PDA

View Full Version : Korona vs Folmer

Allen in Montreal
24-Aug-2008, 20:59
Does anyone know what are the principal differences between similar cameras made by Korona and by Folmer are?

John Kasaian
24-Aug-2008, 21:15
Are you referring to the banquet cameras?

The Koronas usually have longer bellows. The Folmer Schwings have a tilting lensboard and take film holders with a groove instead of a ridge to lock into place.

I have a 12x20 Folmer Schwing. It's a peach but I could have easily ended up with a Korona. Being a photo equipment "bottom feeder" I take what I can get and the Folmer was a very good deal! :)

John Bowen
25-Aug-2008, 04:16
the film holders are different. Lots of Korona style holders around, so so many FS style. Of course you could always modify your FS camera to accept Korona style holders.

Steve Sherman
25-Aug-2008, 04:18
Are you referring to the banquet cameras?

The Koronas usually have longer bellows. The Folmer Schwings have a tilting lensboard and take film holders with a groove instead of a ridge to lock into place.

I have a 12x20 Folmer Schwing. It's a peach but I could have easily ended up with a Korona. Being a photo equipment "bottom feeder" I take what I can get and the Folmer was a very good deal! :)

I owned a F&S 7x17 for years and have used the Korona 7x17. The Folmer is a much sturdier camera while the limited bellows is a negative. There are ways around that if you are considering buying the F&S. F&S film holders are much harder to find unless you have them made specific to your camera