PDA

View Full Version : Keep or sell warming filters?

Tony Flora
28-Aug-2008, 09:30
I purchased a set of filters on ebay and it came with 3 warming filters Lee 81, 81A, and 81B. I shoot all black and white except for some color Fuji instant print, although only when I can't find the black and white instant film. Is there any reason why I might want a warming filter for black and white images? I would like to purchase a good polarizer, yellow and orange filter and the sale would likely help fund that. Thanks for any replies.

Tony

Mark Woods
28-Aug-2008, 11:14
These filters are used for fine tuning the color temperature. I have the complete set and use them regularly, but I'm an anomaly amongst cinematographers. Still guys who shoot chromes use them quite often.

Aender Brepsom
28-Aug-2008, 11:56
Hi Tony,

I don't see any real use for warming filters in B&W images.
If you decide to sell them, I'd be interested in the 81A and the 81B, as I shoot colour slides. Thanks

anchored
28-Aug-2008, 21:12
Tony, neither do I see any use for warming filters for B&W films. However, as for selling... I would question if you'd get enough for them to make much of a dent in the price of a good polarizer... I don't think used filters hold value very well. That, and if you should ever decide to shoot color films later on, there's indeed a good use for them; the filters you have cover one's needs quite well, and the Lee warming filters are second to none.

CP Goerz
28-Aug-2008, 22:52
Don't just think that yellow #15 is the only colour for skies etc. I have found that warming filters are excellent for the shades of rock in the deserts here in CA. Also the deeper warm shades give a nice 'clearing' effect to shadows without the harsh boost in contrast you can get with a #15 or 22.

Frank Petronio
29-Aug-2008, 04:44
yeah just use them instead of yellows...

Tony Flora
29-Aug-2008, 05:22
I guess I was having a hard time wrapping my mind around wether or not they would affect tonal values in a black and white negative. Makes sense that they would. So any filter that affects color will affect tone? Or is that too broad of a statement? I will definitely test them out. Thank you all for the help.
Tony

Frank Petronio
29-Aug-2008, 05:36
You should test of course, but if you set the 81A, B, C series on a light table next to Yellow 8, 15, 23... you can see where they have similar densities (or just use a spot meter to meter through them.)

Rather than darkening the blue stuff in your photo like a yellow will do, the amber yellowish-slightly magenta warming filters will darken whatever is the opposite ... err blueish-slightly greenish stuff. If find something teal colored then you're all set to rule!

Tony Flora
29-Aug-2008, 06:08
good thing I keep a color wheel in my filter case. Thanks Frank!

john borrelli
29-Aug-2008, 08:42
Some years ago, I came to the decision that as long as film photography is a hobby of mine, I will not sell any filters. It is too difficult to predict what directions I might go in in the future, so why sell something at a slight loss and then pay more later when I need it. I have small sets of quality black and white, color, and GND filters.

Tony Flora
29-Aug-2008, 11:14
I have decided to keep them, you are correct, you never know.