PDA

View Full Version : Loaded holders in the fridge??

Allen in Montreal
1-Sep-2008, 15:55
I just loaded up nine 5x7 holders, zip lock bagged them and put them in the crisper in the fridge until I shoot, hopefully within two weeks.

Theoretically, it should be fine, but...
Has anyone done this and gotten condensation marks on their film as a result?

BrianShaw
1-Sep-2008, 16:01
I refrigerate film, but never holders with film in them. Too afraid of condensation. Constant temperature is not a good assumption in refrigerators or freezers that are frost-free. I've stored film in holders for months in a desk drawer. I do put them in a plaastic baggie to avoid dust.

Deane Johnson
1-Sep-2008, 16:07
I refrigerated b&w film in holders in zip locks for years and never had an issue. I always let them thoroughly reach room temperature before removing them from the zip locks.

BrianShaw
1-Sep-2008, 16:13
OK... that does it for me. If Deane refrigerates loaded holders, then I'll have to give it a try!

Deane Johnson
1-Sep-2008, 16:16
OK... that does it for me. If Deane refrigerates loaded holders, then I'll have to give it a try!

There's danger in following me Brian.....have you ever seen one of my photographs hanging in a gallery or being published? Have you ever read an intelligent post on the forum made by me? Have you ever read me offering anything worthwhile?

Kevin Crisp
1-Sep-2008, 16:17
I'm with Deane, I load them up and take them in and out and if you let the bags get to room temperature before you open the bag you should be fine.

MIke Sherck
1-Sep-2008, 16:41
My wife would kill me...

And probably stuff a watermelon in the compartment, just to make sure I got the message. :)

Mike

Gene McCluney
1-Sep-2008, 16:57
If the film is black and white, and your holders are in good shape (and why would you use holders that weren't?), then staying 2 weeks inside your house in comfy house temperatures will not hurt the film at all. In fact, staying 6 months inside the house would be fine. I have come to realize that "most" people treat film as if it were more delicate than it really is.

Nathan Potter
1-Sep-2008, 18:39
Refrigerated or not, in 6 mos. you'd be hard pressed to tell the image difference. But if you're worried you could slip a bit of dessicant into the Ziplok.

Nate Potter

Allen in Montreal
1-Sep-2008, 18:51
My wife would kill me...

And probably stuff a watermelon in the compartment, just to make sure I got the message. :)

Mike

The key is, move in slowly, one box and at time!;)

http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/6551/paper0232xpi9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Truth be told, it is not always this bad, I have just been shuffling things around lately and the mini fridge in the studio died after 15 yrs ( I should have left it alone)...so the food had to go!

Allen in Montreal
1-Sep-2008, 18:56
If the film is black and white, and your holders are in good shape (and why would you use holders that weren't?), then staying 2 weeks inside your house in comfy house temperatures will not hurt the film at all. In fact, staying 6 months inside the house would be fine. I have come to realize that "most" people treat film as if it were more delicate than it really is.

You are right Gene I have tossed so much paper and film this summer, I guess I am going a little over board. When the 8x10 came I shot two test sheets that were sitting in holders in my storage cupboard since around 93 or 94!! base fog, lost speed for sure, but there is an image.

Pete Watkins
1-Sep-2008, 23:03
Allen,
Are you like us English? Do you like warm beer?
Pete.

gevalia
4-Sep-2008, 09:15
As a single guy, I've never seen apples in a fridge that were still ok to eat. Man, I need a housekeeper.

Allen in Montreal
5-Sep-2008, 12:47
Allen,
Are you like us English? Do you like warm beer?
Pete.

Not really, I just go to the market more often for smaller purchases of fresher things!
Space has nothing to do with that habit.
Wink wink nudge nudge. :)

Allen in Montreal
5-Sep-2008, 12:49
As a single guy, I've never seen apples in a fridge that were still ok to eat. Man, I need a housekeeper.

You must get in the habit now, food going bad in the fridge will just open the door to debate space allotment ratios...film and paper vs food!
You do not want to go down that path, trust me! :mad:

http://img381.imageshack.us/img381/1549/fridge8803wj8.jpg

Shen45
5-Sep-2008, 16:29
If you want to be a touch safer as far as condensation is concerned use 2 press seal bags. Unzip the first one after an appropriate warm up time and if there is still condensation forming on the inner bag wait at least another 30 minutes.