PDA

View Full Version : Feisol Users - Comments?

R Mann
29-Aug-2008, 16:33
Are there any Feisol users who would like to comment on their tripods? Has it lived up to its billing? Does it handle your equipment? Anyone using just the leveling head? Has anyone bought from the US source in NC? Thanks -

Brian Ellis
29-Aug-2008, 18:11
I've said it here a number of times as have other users - Feisols are very nice tripods and a great bargain. I have a Gitzo 1325 in addition to my Feisol and I rarely use the Gitzo any more. If you search here using "Feisol" you'll find plenty of messages from users of Feisols.

Anupam
29-Aug-2008, 18:21
Apart from the fact that the legs aren't anti-twist, I can't find a single flaw with my 3442. Wonderful tripod.

Mattg
29-Aug-2008, 19:46
I'm very happy with my 3371. It seemed to take a little time for the leg locks to work really smoothly but they do now after 3 months of use.

Greg Lockrey
29-Aug-2008, 20:24
I have the 3471 and it is my workhorse. I also own two older metal Gitzo's that I leave in the studio.

Merg Ross
29-Aug-2008, 20:30
I purchased my Feisol from Kerry Thalmann, who frequents this forum. A smooth transaction, and a tripod that meets my intended use. I am very satisfied. Kerry was helpful and honest in answering my concerns.

Further to your query, it might be helpful to provide your intended use; what camera, weight, head preference, etc.

Tom Micklin
29-Aug-2008, 20:32
I got a Monopod - CM-1471 in May.
Like it so much, I'll be buying one of their tripods soon.
I bought from Kerry Thallman at http://reallybigcameras.com
Excellent service - got it in just a couple days.
Tom

kev curry
29-Aug-2008, 23:11
Very pleased with the 3471 4 section pod and the big CB70 head. High quality products. The legs are rock solid under an 8x10 and the big head works like a charm, very smooth and easy to operate. After much hesitation I'm now a supporter of ball heads for view cameras. The weak point with the 'head' is the QR plate, don't get me wrong its very well made indeed and its a precision fit to the quick release clamp, but its too small at 47x100mm to solidly house the 8x10, its a problem for me to try and solve, pity they don't make a 100x100mm QR plate. This would not be an issue with 5x4 of course.

kev

Daniel_Buck
30-Aug-2008, 00:49
I do wish one was made with legs that will lock at any angle. like my Rise :-(

Mark Fisher
30-Aug-2008, 07:39
I really like mine....the locks work well, it is light, it supports all my cameras (OK, the old Eastman 8x10 is shaky, but will be find once I make a tripod block for it). I'm using the smaller Kirk ball head (BH2?) and it seems like a good match. For reference, I'm using the second largest one with 4 section legs and bouught from Kerry (a true gentleman).

Curt Palm
30-Aug-2008, 15:07
i have the CT-3342, very nice. it is one of the upgrades that allowed me to take my 4x5 on a 7 night backpacking trip. I can now stand up straight and look through the ground glass also.

Terence McDonagh
30-Aug-2008, 17:23
I got the 3442 and the medium ball head, and I love it. Huge upgrade from my Manfrotto/Bogen. I use it for everything but the 8x10 and 8x20. I plan on getting the 3441, and maybe one of the big ones to replace my Gitzo panzer tripod.

eric mac
30-Aug-2008, 23:01
I've had mine (3442) out a couple of times with a 4x10. Solid tripod although the light weight is deceiving. The jury is still out on the ballhead, though not on build, but more of a personal preference on having always used a 3 way.

Eric

weasel
31-Aug-2008, 04:51
I posted a thread about tripods a few weeks back, and while I did not buy a Feisol, I would not hesitate to do so.
Kerry Thalmann of Really Big Cameras, emailed me all sorts of good advice and info about the tripods, spending a lot of time and effort to help me out. I would definitely give him my business.

Joe Lipka
31-Aug-2008, 05:19
My Feisol gets it first test in a few weeks. In practice sessions (you do practice, don't you?) the tripod sets up quickly and seems very solid for the weight. I think it will do nicely in the field.

I did get mine from Kerry, it arrived quickly and was packed well.

Aahx
2-Sep-2008, 13:33
I picked up a 3472 this spring and I love it for backpacking. Its a bit bulky, but still so light I hardly notice it strapped to my backpack. I was using an old heavy Alluminum Gitzo head on it, but just recently went with an Acratech GV2 head that looks tiny on it, but works great. Its what I will be taking with me on my Yellowstone trip next week.

Jan Pedersen
2-Sep-2008, 13:44
Bought the 3471 from Kerry Thalmann a few months ago and could not be happier. Use it primarily for 8x10 with a Bogen/Manfrotto 410 head and without center collumn.
Excellent value for the money.

snip
2-Oct-2008, 08:09
Waking up this thread as I am currently considering replacing my "Lightweight" Tripod (An old Manfrotto Pro190) with either a Feisol or a Gitzo, in the Gitzo corner we have the 2330 at £180 or the 2340L at £235. In the Feisol corner I guess it would be 3401 at £185 with center column or 3371 at £290 with same.

Interestingly here the smaller Gitzo has 3 sections vs 4 on the Feisol side and vice verca on the large comparison, these are the best direct matches I could find, either I have done something wrong or the two manufacturers are following different philosophies here.

Now correct me if I'm wrong but I would wager a guess that the fewer the sections the more stable the tripod?

Considering that the direct price comparison is almost on par with the smaller tripod lets stick to that example, is the Feisol really as rigid as the Gitzo? I apreciate that the Feisol is smaller when folded and weighs less.

Before you start bombarding me with "This won't hold a large format outfit" I was not really thinking of using this set of legs for my Toyo Monorail, I have a Barco thingy that I got from the classifieds here, it's like an Aluminium Ries and very large/heavy, works very well for my Monorail but I have at times used the Monorail on my 190 with only one bar attached and it has worked fairly well, so I will not rule out maybe using a small Gitzo or Feisol for this also, this would be why I am considering the larger ones.

Comments please.

//Jan

snip
2-Oct-2008, 09:46
Waking up this thread
//Jan

Just realised what a plonker I am, this thread is active not old, I looked at the last posters join date and thought that was the date of the post, ehehehe.

//Jan

Cesare Berti
2-Oct-2008, 10:17
Purchased a CT3441SB from Kerry in August and used it on a three week trip to the UK. The tripod performed flawlessly, light, steady, quick to set up and best of all it fit in my carry on bag/camera bag.

Needless to say Kerry was great to deal with answering many questions on a suitable tripod to buy taking into consideration the cameras I planned on using for the trip.

Cesare Berrti

snip
3-Oct-2008, 00:16
Purchased a CT3441SB from Kerry in August and used it on a three week trip to the UK. The tripod performed flawlessly, light, steady, quick to set up and best of all it fit in my carry on bag/camera bag.

Needless to say Kerry was great to deal with answering many questions on a suitable tripod to buy taking into consideration the cameras I planned on using for the trip.

Cesare Berrti

Which sort of cameras did you use with the 3441? because that is seriously lightweight.

//Jan

Cesare Berti
3-Oct-2008, 06:23
Used a Mamiya 7 for B&W and a Nikon DSLR and medium teles during the trip.

Just finished shooting some 4x5's (TMY 400) with my Technika V without problems but I replaced the CB30 ball head with a larger head. While obviously not ideal, the combination would not do well in windy or difficult conditions, weight saving and portability were important considerations.

snip
3-Oct-2008, 08:02
Used a Mamiya 7 for B&W and a Nikon DSLR and medium teles during the trip.

Just finished shooting some 4x5's (TMY 400) with my Technika V without problems but I replaced the CB30 ball head with a larger head. While obviously not ideal, the combination would not do well in windy or difficult conditions, weight saving and portability were important considerations.

I have an Arcatech Z-ball head how well does it balance extended up to eye level with your Technika? I am concerned that it would wobble quite badly.

I am not mad enough to assume that the traveller tripod tripod would support my Toyo View-G but it sounds like it would be tough enough for my Hassey and my 5D (which is a bit on the heavy side with the battery grip and the RRS L plate.

//Jan

snip
3-Oct-2008, 09:19
I have an Arcatech Z-ball head how well does it balance extended up to eye level with your Technika? I am concerned that it would wobble quite badly.

I am not mad enough to assume that the traveller tripod tripod would support my Toyo View-G but it sounds like it would be tough enough for my Hassey and my 5D (which is a bit on the heavy side with the battery grip and the RRS L plate.

//Jan

I know I'm talking to myself a bit here, but I have come to the conclusion that the Feisol traveller tripod outperforms the Gitzo 2330 by being lighter, folding up smaller and extending further, question remains, is it as stable?

Comments please.

Aahx
3-Oct-2008, 11:07
Just returned from my trip to Yellowstone/Montana/Idaho last Saturday hauling all my gear in a granite gear (photobackpacker variant) with my Feisol 3472 (center collum removed) and Acratech GV2 head strapped on it, and it worked great. The 3472 seems like overkill, but with it's light wieght, it was not noticable on my back. And it was very steady for the shots I was taking on rough terrain such as steep slopes in Yellowstone and irregular lava flows in craters of the moon national monument. I was supporting both my Chamonix 45n and a Pentax 645. Being the 4 leg variant it compresses pretty nicely for fitting on the pack.

Terence McDonagh
3-Oct-2008, 11:46

//Jan

I now have the 3441 and 3442.

The 3441 is fine for the Hassie so long as winds are calm, etc., and several folks even use them for 4x5.

The 3442 is only a little longer/heavier, but is much more stable, and it's working height with a ballhead is even better, especially for a 6'-2" person like myself. The 3441 shines with lighter cameras like the Mamiya 7 and 35mm cameras.

Cesare Berti
3-Oct-2008, 12:58
I can't comment on the stability with the Arca head, I picked a cheap ($80) knock off ball head imported or made by "Cameron". The head weighs just over a pound, 570 grams?, has about a 45mm diameter ball and adds 4 inches to the overall height. Balance at eye level (6 ft) was OK, at least the dozen or so negs I shot with this combination look sharp.

I agree with Terrence that the 3442 is the better choice for stability. It was my original choice but my first priority was size and weight. I wanted a tripod to fit in my camera bag/carry on bag, the 3441 was the compromise choice for. I will probably end up buying a second larger CF tripod for local car trips etc.

Cesare Berti
3-Oct-2008, 13:17
Just to clarify my last post, when I mention 6 ft that's my height not my eye level.

Terence McDonagh
3-Oct-2008, 13:42
The problem with Feisol is that once you have one . . . you want one of each . . .

I also picked up a barely used 3371 from another person here, for my 8x10 and larger.

The 3441 with ballhead puts a Mamiya 7 at eye height for me using half the center post.

The 3442 with ballhead allows me to use Hasselblad WLF without the center column, and with the legs slightly less than fully extended.

The 3371 with a low-profile pan-tilt head lets use 8x10 at eye level with no center column.

The 3441 and 3442 are much less wobbly than my trusty Bogen 3001, despite being taller.

The 3371 compares very well with my Gitzo 1340, but at what feels like half the weight. I'd say it's just as rigid, but a little less stable in wind because of its light weight. If I'm going to carry one for more than a 1/2 mile, it'll be the Feisol.

The Feisol medium ballhead is a great bargain. Not quite equal to my Kirk, but well worth the money. It is obviously high quality, but slightly less "silky" in its movement than the Kirk. It's rigid and locks down easily. A huge improvement over my old Bogen medium ballhead.

snaefell
4-Oct-2008, 07:07
Feisol has a levelling base available (FEISOL levelling base LB-7572). Does anyone know if this fits into Gitzo tripods (in my case a 1349)?

snip
4-Oct-2008, 11:49
I now have the 3441 and 3442.

The 3441 is fine for the Hassie so long as winds are calm, etc., and several folks even use them for 4x5.

The 3442 is only a little longer/heavier, but is much more stable, and it's working height with a ballhead is even better, especially for a 6'-2" person like myself. The 3441 shines with lighter cameras like the Mamiya 7 and 35mm cameras.

This is lovely input, thank you.

You are the exact same height as me so that is very good, I would likely go for the 3342 instead of the 3442 as the extra 11cm folded length won't bother me, it's noticeably more expensive than a Gitzo 2330 at £214 +£39 for the centre column but it does seem a fair bit more attractive.

I think I have found the right tripod for me now. Thank you again for your input.

//Jan