PDA

View Full Version : Prontor control cable adjustment

SVS Inc
20-Aug-2008, 01:07
Hello guys.
I have recently got a lens in Prontor 1 shutter and a controlling cable device for it (the one which allows to control both the aperture and the shutter, see http://www.skgrimes.com/prontor/1pronspiel.jpg on the left). But it seems that this second cable has extension not long enough to perform in full. So, on first position I get half-opened shutter, and on the second - fully opened shutter, but aperture opened only to f/16.

When I screw in a different cable, the shutter works properly.

So, how can I adjust the cable so that it will extend more (for about 2mm)? Has anyone experienced same trouble?

Peter K
20-Aug-2008, 03:33
One of the cables should be adjustable. For this loosen the nut near the handle, adjust the lenght until it works properly and fix the nut again. Also the longer extension should be screwed in the lower opening. Both openings are marked with different colors. The one marked with the bright ring is the, lower, shutter opener.

Bob Salomon
20-Aug-2008, 14:45
Do you mean you have a Prontor Professional shutter? Or just the Prontor shutter?

SVS Inc
21-Aug-2008, 05:40
Peter - Thanks for the idea! I have checked that nut yesterday. It fixes the cable to the controlling box and does not provide any regulation. But I got the idea of solving the problem. The reason is the rubber cover of the cable. It slides off a bit from both ends: at that nut and at the end with adapter to the shutter. So, this adapter slides far from the box, and through the wire length remains constant, the effective extention of the cable decreases. If I push the ends of the cable inside this rubber tube, the extension increases.
But currently it is only a temporarily solution, as is slides back to the previous position after a pair of usages. I don't want to use adhesive or cut the tube, so have to think out another way.

Bob - yes, it is Prontor Professional.

Bob Salomon
21-Aug-2008, 14:12
Peter - Thanks for the idea! I have checked that nut yesterday. It fixes the cable to the controlling box and does not provide any regulation. But I got the idea of solving the problem. The reason is the rubber cover of the cable. It slides off a bit from both ends: at that nut and at the end with adapter to the shutter. So, this adapter slides far from the box, and through the wire length remains constant, the effective extention of the cable decreases. If I push the ends of the cable inside this rubber tube, the extension increases.
But currently it is only a temporarily solution, as is slides back to the previous position after a pair of usages. I don't want to use adhesive or cut the tube, so have to think out another way.

Bob - yes, it is Prontor Professional.

When you use a long throw cable release in the Prontor Pro you will feel as you depress the release a point where the aperture closes to taking aperture so you can preview. Further pushing will fire the shutter. So a long throw locking release will let you eliminate the control box. You would use the cable release socket with the white ring.

cjbroadbent
21-Aug-2008, 14:52
I have the same problem. There's no adjustment possible inside the box. But I discovered that the Bowden cable sleeve has a hidden rupture. The wound metal bowden sleeve ruptures when the control box drops, dangling from the lens.
It is now waiting at the repair shop for a Prontor replacement and I'm using two normal releases, one of which has a lock screw for the aperture. I did burn out some very important sheets of film assuming I could just open the aperture to the stopdown position. No way.