PDA

View Full Version : yellow filter

robert fallis
22-Aug-2008, 09:38
I've got a yellow filter marked"kodisk"cloud filter, I've just used it with arista ortho lith
film , and it takes good cloud pictures. , but if I want to take "normal"
landscapes ,how many stops do I need to increase the exposure by?

bob

Joanna Carter
22-Aug-2008, 10:20
I've got a yellow filter marked"kodisk"cloud filter, I've just used it with arista ortho lith film , and it takes good cloud pictures. , but if I want to take "normal" landscapes ,how many stops do I need to increase the exposure by?
Yellow filters are usually rated at around 1 stop for a light yellow to 1 1/3 to 1 1/2 stops for deep yellow.

Glenn Thoreson
22-Aug-2008, 10:43
If I remember correctly, the Kodak Cloud Filter is just a little bit darker than a Yellow #8 (Wratten K-2) and at that time in photographic history there were no filter factors for them. What information there was, was based on the spectral response of individual films. I would try 1 to 1 1/2 stops. You will be able to judge what works best by comparing the density of subjects which do not include any blue color.

Terence McDonagh
22-Aug-2008, 11:10
Would it work to compare a meter reading with and without the filter over the sensor?

Daniel_Buck
22-Aug-2008, 12:29
Would it work to compare a meter reading with and without the filter over the sensor?

That's how I usually meter, through my filters. It works great!

Peter K
22-Aug-2008, 12:41
That's how I usually meter, through my filters. It works great!
With panchromatic material it works, but Arista ortho lith film is different in the spectral sensitivity. Kodak recommends a filter factor of 2.5 for yellow filter K2 and orthochromatic material like Contrast Process Ortho.

robert fallis
22-Aug-2008, 23:39
thanks everybody, looks like I shall have to make some test negs, starting at 1 and working to 2.5

bob

robert fallis
24-Aug-2008, 10:39
after mucking about for a day looks like the filter factor with aphs ortho is 2

bob