PDA

View Full Version : National Parks Project - Santa Monica, CA - Sept 6/Oct 25

QT Luong
29-Aug-2008, 03:44
As many of you know, during the past 15 years, I have single-handedly documented all 58 US National Parks with my 5x7. For the first time, 58 of my color prints of size 24x36 or larger, one for each of the US National Parks will be on display.

The exhibit will run from September 6 through October 25. I hope to meet many of you at the reception (I won't be around the rest of the time):

QUANG-TUAN LUONG: "TREASURED LANDS"
Date: Saturday, September 6, 2008
Time: 5 to 8 PM.
BERGAMOT STATION.
2525 Michigan Avenue, T-1B. Santa Monica, CA 90404 (310)-453-5104

www.TGartworks.com (be sure to check directions from that site)

David A. Goldfarb
29-Aug-2008, 04:13
Congrats on the show, Tuan.

Is this your gallery (I assume from the name)? How long has it been open? Good luck!

Daniel Grenier
29-Aug-2008, 04:13
How incredibly exciting and rewarding for you, Quang-Tuan. Congratulations. Well deserved.

SaveBears
29-Aug-2008, 07:19
Wow,

Now that is a show I would love to attend, I have yet to visit them all, but it is a strong goal of mine before I pass from this earth..

Kirk Gittings
29-Aug-2008, 07:40
Good for you!. A fine accomplishment. I wish I could be there.

neil poulsen
29-Aug-2008, 07:51
Very Cool! Congratulations.

That must have been quite an effort to prepare for something of that size.

Eric James
29-Aug-2008, 07:56
Congratulations Tuan - it must have been an enormously difficult and painful task to narrow your show down to one image per park. I really wish that I could attend, but I'll have to wait for the book.

vinny
29-Aug-2008, 08:10
It's on my calendar. I hope i can make it!

Kerry L. Thalmann
29-Aug-2008, 08:18
Tuan,

This is absolutely fantastic news. I'm thrilled that your Parks Project will finally get the exhibition and recognition it deserves.

I don't know if I'll be able to make it down for the show. If there are others who won't be able to make the show, or would like a preview of the 58 wonderful images that will be on display, you can see an online version at:

http://www.tgartworks.com/quang-tuan-luong/treasured-lands/treasured-lands.html

The actual prints will be even more stunning, and I encourage everyone to attend the show if possible, but this will help give you an idea of the amazing body of work Tuan has created while pursuing his dream to photograph all the US National Parks with his 5x7 camera.

Kerry

tgtaylor
29-Aug-2008, 08:18
Congratulations QT! I wish I had an excuse to be in Santa Monica on 9/6. I'd enjoy meeting you and seeing your work.

matthew blais
29-Aug-2008, 08:21
Congrats for sure..I will try to attend.

Hugo Zhang
29-Aug-2008, 08:26
I will try to be there too. Congratulations!!!

mrladewig
29-Aug-2008, 08:40
Congrats QT. You've invested a great deal of time and energy to this project. I hope your reward is great.

John Kasaian
29-Aug-2008, 08:52
Congratulations QT! Your National Park photographs are wonderful and what a great venue for an exhibition!

BradS
29-Aug-2008, 09:35
Congrats QT ! Have to check with my accountant to see if I can make the reception. Would very much like to. Will see. Will definitely make a point to take in the show though.....Hmmm, any chance it'll come up here?

Tony Flora
29-Aug-2008, 11:12
Tuan,
Truly impressive body of work. Several years ago it was your work that lit the large format fire in me and I think you may have just convinced me to try color someday. Thank you.
Tony

ASRafferty
29-Aug-2008, 11:31
That's fabulous, Tuan, congratulations... will there, indeed, be a book? What an amazing prism through which to see this country...

john borrelli
29-Aug-2008, 15:20
Tuan I just viewed your images through the link Kerry provided. You seemed to have mastered the medium of color landscape photography. I agree with ASRafferty that your work certainly merits a book. Congratulations on your show as well.

Mark Woods
29-Aug-2008, 16:01
QT, this is great! I have it on my Calendar and hope to have my wife join me.

ASRafferty
29-Aug-2008, 16:06
Tuan, I took the liberty of sharing the link that Kerry posted with one of Ted's contacts in the NPS, and encouraged him to let anyone in the service nearby know about it... hope that's ok! They ought to be publishing it themselves, IMHO.

QT Luong
2-Sep-2008, 23:14
Thank you for the encouragements.

Terra Galleria Artworks is run by my wife, however we operate like an art gallery rather than a retail gallery, in the sense that we represent multiple artists (next show will be a 35 year retrospective of Ray McSavaney's work). There is also a possibility that in the future the gallery would be transformed into a co-op, since it is difficult for us to manage it remotely. Please feel free to contact me if you live in California and have any interest in the gallery.

There will be a book, but I have to find a way to get it published to my standards, so it might take a little while. I just turned down a very concrete publisher's offer one month ago.

The images on the gallery website represent just the work on display. To see a much larger selection of large format images from that project see http://www.terragalleria.com/large-format/parks-lf.html

Ben Chase
4-Sep-2008, 22:12
Awesome! I wish I could be there...

Phong
6-Sep-2008, 17:35
Congratulations, Tuan !
Hats of to you. What an accomplishment.
Hope the reception is going well for you today.

- Phong

Hector.Navarro
6-Sep-2008, 19:39
congratulations QT, it is quite an accomplishment!

Hector Navarro

Mark Woods
6-Sep-2008, 20:08
Reception was great with attendance by a number of LFers. Good times, GREAT photography, good attendance, and good wine & cheese. What more could a LF Photographer ask for?????

domenico Foschi
6-Sep-2008, 22:17
It was a great show.
QT's images grace beautifully the wall of the gallery.
Nice big 24x36 images, sometime bigger.
I have had the pleasure to meet QT who is one the most soft spoken, kind persons I have ever met.
It was nice to meet Mr. Woods and see again Matthew Blais, Vinny and Hugo.
I had the chance to speak for a while with Ray McSavaney a wonderful photographer who will have his work hanging in QT's gallery in November.
All in all a great evening

matthew blais
7-Sep-2008, 00:34
It was a great show.
QT's images grace beautifully the wall of the gallery.
Nice big 24x36 images, sometime bigger.
I have had the pleasure to meet QT who is one the most soft spoken, kind persons I have ever met.....
All in all a great evening

Ditto...and a very nice gallery space.

vinny
7-Sep-2008, 09:27
Great show QT. Nice space and well put-together. It was good to meet the man behind the forum. Also nice to meet Hugo, thanks for bringing Domenico!

dsim
7-Sep-2008, 21:37
Hi everyone,

My first post even though I've read these forums for several years. Unaware that Terra Galleria Artworks was closed today I passed by to have a look at QT' images. QT was there and allowed my daughter and I the pleasure of looking around.

The web does not do justice to these prints. Stunning is a word that comes to mind. QT is a very warmhearted, modest gentleman. QT took the time to answer all of the questions we had and even gave suggestions for photographing in certain locations. The thing is now my daughter wants a large format camera.

Thank you QT and the members of this forum for the knowledge you've all shared.

Dexter

QT Luong
12-Sep-2008, 14:02
I have posted images of the gallery space here: http://www.tgartworks.com/treasured-lands-exhibit.html

Eric Biggerstaff
12-Sep-2008, 17:09
Qt,

Went to the site today to see your gallery and work as I was speaking to Ray on the phone, lovely. Ray is excited about the upcoming show and I only wish I lived close by so I could come over and see your work and then Ray's. Best of luck to both of you.

Thanks,
Eric

Joe Forks
19-Jan-2009, 20:30
I don't know how I missed this. If ever a thread deserved a bump it's this one. WOW QT I am truly amazed and inspired by this volume of work, and the sheer accomplishment in itself. Congratulations, belated as it may be.

Best
Joe

cdholden
19-Jan-2009, 20:47
Kudos QT!
That shot of the barrier wall at Fort Jefferson at Dry Tortugas reminds me of an especially surreal day I spent wandering the site. It is truly a day well spent if anyone has a day to kill around Key West. You'll have to plan ahead, but it's a 2 hour boat ride (about 70 miles) each way and the observant eye will provide a lesson in history and architecture, as well as many photo ops throughout the fort. I'll make it a point to go back, but it's hard to beat a good memory. Ditch the guided tour and do your own thing if you ever get the chance to visit.

Turner Reich
20-Jan-2009, 01:34
I've never heard of anyone going to all of the parks. The project that you have spent so much time is absolutely fantastic. I love the 5x7 format and hope to have a nicer one sometime, I have a Kodak 2D 5x7 now. I'd love to see your work in person, it's got to be a real knockout from what I've only seen on the Internet. I hope there is a showing sometime again in the future.

Mark Woods
20-Jan-2009, 09:42
I've seen the work and it is inspiring.