PDA

View Full Version : Chamonix Reflex Viewer

Peter De Smidt
22-Aug-2008, 20:31
Does anyone have any info on the Chamonix Reflex Viewer?

gevalia
23-Aug-2008, 18:02
I ordered one with my 4x5 which I got a month ago. The viewer was on backorder and Hugo told me it would be shipped this coming week. I'll post a write-up when I receive it.

Peter De Smidt
23-Aug-2008, 18:56
Thanks, Gevalia. I look forward to hearing about it.

gevalia
31-Aug-2008, 04:43
Well, the reflex viewer was due last week. Hugo responded to my email saying that his contact at the factory was away. I have no expected delivery date. This is a frustratingly long wait on this.

Peter De Smidt
31-Aug-2008, 06:44
Sorry to hear about that. Do keep us updated.

pgmj
1-Sep-2008, 03:19
Hugo sent me this link with pictures of the folding viewer and other accessories:

http://forum.xitek.com/sorthread.php?threadid=441511&pagenumber=71

Aender Brepsom
23-Sep-2008, 04:38
Here are the details that I was given by Hugo Zhang a few days ago:

"The reflex viewfinder is attached to the camera by a quick-lock device and with practice you can mount and dismount it to the camera back within seconds.

It will be available in about three weeks and the price is $300.

The folding viewer will be available in about three weeks too and it attaches to the camera the same way as the reflex viewer. It is $40."

I have ordered both.

ljsegil
23-Sep-2008, 08:00
Will a Linhof 4x5 reflex viewer work for the Chamonix?
LJS

gevalia
23-Sep-2008, 10:12
I am still waiting for my Reflex Viewer that was suppose to arrive in August with my 4x5.

Here are the details that I was given by Hugo Zhang a few days ago:

"The reflex viewfinder is attached to the camera by a quick-lock device and with practice you can mount and dismount it to the camera back within seconds.

It will be available in about three weeks and the price is $300.

The folding viewer will be available in about three weeks too and it attaches to the camera the same way as the reflex viewer. It is $40."

I have ordered both.

Anupam
23-Sep-2008, 10:49
The folding viewer looks great for composing, but I wonder if there is a way to use a focusing loupe with it. Anyone used it yet?

Aender Brepsom
23-Sep-2008, 11:40
I strongly doubt that you could use a loupe with the reflex viewer. It is used to compose the image, but has to be removed before you can use the loupe on the groundglass. I was a bit worried about how easyly and quickly that can be done, because if it is too fiddly, I won't use the reflex viewer. But since it is attached by some quick-lock device, there shouldn't be any problem.
You can of course use a loupe with the folding viewer.

BarryS
23-Sep-2008, 11:45
The folding viewer looks great for composing, but I wonder if there is a way to use a focusing loupe with it. Anyone used it yet?

It's not possible to use a loupe with the folding hood--that's probably the biggest draw back. I wonder if it'd be possible to come up with a long tubed loupe of the same approximate magnification? That would be handy. The viewer is easy to put on and take off, but it's inconvenient constantly removing and replacing while checking critical focus and making adjustments.

Rafael Garcia
25-Sep-2008, 18:42
I didn't see what either is in the link posted above... would someone kindly provide a photo of the folding type?

BarryS
25-Sep-2008, 18:47
I didn't see what either is in the link posted above... would someone kindly provide a photo of the folding type?

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=39735&highlight=chamonix+folding

Rafael Garcia
26-Sep-2008, 07:44
Thanks!

Alan Rabe
26-Sep-2008, 11:22
Quite frankly this thing looks pretty useless, you can't really get any closer to th gg than it is long. I was thinking something more along the lines of a bag bellows would be more functional for close focusing.

BarryS
26-Sep-2008, 11:38
Quite frankly this thing looks pretty useless, you can't really get any closer to th gg than it is long. I was thinking something more along the lines of a bag bellows would be more functional for close focusing.

I guess it depends on the lighting conditions and your eyesight, but I'd say it's useful with some limitations. A bellows type hood would be great, so it could be compressed enough to use a loupe.

buze
28-Sep-2008, 03:00
I used a crown graphic for a long time before I got the Chamonix, and I was happy with the folding hood for 95% of my shots. Including precise focussing! You just can't beat the compact size of that.

Alan Rabe
30-Sep-2008, 08:06
I use a pair of reading glasses with a flip down 3x magnifier attached. I don't use a loop at all. But with a bag bellows I could squeze into 3-4 inches from the GG which is where the magifier focuses at.

gevalia
5-Oct-2008, 04:07
Peter,

I received the Chamonix Reflex Viewer a few days ago (backorder from July/August shipment) . It is a demo version which was sent so that I would have it for my vacation. My copy was suppose to be 95% of the end product but I will say that it is solid and I would say 100%. I don't have a scale but it feels about the weight of a DD fidelity film holder. You attach it using the 4 screwheads (not really what they are but I don't know the name) you use to attach the GG protector. You slide it over them and then lock them using 2 sliding screws much like the 2 screws on the bottom of the front standard that you move side-to-side to allow tilts. It locks to the GG pretty easily and mine does not fall off. A little extra pressure to remove is needed. It swings around for portrait or landscape or any other angle with ease and stays there without moving.

It's solid and does what it is suppose to do. And attaches/detaches easily enough. Mine did not come with a pouch or anything to put it in and that would be nice. I'll find something though. It's pretty dusty in the canyons.

Peter De Smidt
5-Oct-2008, 07:12
Thanks Gevalia! Please let me know how you like using it in the field.

gevalia
5-Oct-2008, 07:19
Thanks Gevalia! Please let me know how you like using it in the field.

Okay. I should be back from Escalante around Oct 26th.

Bill_1856
5-Oct-2008, 08:04
Is the reflex viewer monocular or binocular? (I cound't find picture.) Thanks

gevalia
5-Oct-2008, 09:53
mono

Carioca
5-Oct-2008, 10:12
LJS

I have called Hugo last week to ask this same option.
He is checking with the company that supplies the viewfinder, as well with the one that builds his cameras, to check if there is a way to attach a Linhof viewfinder.
He mentioned that it couldn't be to difficult to accomplish.
I'll post the result as soon as he replies.

Sidney

gevalia
8-Oct-2008, 08:40
Mirror is fixed on the viewer.

Carioca
11-Oct-2008, 13:25
LJS

I've received the response of Hugo regarding mounting of the Linhof viewfinder:
No go.

I guess the only way is, to figure out one yourself.