PDA

View Full Version : Zeiss Planar 135mm f/5.6 Linhof

zoneVIII
24-Aug-2008, 10:39
Does anyone know how much it's price now in mint condition, thanks a bunch

Sheldon N
24-Aug-2008, 12:18
Do you mean f/3.5? There are several different versions too, so it depends on how new it is and which generation.

David A. Goldfarb
24-Aug-2008, 12:25
I know of three versions. The earliest is usually in a special shutter that fits in a special Linhof recessed lensboard so the lens can close with the camera. The second version, which I have, is in a regular Compur 1 shutter usually and doesn't close with the camera. Then there was a batch of 100 of these lenses made with T* coating for the Japanese market. The first two are similar in value, while the late one often sells for considerably more.

If the lens has a Tech V/Master Tech cam with a matching serial number on the top of the cam and no serial number on the bottom, that would add to the value of the lens. If it has a Tech IV cam with a matching serial number on top of the cam, and the serial number of the camera body it was mated to on the bottom of the cam, then it would only add value if it were together with the original body.

Peter K
24-Aug-2008, 12:46
The Planar 135mm f/3.5 was also aviable, 1975, mounted in a Compur-electronic 1 shutter.

Tony Karnezis
24-Aug-2008, 13:10
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=260277294507&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=016

Are you referring to this lens? If so, I was wondering what's so special about it, if anything. (If this is not the subject of your inquiry, I don't mean to hijack the thread).

David A. Goldfarb
24-Aug-2008, 13:30
That's the one I have, with a Tech V/MT cam, and it's a nice lens, but it's not worth $2500. The T* version goes for about that much. The auction has a link to another of the same type that sold for $2900, which in my opinion is too much.

Sheldon N
24-Aug-2008, 14:46
Wow, $2900 US for an older planar. That is nutty! I thought those sold for more in the $1k+ range, with the even older 58mm size planar down around $700-900.

Maybe the fact that it went to a UK buyer but was in USD makes a difference... 2900 USD is only 1570 GBP.

David A. Goldfarb
24-Aug-2008, 14:56
In any case, the seller of the lens with the starting price of $2500 is a knowledgeable guy. I've bought an item or two from him before. He also takes goods on consignment. It's possible that he or a consigner saw the $2900 sale and is just trying to make hay while the sun shines, knowing perfectly well that it's way overpriced.

Frank Petronio
24-Aug-2008, 15:04
It's like the Leica Noctilux, it went from selling in the high teens - low two thousands only 3-4 years ago to fetching over $6000 regularly now. Meanwhile you can buy a Canon 50.1.2 LTM for $500 and you'd have a near impossible time distinguishing which lens made the photo.

Silly. If you want the same effect, buy a $750 135/3.5 Xenotar, which is pretty much the same thing.

Allen in Montreal
24-Aug-2008, 19:18
Does anyone know how much it's price now in mint condition, thanks a bunch

I have one of those lenses, a touch older given the serial number, and the shutter is a little different.

I love it, nice lens.

$2500.00??

That flippen' nuts! trust me, its a nice piece of glass, but it isn't the second coming.
You really want it that badly, just buy me Will's 7x17 and box of film and I'll ship you my lens! :)

Disclaimer:
I am kidding, my lens was given to me by an old friend and fellow fotog of my late dad. I would never see myself selling the lens for that reason, not because it is the ultimate piece of glass.

Keep your eye out for a better deal than even this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=170243504199&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=007

zoneVIII
24-Aug-2008, 19:38
thanks a lot for u all, i just got mine in serial number 4.11 mil in linhof recessed board, black syncro compur (sorry i mean zeiss planar 135mm f/3.5 my mistake wrote f/5.6 in earlier post), my friend give to me to replaced my pentax sport meter that he broke

Allen in Montreal
24-Aug-2008, 20:10
thanks a lot for u all, i just got mine in serial number 4.11 mil in linhof recessed board, black syncro compur (sorry i mean zeiss planar 135mm f/3.5 my mistake wrote f/5.6 in earlier post), my friend give to me to replaced my pentax sport meter that he broke

Great deal! Buy him a beer. You will enjoy the lens. Post one of your first exposures with your thoughts on the lens if you can.

Sheldon N
24-Aug-2008, 20:18
I think you got the better end of the deal there!

Here's a good thread with information on how to determine which version your planar is. I'm guessing it's a 58mm front element, but you can double check.

http://photo.net/large-format-photography-forum/003YQf

zoneVIII
24-Aug-2008, 20:53
Yeah that lens Tony thanks.
Thanks Sheldon, it has 58mm filter thread, i've read that too but Mr. Thalmann referred to the T* one, I will post it Allen

LH1H17
30-Aug-2008, 17:45
It's like the Leica Noctilux, it went from selling in the high teens - low two thousands only 3-4 years ago to fetching over $6000 regularly now. Meanwhile you can buy a Canon 50.1.2 LTM for $500 and you'd have a near impossible time distinguishing which lens made the photo.

Silly. If you want the same effect, buy a $750 135/3.5 Xenotar, which is pretty much the same thing.

I have the later T* version of the 135mm Zeiss f/3.5 Planar and I have seen the Xenotar as well. These lenses are not even close... the Xenotar barely covers 4x5 and is soft wide open. The Zeiss covers with movements and is tack sharp with creamy bokeh wide open. There are many examples of 35mm lenses that are easily 5x more expensive than their close cousins due to their wide open characteristics... such as the Nikon 50mm f1.2 and the "Noct" 58mm f1.2 ;)