PDA

View Full Version : I.D. This Old 8x10

Mike Fiction
25-Aug-2008, 15:11
This was sold to me as an Eastman Kodak 2D - but looking at the front standard, if it is, it's been heavily modified. It has front shift, front tilt and geared front rise/fall.

The finish looks like a 2D, and the original bellows have the same red/burgundy color as a 2D so I'm confused...

I measured the 4x5 and 5x7 reducing backs and it's a 11.58 inch square with a 1/4 inch lip in the inside (no 8x10 back)

Can someone measure their 2D back and see if these measurements match?

I'll attach photos in a few minutes when I get them uploaded.

Mike Fiction
25-Aug-2008, 15:13
Some more photos

Mike Fiction
25-Aug-2008, 15:15
Front Swing

Mike Fiction
25-Aug-2008, 15:16
Front Tilt

Mike Fiction
25-Aug-2008, 15:18
Some more detail shots

Jim Galli
25-Aug-2008, 15:28
Yep, looks like a highly modified Kodak 2D. What does the plate under the front swing say. Military issue C2 or some such? All the mods are post mfr. but appear to be superbly thought out and executed. I'll stick my neck out and say yep a 2D 8X10 back should work perfectly. Don't scrimp on bellows. Get the lightest bendiest one possible as that front will be taxed with all the extra goodies it has to perform now.

Glenn Thoreson
25-Aug-2008, 15:31
It sure looks like a 2D to me. The back measurements are correct and the hardware looks correct, except for the mods on the front standard. If it's not factory modified, it sure could pass for it. Someone did a nice job on it. You better fix it up. It would be a great user. Or, send it to me for safe keeping. No charge. :D

BarryS
25-Aug-2008, 15:48
Outstanding find and definitely a 2D. That's the nicest 2D front standard mod I've seen. That camera deserves some nice restoration work and a good bellows, and you'll have a very fine and unique camera.

Frank Petronio
25-Aug-2008, 16:59
What did you pay Mike?

Mark Sawyer
25-Aug-2008, 17:26
The thing that definitely gives it away as a 2d is the three grooves running down the sides of the rails. There were a lot of other cameras very, very similar to the 2d, but they had only 2 grooves. But it looks like you're missing the slider block that goes underneath and runs in the bottom groove. Keep an eye out for one...

Mike Fiction
25-Aug-2008, 17:41
Thanks guys! - once I got it up on a tripod I found the badge on the bottom of the front standard (i had missed it when it was on the floor) - definitely a 2D. Just heavily modified. It's got a couple missing parts, the rear swing knobs have been removed/lost. Otherwise, it's in decent shape mechanically - the worst part is the bellows, and the physical appearance.

I'm going to attempt to make the bellows myself 1st and only if I fail will I buy a commercial replacement (camerabellows.com)

Frank, I picked it all up for $100 - came with a sliding 5x7 back, a 4x5 back, a 6x6 Packard shutter with 3 1/4th in. hole and 5 new blank lens boards.

Need to source an 8x10 back and the slider block.

What's the point of a sliding 5x7 back? So you can make 2 exposures on 1 piece of film? I don't think I need this back, I'd rather have a regular 5x7 back. And I don't need the 4x5 back either, I already have two 4x5's :)

I would trade someone the sliding 5x7 back for a regular 5x7 back... or an 8x10 back.

W K Longcor
25-Aug-2008, 18:30
The "sliding" 5x7 on my camera is an adaptor that fits between camera body and a regular 5x7 back. Check yours out -- You may have a regular 5x7 there -- on top of the slider.

Mike Fiction
25-Aug-2008, 18:57
It's definitely just a sliding 5x7 back, no way to remove it - It could be torn apart and turned into a regular 5x7 back, but I don't want to destroy it.

Unless I have to :)

Merg Ross
25-Aug-2008, 21:30
The 5x7 sliding back was used for studio portraiture; as you suggest, two exposures on a single sheet. I used one early in my career before roll film became popular in studios, and sheet film declined. The large negative was easy to retouch; my bread and butter years were, of course, before the advent of digital photography. I don't suppose that there is a strong demand for negative retouchers these days.

Enjoy the fun, you have a great camera!

Jim Galli
25-Aug-2008, 22:11
I don't suppose that there is a strong demand for negative retouchers these days.

Oh! Thou dost err. I'll send you about 1500 of mine. ;)

Captain_joe6
25-Aug-2008, 22:46
About that sliding block: I know there's an orphan one at Blue Moon Camera in Portland, OR. I've seen it with my own eyes and I know exactly what it is, just knot what it fits. You should give them a call and ask for Jake, who should know where it is, what it is, and help you figure out if it will fit what you've got. Just in case though, it is sitting on or near the corner shelf between the two glass cases surrounding their color processor. He'd probably let you have it for a song.

Mike Fiction
27-Aug-2008, 05:49
The restoration has begun - I'll make a new thread tonight and post photos as I go along to document the process.

I'm not a fan of the front shift mod - makes the front standard way too flimsy but I have some ideas to try that will keep the mod working, but make it much more stable.