PDA

View Full Version : Compendium for Chamonix 4x5?

gevalia
21-Aug-2008, 18:40
I'm wondering if someone could help me out with questions on compendium shades and a Chamonix 4x5. Does anyone with a Chamonix 4x5 have one they would suggest - that would not break the bank? I need to make sure I can use it with a Cokin filter holder and ND grads/B&W filters. For 90, 125, and 210mm lenses if that's important. The usual "I'm new to LF disclaimer" applies.

I've got a vacation coming up to the SW in October and I'm trying to get use to my new equipment before then.

willwilson
22-Aug-2008, 06:03
I'm currently using a calumet/cambo lens shade that works great with a few small modifications so that it would attach to the "hot shoe" on the Chamonix. Its a little heavy but easy to adjust.

hase
22-Aug-2008, 07:14
I'm currently using a calumet/cambo lens shade that works great with a few small modifications so that it would attach to the "hot shoe" on the Chamonix. Its a little heavy but easy to adjust.

hi,
can you provide a picture of it?
thank you
vg
hase

Eric James
22-Aug-2008, 07:18
One of these would work great with the Chamonix. The quality is great and the price isn't too stiff.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?ci=0&shs=lee+cokin+p+hood&sb=ps&pn=1&sq=desc&InitialSearch=yes&O=jsp%2Fproductlist.jsp&A=search&Q=*&bhs=t&Go.x=0&Go.y=0&Go=submit

Andrey Donchev
22-Aug-2008, 07:57
I made one of black cardboard and wire hooks and I'm using three thin rubber bands to attach it to the front standard. It is light, foldable and it costs next to nothing! I also own Lee lens hood and have planes to adapt it to the camera, but so far the cardboard one meets all my needs.

gevalia
22-Aug-2008, 09:09
Thanks to all,

Now for a stupid beginner question. How does one use the compendium with lenses that support different angles? Is the bellows so stiff that it stays exactly where you open it to? I'm guuessing that it would be almost completely compressed with a 90mm on 4x5 and open a lot wider say with my 210mm. I did not see anything on that Lee version that Eric suggested (for instance) that would let you fix it to a certain opening so that it would not interfere with the lens circle.

Also, do they work with tilts? I'm only doing tilts of a few degrees (landscapes) but I do use them.

Brian Ellis
22-Aug-2008, 09:42
Thanks to all,

Now for a stupid beginner question. How does one use the compendium with lenses that support different angles? Is the bellows so stiff that it stays exactly where you open it to? I'm guuessing that it would be almost completely compressed with a 90mm on 4x5 and open a lot wider say with my 210mm. I did not see anything on that Lee version that Eric suggested (for instance) that would let you fix it to a certain opening so that it would not interfere with the lens circle.

Also, do they work with tilts? I'm only doing tilts of a few degrees (landscapes) but I do use them.

A compendium shade is basically just a flexible bellows (much like the bellows on your camera) that extends in front of the lens. The length is adjustable, i.e. you shorten the shade when using shorter lenses and extend it for longer lenses (you can do that with the Lee hood). The front of every one I've ever seen also can be adjusted so that it doesn't get in the way when you use tilts or swings. The main difference (other than price) that I remember between the Lee hood and the Linhof compendium shade I owned was that the the Lee hood attached to the lens with a retaining ring (different ring for each lens filter diameter or use one retainer with step up or step down rings to deal with lenses of different filter diameters) whereas the compendium shade attached to the accessory shoe on top of the camera.

I seem to recall that the Chamonix I owned didn't have an accessory shoe so you may have to use a Lee or similar shade that attaches to the lens.

Daniel_Buck
22-Aug-2008, 10:20
I seem to recall that the Chamonix I owned didn't have an accessory shoe so you may have to use a Lee or similar shade that attaches to the lens.
I think if you remove the front bubble level, you'll have a shoe to use.