PDA

View Full Version : 90mm on Chamonix 4x5 - what board?

gevalia
20-Aug-2008, 08:24
Guys,

Up until now I have been using my 90mm Angulon with my Speed Graphics and on the Chamonix that I just received a few weeks ago. With a pocketful of bonus money, I'm looking at a Grandagon 90mm. All my lenses are on flat boards so far. Will I need a recessed board for the Grandagon 90mm f/6.8 on my Chamonix 4x5? It's in a Copol #0 shutter.

I'm fairly new (and often overwhelmed by what I need to know) to LF. I'm tired of saying that.

Also, is a recessed board the same thing as a "top hat" that I keep hearing about?

Thanks!

BarryS
20-Aug-2008, 09:00
You should be fine with a regular board for a 90mm lens. A top hat board is the opposite of a recessed board--it extends the lens out in front of the front standard. It's useful for getting a little extra extension for long lenses if you run out of bellows.

Daniel_Buck
20-Aug-2008, 09:03
I use a flat board for 90mm on chamonix, it works good. A good amount of movement is still there.

gevalia
20-Aug-2008, 09:16
Thanks guys. I was really unsure since my Angulon is essentially a pancake and the Grandagon is certainly not.

Robert Oliver
20-Aug-2008, 12:48
flat board with my 90mm nikkor

Peter De Smidt
22-Aug-2008, 14:51
Last week I used a 47mm Schneider Super Angulon on the Chamonix with a flat lens board. Hence, you should be ok,

hase
23-Aug-2008, 03:16
I also use a flat board with my 90 nikkor - in combination with universal bellows quite a lot of movement possible...

Mike Rolfe
16-Oct-2008, 04:36
Howdy all,
I'm trying to source a couple of undrilled lens boards for the Chamonix 45N. I haven't had much luck sourcing them through the Chamonix website. Are there any other boards that will fit?
Cheers
Mike.

Songyun
16-Oct-2008, 06:17
Howdy all,
I'm trying to source a couple of undrilled lens boards for the Chamonix 45N. I haven't had much luck sourcing them through the Chamonix website. Are there any other boards that will fit?
Cheers
Mike.
The official chamonix lensboard is made of carbon fiber. I don't think you can drill it yourself easily. Any linhof, toyo, nikon, wista brand board fit very well. Don't use tachihara brand lens board.

Daniel_Buck
16-Oct-2008, 08:55
Any linhof, toyo, nikon, wista brand board fit very well. .
Yes! And on a note about the 90mm, since your movement is limited, it's nice to have a board that has a center hole, instead of a lower off-set hole. The Zone VI board is the only board I have that does not have a lower off-set hole.

Songyun
16-Oct-2008, 10:36
Yes! And on a note about the 90mm, since your movement is limited, it's nice to have a board that has a center hole, instead of a lower off-set hole. The Zone VI board is the only board I have that does not have a lower off-set hole.

Daniel, I would say the opposite...
before I got my universal bellow, here is what I do, if I need extra rise. I flipped the front standard, mount the lens upside down, that gives me an extra 3mm rise from center position, or 6mm from standard linhof position. Anyway a universal bellow is very helpful if you don't shoot a lot of architecture.

Daniel_Buck
16-Oct-2008, 11:16
Daniel, I would say the opposite...
before I got my universal bellow, here is what I do, if I need extra rise. I flipped the front standard, mount the lens upside down, that gives me an extra 3mm rise from center position, or 6mm from standard linhof position. Anyway a universal bellow is very helpful if you don't shoot a lot of architecture.

I didn't think about doing that, not a bad suggestion! I do have a universal bellow on the way :)

sbaruche
10-Aug-2010, 15:26
I am New to wide angle and large format
I just received my 90mm 6,8 to put on my 45N1
when I try to focus at infinity with below maximum compression front and back parrallel I still have blurry image , I need to tilt the back backward and front to get a more compressed below and and then I can get a focus image on th gg
do I need a recessed board
Do I miss anything ?
thanks