PDA

View Full Version : Older Wooden 7X11 Back-What Camera is it For?

audioexcels
23-Aug-2008, 23:21
Anyone have any idea what camera this was made for? It is basically 11X11 on the square part that fits in, and looks to be right about 11.5"X11.5" total. It is described as being an "adapting" back for an 8X10 camera. Logic tells me that it would fit since a standard 8X10 square back is something in the 12ish inch range, but I'm having trouble understanding how the 11" side will not interfere with the smaller opening from the bellows that is made for a 10" side of an 8X10 cam.

Anyone want to take a shot at this...Jim G?

D. Bryant
24-Aug-2008, 05:39
since a standard 8X10 square back is something in the 12ish inch range,
I don't think there is a standard 8x10 square back.

Don Bryant

wfwhitaker
24-Aug-2008, 06:02
Are there any markings? Sometimes stamped lettering can be dulled and partially obliterated over the course of a hundred years. It looks Eastman, judging from the springs. But that could be misleading. It could be an adapter made by a third party to fit an Eastman back to another camera altogether. You may have to play "Cinderella" with this one.

Not sure of your question. The image projected by a lens is essentially a cone expanding toward the film. A 7x11 back would fit if offset to the rear by a small amount.

Annie M.
24-Aug-2008, 07:36
I belive what you have there is an Eastman 7x11 back that has an additional possibly home brew piece for the 'adaptor' which as well as allowing the back to be attached to the camera moves the film back a 1/2 inch or so to allow for the 11 inch image.

Jim Galli
24-Aug-2008, 08:26
I belive what you have there is an Eastman 7x11 back that has an additional possibly home brew piece for the 'adaptor' which as well as allowing the back to be attached to the camera moves the film back a 1/2 inch or so to allow for the 11 inch image.

I would concur and add that it looks like it may fit a Century 10A Studio 8X10 because of the rather deep inset area.

audioexcels
24-Aug-2008, 09:07
Thanks everyone. It comes with some Eastman/Kodak based tabbed holders along with an agfa one that fits into it perfectly.

There isn't anything to describe its maker.

I was thinking the same thing about the thickness-has to go into a thicker backed older wood camera, which many (most?) of them have including the ones Jim mentioned. And it must be a similar concept as the 5X7 back onto a 4X5 rear standard, but alas, nothing so dramatic or protruding as the 4X5 to 5X7 adapter.

I suppose a question would be, does anyone use something similar to this with their 8X10 setup and does that extra 1/2" or so of thickness to adapt to the 8X10 camera interfere at all with the overall operational/functionality of shooting 7X11 as the 4X5 to 5X7 backs can involve the issues that they do?

I'd like to find an older 8X10 camera and make use of the 7X11 back to see just how I like the larger sheet film and if I am able to make good enough use of it to make it my mainstay format or if I would end up simply using it as a specialized cam=for portraiture (DOF on its side), have to find a way to use it for landscape (DOF issues) since I cannot avoid shooting her, and other various context...which would be enough for me to see if I like working with the format. I know for sure I like seeing through whole plate glass vs. half plate and obviously 4X5, so the larger GG is very soothing, naturally:)!

Thanks again everyone for your posts so far.

Darren Kruger
24-Aug-2008, 11:02
Anyone have any idea what camera this was made for? It is basically 11X11 on the square part that fits in, and looks to be right about 11.5"X11.5" total.

I just checked and the back I have for my 8x10" Eastman Home Portrait No 3 has the same dimensions. The springs on my back look different that yours but the pins brackets the springs connect to look the same and so does some of the wood working. Maybe a home brew conversion of an old 8x10 back?

-Darren