PDA

View Full Version : Large Format lens in Japan

giancatarina
24-Apr-2001, 11:10
i intend to visit japan this year, and i would like to know what are the actual prices for this Large Format Lens i n japan (in yen or euro) ? schneider 110XL apo ronar 9/300 nikon m 9/300

Thanks by advance.

andrea milano
24-Apr-2001, 15:20
I don't know the price but it seems unlikely that a German product would be cheaper than in Europe in Japan of all places, but miracles do happen, good luck!

fw
24-Apr-2001, 18:59
Try e-mailing Yodobashi directly with your question ; they won't do mail order export, but they will probably quote yen prices for a domestic purchase. If you bring your passport with you to demonstrate that you are a tourist, you may be able to avoid the local sales tax @ 5%. It's aso worth applying for a gold card, as you can use the ppints immediately in order to purchase something else.

Geoffrey_1456
24-Apr-2001, 23:58
If you go through Hong Kong, prices there are even cheaper.

James_1802
28-Apr-2001, 11:05
I ordered a brand new Nikon -M 9/300 from Kyoto, Japan a couple of months back for 55,000 yen (Current exchange equivalant to USD$440 http://www.asiaone.com/html/currency.html) excl. shipping. That is without the tourist discount. Maybe you can get 10% less than that, perhaps just under US$400.00. I had a friend in Japan to order the lens thru their Large format mailorder source. As for Schneider 110XL, it is best to purchase directly from Germany mailorder source. with current favourable currency exchange rate. you'll save heaps and get lens that just rolled off production lines. While you are there, you might as well check out Fujinon lens as well and some of the second hand store that deals with LF lens and body. A used Toho monorail in relatively minty condition can be had for as little as US$500. Hope this helps.

Jim

James_1802
28-Apr-2001, 11:09
On Schneider lens, don't bother asking around in Japan, it will cost you an arm and a leg. Try Schneider distributor in Malaysia, maybe it could be one of the cheapest source in Asia. Try locating them thru Schneider international website.

Jim

Peter Shier
29-Apr-2001, 00:56
Jim - where did you order your Nikon M300/9 from? Do you have a URL or email address?

giancatarina
29-Apr-2001, 15:47
thanks for your answer ! by the way, i'm going to berlin this summer, i will check prices there any suggestion about shopping LF stuff in berlin or any web shops (europe) cheap er than robert white and teamwork ? thanks again

James_1802
29-Apr-2001, 18:03
It may not be that easy to locate a shop that deals with LF gears and lens in Berlin. Most shop stock 35mm and medium format gear, and if you want LF gear, it will have to be on indent order basis. But it won't take more than 3 days for them to bring it in within Germany.

In Germany, you might want to try to order from Christoph Greiner Photo.

http://www.greiner-photo.de/

His prices is very competitive for Rodenstock and Schneider Kreuznach lens.

James

James_1802
29-Apr-2001, 18:24
Peter

Try Yodobashi Camera http://www.yodobashi.co.jp/ they usually can get in items not in the store with a day or at most two. But they usually won't ship internationally unless you get someone like a friend in Japan to order it and have it ship to you. The other LF stores do not have a website but they have mail order catalogues in Japanese only. Like I mentioned earlier, I had some friends in Japan who ordered it locally and have them ship to me.

Jim