddie
3-Sep-2008, 05:03
VDB on 8x10 that is hot at a wedding a few weeks back. toned in selenium. hand colored. i used my 11 1/2 verito about f11 or f16

eddie

arkady n.
3-Sep-2008, 06:24
http://www.nemerovsky.com/arkady/photos/4x5/2007_07_13_IV_fr01.jpg

Graphic View 4x5, Kodak Ektar 203mm

Colin Graham
3-Sep-2008, 07:32
I think this one [of my daughter] may bring back a lot of memories for the older of you, of your children. And then, my daughter is not that important, it's your child you see...

Not so fast there! I have no children, still an awesome capture by any standard. You should do more portraiture Jiri.

Jiri Vasina
3-Sep-2008, 10:26
Colin, I have shot more than 20 sheets 13x18cm of portraits so far, only 2 are barely good IMO - the sleeping daughter, and one of my wife in a portrait in bedroom viewable only by me and her :) . All the other are substandard for some reason. I'm not good at portraits, I'm too nervous with my subjects, they feel it and start to behave nervously too... And it shows...

Or they simply lack something, like this one here. But first the story:

It's a portrait of my very close friend. She has a child now almost 2 years old, that is very indisposed since birth. She (and her husband) has to keep constant 24h care of the child and have to be at their home every 120minutes for medical reasons. Therefore she had to find her pastime in her home - she started portrait photography (here are some samples atelier.sedlacci.net (http://atelier.sedlacci.net/)) - and no, she does not shoot LF, not even MF.

While we were visiting them once, the subject of me portraying her came up. I shot 6 sheets, this is one of them

http://www.vasina.net/wp-content/gallery/lide/p13x18-131_web.jpg

In hindsight, it's clear it's not a portrait of her. It might be technically OK, but it's not a good portrait. And I was not enjoying shooting them as much as I enjoy landscape photography, I was too nervous.

My only hope is I'll outgrow this nervousness/shyness on my part...

stehei
3-Sep-2008, 10:55
Hi Jiri,

Think about Richard Avedons famous words (for me, because they helped me get over my fear, and start portraiture). It goes something like this: I have a white background, the person I'm interested in, and the thing that happens between us. It freed my mind completely, because meeting somebody, and taking a picture of that interaction is far less threatening than making 'the best, truthfull' portrait of a person. Too much pretension and stress.

Talk about their lives, ask them to focus on something they are familiar with (a holliday, a child being born, that what means something to them and makes them feel at home). And show that your not a photographer, just a person want to meet the other, with the picture as a secondary result. It helped me relax, and get my models relaxed!

Just my 2 cents. You're too talented not to get yourself involved taking portraits!
good luck!

regards

stefan

W K Longcor
3-Sep-2008, 11:44
Jiri,
Not such a bad image. Just too much -- maybe. Go to her web site and look at the image as cropped there. Much better! (Though I would not have cropped the top of her head.) On your image, the light clothing and arm of the chair grab the viewers attention. May I suggest a photographic experiment for you. Set up this same subject with a table between her and the camera. Have her spread out a collection of her photographs on the table. Set up and focus your camera -- then load a holder. Have her talk over her photgraphs with you ( a mutually interesting subject.) You should both be at ease doing this. When the time is right - expose the film. Then change the holder and be ready for the next "moment". Hopefully, you will BOTH be at ease and produce some wonderful images. This idea is not mine. It comes from a photographer who was charged with the job of photographing ME for and article that was being done. He later told me I was the WORST subject he ever faced. I was too intense on my own pose and presentation. His technique got me to forget that another photographer was "working" and he got some good --comfortable -- images of me (I still say I belong behind the lens, NOT in front!).

Jiri Vasina
3-Sep-2008, 11:47
W K, that's actually a wonderful idea. Next time I see her I'll do something like that... Thanks.

domenico Foschi
3-Sep-2008, 11:56
It is this very struggle that makes you a good photographer.
I know that when you will have overcame those barriers that keep you from being relaxed in front of your subject you will start seeing in your own special way.
It is going to help you if you will start thinking about your subject in an abstract manner.
What I am trying to say, notice how the light falls on your subject face, see at relationships between the subject, background and clothes.
If I concentrate on being truthful to the subject personality I end up doing a mess.
A portrait of a subject is a portrait of the photographer.

W K Longcor
3-Sep-2008, 12:03
W K, that's actually a wonderful idea. Next time I see her I'll do something like that... Thanks.

When done -- please post the images here. I'm sure they will be good.
By the way, I just viewed your web page. Some of your "people" images there are wonderful.

Jiri Vasina
3-Sep-2008, 12:16
W K, I'll post the results for sure. But it will take some time - they live elsewhere and we should be seeing here family in around a month. And I don't have very many models to choose from where I live - only my wife who does not like at all having photos taken of (that's the reason I don't have any to post here, nor on my website), and my daughter who is usually too restless to have a photo taken. As probably most 3 year-olds.

Or maybe I may find someone else willing to subject him/her-self to the eye of my camera. God only knows... But anyway, I'll post the results.

A portrait of a subject is a portrait of the photographer.

Yes, Domenico, there is so much truth in that. But I have found out only recently... And there is too much mess in me when confronted with "the responsibility and task of making good portraits". I'll sort my thoughts first...

Nathan67
4-Sep-2008, 04:34
Well here is my first offering for septembers thread, this time a candid portrait of my son (2.5yo) engrossed in his artwork...
Handheld crown graphic with 135 optar lens 1/50s @ roughly f7 window light on a wet and stormy day.
This is the paper negative throw away part of fuji fp3000b45 super speedy imported from Japan. The print is lovely, but the negative if left to dry is much sharper for scanning and this scan would print easily to 40x50 cm...
http://www.lediardfoto.com/eirik001.jpg

Nathan67
4-Sep-2008, 04:35
Sleeping beauty.

------------------

really lovely portrait with lovely soft tones.

Nathan67
4-Sep-2008, 04:36
Here are my first 8x10s from Saturday, using old VPS that expired in 1995 (it was kept cold).

The old C1 is a heavy beast, the 10" Ektar flared, the bellows and holders are somewhat suspect, and the subjects blinked.

It was fun.

I just love that shot in the water with the white dress... cracking shot!

Nathan

nelsonfotodotcom
4-Sep-2008, 19:27
If I may pay tribute to a person I will be missing very much after Saturday; forgive me the trespass of posting RB67-derived images?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3081/2828834317_e76ea4c5c8_m.jpg (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3081/2828834317_b2f4e48aff_o.jpg)

Brandy, my platonic companion through much of summer as we hiked, caved, swam, road-tripped, battled at chess, laughed over pints... those eyes, those freckles, and dimples to go with, not to mention what I hope is communicated in these images, what is most important about her: a profound empathy, a wise soul, a sharp mind, and warm heart.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3169/2828834149_1e8044d7f5.jpg (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3169/2828834149_5ab6a9ddbe_o.jpg)

Brandy will depart Arkansas on Saturday, headed to grad school in Portland, Oregon. If you meet her, be good to her. And watch out for her knights on the chess board.

Technical:

Mamiya RB67 w/90mm Sekor-C, on Fujfilm FP-100C that I scanned on an old Canon LiDE20 flat-bed, then manually converted to BW in channel-mixer.

Shots lit with a combination of Nikon Speedlights, mounted on stands, bounced out of or shot through umbrellas, as I saw fit. Key was an SB25 triggered off the lens via a PCM-to-PCM sync, the 26 on the right popping via built-in opti-slave.

Ben Chase
4-Sep-2008, 22:15
http://www.benchasephoto.com/storage/images-for-external/TheCaptainLF.jpg

The Captain
Astia @ 100 - Converted to B/W

zack
4-Sep-2008, 22:17
I had a great opportunity to exercise my camera muscles the other day. I set up my strobes and did some portraits of my roommate. He had the idea to do a "surprise portrait," which involved me turning away after I had framed the shot while he put on a costume before I tripped the shutter. It was a funny thing to pull out of the fix.

Please excuse the horrible quality here. I haven't had a chance to do any prints, so this is the negative in a plastine sitting in my flatbed. I'm thinking split sepia/selenium for the real thing.
http://zack.loseby.net/images/rosscrap1.jpg

Foma 200. Symmar 150/5.6 with the front cell removed at f/16.

stehei
5-Sep-2008, 01:24
first try with a Graflex Super D,
compared to 8*10 its a breeze!!

regards

stefan

C. D. Keth
5-Sep-2008, 14:35
first try with a Graflex Super D,
compared to 8*10 its a breeze!!

regards

stefan

That's very nice. I would have liked to see at least a little light in the eyes. Just enough for a little glint of life would do it.

Miguel Coquis
6-Sep-2008, 05:01
Dim Light Portrait
8x10", Dallmeyer Pentac 8", Yellow filter
Dev +1
Scanned neg

zack
7-Sep-2008, 11:28
And finally a real print, my first enlargement from a 4x5 negative actually. Fortezo toned lightly in sepia followed by a strong dose of selenium. The darn thing won't quite fit in my scanner though.

http://zack.loseby.net/images/ross1.jpg

PViapiano
7-Sep-2008, 23:08
Just beautiful, Miguel!

MichaelT
8-Sep-2008, 12:32
Hi, this is my first Post on this Forum!
... hope its all right

Jiri, Kerik, Frank Petronio, Nathan67
--> very good Work!! i like your Photographs.

1 Image:5X4 Foma Symmar 210
2 and 3 Image: 5X7 Agfa APX100 Linhof Technika Xenar 210

Michael

Frank Petronio
8-Sep-2008, 12:41
Michael we can only imagine how hard photographing little boys must be, especially with a 5x7 Technika! All three are amazing, the last being even more so.

domenico Foschi
8-Sep-2008, 13:33
That Filip must be a real character.
Wonderful!

Jiri Vasina
8-Sep-2008, 22:07
Michael T, excellent photos as first post. Especially the third one is funny yet pleasing and wonderful... His expression...

Joel Brown
8-Sep-2008, 22:53
I just returned from my annual family reunion at Lake Tahoe. I was hoping to burn all my 8x10 film and reload my 12 film holders using my film changing tent. As it turned out with over 20 relatives attending I was able to photograph 3 kids, and then only for a 1/2 hour. When the light was right, it was dinner time, lunch time, or everyone was out on a boat. Oh, and I think our cabin's name was Star.
www.joelbrownphotography.com

Miguel Coquis
9-Sep-2008, 04:57
Just beautiful, Miguel!

Thanks a lot. I am glad you appreciate this portrait.

MichaelT
9-Sep-2008, 10:22
Hi Frank, Domenico, Jiri,

thanks for your comments, i am proud to get comments from Professinals.

Filip is my Son, YES he have Charakter!, and Yes i burned several Sheets till i got those Pics, i have some more of my daughter, these ones where not so difficult ;-)

Michael

MichaelT
9-Sep-2008, 11:00
Hi Joel,

i like those Pics, keep on Photographing

... sorry for my English ;-)

Michael

Jiri Vasina
9-Sep-2008, 11:26
Michael T, by no means am I a professional, and also not a pro. My income from photography has so far been nil. Zero. Exactly.

It's only my pastime, to vent the stress of every day. And today I would need a lot of it. Have had a car accident (noone hurt, only the metalworks), some bloke phoning while driving and not paying enough attention run into me, while I was giving way to pedestrians having green light on the zebra. Fortunately noone was hurt. Yeah, I need to vent my stress today with photography (and I'll be away from my cameras until weekend...).

Sorry for the rant, I just came home, and it's already dark here.

Andrew ren
9-Sep-2008, 12:24
Jiri,

Sorry to hear this terrible story. it's the best everyone is not been injured and sound.

best,

A

Allen in Montreal
9-Sep-2008, 13:30
...... some bloke phoning while driving and not paying enough attention run into me, while I was giving way to pedestrians having green light on the zebra.......

Sorry to hear about the car wreck!
Quebec has outlawed driving and using a mobile fone.
98.5 percent of the population seem to be able to "walk and talk" (an expression for doing two things at once) at the same time but the other 1.5 just keep smashing up everyone around them. :mad:

stehei
11-Sep-2008, 14:20
Another try with the Graflex Super D
and a lovely friend willing to be examined by the old camera

Miguel Coquis
12-Sep-2008, 01:02
facet
speed graphic
Berthiot barrel old lens

Brian_A
12-Sep-2008, 05:59
Reminds me very much of a few Jock Sturges images. Although, your subjects are wearing clothing. Interesting twist.

-Brian

I just returned from my annual family reunion at Lake Tahoe. I was hoping to burn all my 8x10 film and reload my 12 film holders using my film changing tent. As it turned out with over 20 relatives attending I was able to photograph 3 kids, and then only for a 1/2 hour. When the light was right, it was dinner time, lunch time, or everyone was out on a boat. Oh, and I think our cabin's name was Star.
www.joelbrownphotography.com

mattpallante
12-Sep-2008, 13:43

And here is the "X." Shot this about 25 years ago on TRI-X with a 210 lens. I was looking thru old negs a couple months ago and decided to scan it on my 700. I was working on it in Lightzone and figured I'd splash some colors on her. First time she ever really let me have my way with her....Can you see how intelligent Win was? And the difference in the right and left sides of her face? Life is beautiful, no?
Matt

Skorzen
12-Sep-2008, 14:13
I guess this one counts, I wanted to give the lens I had picked up for my Agfa-Ansco 8X10 a try (13in Convertible raptar) and managed to talk my fiancee into being my subject :D. I used an old 500 ws Novatron powerpack and one strobe shot through an umbrella with a second umbrella reflecting the reflected light back through the first (looked like () with the light in the middle, trying to make it a little more efficient). With this whole deal about 3 feet from her face and the bellows factor for pretty much 1:1 I made the exposure at f16. I'm pretty happy with the result as I was just goofing around, she doesn't like the blanket though, I think it adds character ;) (she was cold waiting for me to get setup).

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3263/2847760448_8de5cfd3c4.jpg

Jon Wilson
12-Sep-2008, 17:16
Here are 2 8x10 shots taken of my daughter and husband this past weekend. I used expired Kodak Pro100 color negative film and my local media specialities company scanned them for me. First shot was teken with a 15.5 inch f5 Illex Portrait Lens at f8 and 1/2 second exposure. The second shot was taken with a 360mm Nikor install in a Betax Shutte by Steve Grimes. That shot was taken at f9 with a second +/- exposure. Let me know which, if either you prefer and why. Thanks. Jon

Nathan67
13-Sep-2008, 07:03
I guess this one counts, I wanted to give the lens I had picked up for my Agfa-Ansco 8X10 a try (13in Convertible raptar) and managed to talk my fiancee into being my subject :D. I used an old 500 ws Novatron powerpack and one strobe shot through an umbrella with a second umbrella reflecting the reflected light back through the first (looked like () with the light in the middle, trying to make it a little more efficient). With this whole deal about 3 feet from her face and the bellows factor for pretty much 1:1 I made the exposure at f16. I'm pretty happy with the result as I was just goofing around, she doesn't like the blanket though, I think it adds character ;) (she was cold waiting for me to get setup).

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3263/2847760448_8de5cfd3c4.jpg

Now that is a lovely portrait.

Nathan67
14-Sep-2008, 07:42
Here are 2 8x10 shots taken of my daughter and husband this past weekend. I used expired Kodak Pro100 color negative film and my local media specialities company scanned them for me. First shot was teken with a 15.5 inch f5 Illex Portrait Lens at f8 and 1/2 second exposure. The second shot was taken with a 360mm Nikor install in a Betax Shutte by Steve Grimes. That shot was taken at f9 with a second +/- exposure. Let me know which, if either you prefer and why. Thanks. Jon

I prefer the first shot because of the blurring in the image.

Nathan67
14-Sep-2008, 07:48
Here is one hot off the press... experimenting with polaroid type 51HC 3 years expired.. this is interesting stuff.. the print is iso 640 while the neg is iso 80... so you takes your choice,,, here I exposed for iso 640 to get a very high contrast black and white print.. virtually no grey tones here at all... the neg is hanging up to dry, but looks at first glance that it might be usable... previously I have allways exposed this film for the neg at iso 80, resulting in unusable prints, but very nice contrasty negs...
well here she is:
PS the vignetting occurred because I was hand holding both my crown graphic 4x5 and my profoto ringlight (the bracket does not clear the bed...) resulting in a slight slip leaving the vignetting seen here.. but I kinda like it!

http://www.lediardfoto.com/inga51-001.jpg

monkeymon
14-Sep-2008, 10:20
Subject may be a bit corny, but i like the look. And the vignetting really makes the foto, if it were not there it would be a half of a foto.

Nathan67
14-Sep-2008, 11:39
Here is another, this time taken with a shen hao TZ45IIB with caltar 210 f5.6 II-N, again on t51
http://www.lediardfoto.com/inga51-003.jpg HC P/N exposed at 640 iso

Brian_A
14-Sep-2008, 16:58
Nathan,

I dig both of those images. I like the harshness of them. Keep up this stuff up!

-Brian

Nathan67
14-Sep-2008, 17:06
Nathan,

I dig both of those images. I like the harshness of them. Keep up this stuff up!

-Brian

Thanks Brian, I have some more to scan, and the negs are hanging in the darkroom to dry, so more to come :)

Nathan

Nathan67
14-Sep-2008, 17:07
Subject may be a bit corny, but i like the look. And the vignetting really makes the foto, if it were not there it would be a half of a foto.
Glad you liked it, corny or not :)

nathan

stehei
15-Sep-2008, 12:29
Hp5+
graflex ektar Aero

Nathan67
15-Sep-2008, 13:22
Hp5+
graflex ektar Aero
Lovely use of the soft bokeh from that lens,

Nathan

stehei
15-Sep-2008, 14:38
Lovely use of the soft bokeh from that lens,

Nathan

thanks!

Miguel Coquis
15-Sep-2008, 14:57
time for relax
graflex RB

Frank Petronio
15-Sep-2008, 15:04
Miguel that one is your best!

Jon Wilson
15-Sep-2008, 17:18
Here is shot taken Sunday with my 210mm Docter Tessar f5.6 with Arista

Daniel_Buck
15-Sep-2008, 21:51
Petzval projector on speedgraphic, my friend (and fellow photographer) Aaron. This is the first portrait of an adult I've taken with this combo, and I must say I like it! I'm going to try and horizontal head/shoulders shot next time. The closer in I get, the less swirly mess I get with this lens, but it still does have a look that I really enjoy!

I don't quite like the 'lightning strike' right about his head, I guess I didn't look hard enough at the background when when I was composing, I'll have to be aware of that next time!

http://www.buckshotsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/rileys_14.jpg

domenico Foschi
15-Sep-2008, 22:04
Very nice portrait Daniel.
You can always burn that areas with a very soft grade.
If you do that the hand will jump out beautifully.

Miguel Coquis
16-Sep-2008, 04:17
Miguel that one is your best!

Frank, thanks for the compliment !
Glad you appreciate.

Nathan67
16-Sep-2008, 14:45
Petzval projector on speedgraphic, my friend (and fellow photographer) Aaron. This is the first portrait of an adult I've taken with this combo, and I must say I like it! I'm going to try and horizontal head/shoulders shot next time. The closer in I get, the less swirly mess I get with this lens, but it still does have a look that I really enjoy!

I don't quite like the 'lightning strike' right about his head, I guess I didn't look hard enough at the background when when I was composing, I'll have to be aware of that next time!

http://www.buckshotsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/rileys_14.jpg

Gotta love that swirly creamy bokeh :)

Nathan67
16-Sep-2008, 14:49
Ok heres another from a recent shoot , expired polaroid Type 64 tungsten film, exposed with studio flash...
Taken with my Crown Graphic hand held (thats my shen hao TZ45IIB in the pic)

http://www.lediardfoto.com/inga51-009.jpg

Miguel Coquis
16-Sep-2008, 14:57
Nathan,
Beautiful shen hao set, it looks complete !!!

http://www.lediardfoto.com/inga51-009.jpg[/QUOTE]

Nathan67
16-Sep-2008, 15:36
OK, one more today.. this time type 51, shen hao TZ45IIB, caltar f5.6 210 IIN....

http://www.lediardfoto.com/inga51-010.jpg

Colin Graham
18-Sep-2008, 18:12
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3030/2868513207_531d0e7379_o.jpg

2 horses and wife

Allen in Montreal
18-Sep-2008, 18:33

2 horses and wife

Nice,
Horses are (imho) just the most beautiful of animals!

Allen in Montreal
18-Sep-2008, 18:35
I believe this is the GF?
You are SO lucky she will do these shoots with you.

Ok heres another from a recent shoot , expired polaroid Type 64 tungsten film, exposed with studio flash...

http://www.lediardfoto.com/inga51-009.jpg

Nathan67
19-Sep-2008, 00:47
I believe this is the GF?
You are SO lucky she will do these shoots with you.

haha, no I am a happily married man! This is a local artist who loves to pose for the camera, so she gets some piks for her web page, and I get to play and test out ideas in the studio between paying clients...
But yes, I am lucky :D and there is more to come :)

Nathan

Nathan67
19-Sep-2008, 03:21

2 horses and wife
Lovely light here, beautifully soft, yet exquisite detail ( I am sure a big print is just gorgeous) only one tiny little niggle... why did you cut the horses foot off?? but please... lovely image :)

Nathan

Nathan67
19-Sep-2008, 09:13
OK, heres another:
Crown Graphic this time, with 203mm f7.7 Ektar , wide open on Polaroid type 55 P/N

http://www.lediardfoto.com/55-006a.jpg

Colin Graham
19-Sep-2008, 10:32
Thanks Allen and Nathan. Nathan, she swung her ass around when I was loading the holder. She had been standing foot cocked in almost mirror image to the gelding. A contrary horse, to say the least. Still, there is a sort of yin/yang thing there that I like.

bsimison
19-Sep-2008, 20:32
Shot this one of my nephew Tyler yesterday. Tachihara 4x5, 210mm Schneider Symmar-S, old TMY 400, and a bevy of monolights.

Full size and detail crop included.

Oortti
19-Sep-2008, 23:01
Toyo Field 45A / 210mm f5.6 Calumet Caltar II-S / Ilford HP5+. One of my first portrait shots with Toyo - of my dad. Taken last week.

See the non-compressed, bigger version here: http://www.peronvuo.fi/otoksia/raulibadding.jpg

Miguel Curbelo
21-Sep-2008, 13:16
I have been teaching for 25 years, and this young lady is the cleverest person I have ever taught. The day after taking this portrait she flew off abroad to university.
5x7 Korona View (thanks, Jiri), 240mm G-Claron,2 second exposure at f22, FP4+, HC110, cyanotype on arches aquarelle. The scanning is not too good, I am afraid.

Colin Graham
21-Sep-2008, 13:22
That's wonderful Miguel. I really like your cyanotypes very much.

Jiri Vasina
21-Sep-2008, 22:33
Miguel, I'm happy to see the Korona finally put to use, and a great portrait with it. It's been a long time, are you happy with it?

Miguel Curbelo
22-Sep-2008, 01:50
Thank you Colin, that's kind.
Jiri, I bought the Korona to dip my toes into the 5x7 format, and I have discovered I like it a lot. The camera has obvious limitations, but I am having great fun with it.:)

BennehBoy
29-Sep-2008, 07:31
These are from the first box of 160NC to go through my Sinar P2 4x5 (click for bigger):

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3143/2890405740_408f893f20.jpg (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3143/2890405740_34b62bdb0f_o.jpg)
150 APO Symmar Linhof

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3290/2890628594_e4b6c8a803.jpg (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3290/2890628594_fc57d6bb40_o.jpg)
90 Super Angulon Linhof

Just some test shots of friends, please ignore the crappy net curtains in the first one :D

jnantz
29-Sep-2008, 17:25

Daniel_Buck
29-Sep-2008, 17:40
Toyo Field 45A / 210mm f5.6 Calumet Caltar II-S / Ilford HP5+. One of my first portrait shots with Toyo - of my dad. Taken last week.

See the non-compressed, bigger version here: http://www.peronvuo.fi/otoksia/raulibadding.jpg

that's great looking! :)

SadChi
30-Sep-2008, 04:57
Some portraits scanned from paper.

Camera: Sinar Norma
Lens: Fujinon SF 250/5.6

Miguel Coquis
30-Sep-2008, 11:02
[QUOTE=SadChi;397097]Some portraits scanned from paper.
Hi SadChi, great portraits here !!!
Strong light, strength seeing.
Want to see some others !

C. D. Keth
30-Sep-2008, 11:55
As do I. The second is especially nice, though there seems to be a little dust problem.

kilimanjaro1996
30-Sep-2008, 13:02
Hi SadChi, really nice and pleasing portraits, have a soft glow but still plenty sharp in the eyes.

SadChi
30-Sep-2008, 21:24
Miguel, Christopher, Zheng,

Thank you! This forum inspires for the future work.

Allen in Montreal
1-Oct-2008, 05:51
Some portraits scanned from paper.

Camera: Sinar Norma
Lens: Fujinon SF 250/5.6

Nice!