PDA

View Full Version : Post your Vermont Photos

Joseph Kayne
19-Aug-2008, 19:31
I love Vermont!!!!! Here is one...Let's see some more...

Thanks.

Joe.

Michael Graves
19-Aug-2008, 19:52
Welcome to the state, Joseph. This one's from St. Albans.

Phil
19-Aug-2008, 20:20
The Little Red Schoolhouse, St. George, VT

ASRafferty
19-Aug-2008, 20:26
Vermont in the distance from Stewartstown (photo by Ted Harris)

http://fourpointlanding.com/Notecards/Notecards-Images/8.jpg

Stephen Willard
19-Aug-2008, 20:33
I grew up in Vermont, but I now live in Colorado and do only western landscapes. I to miss and love Vermont. I am hoping this string will show images that capture the unique and distinctive essence of Vermont and its people. The three images shown above are very good, but they could have been taken any where.

Stephen Willard
19-Aug-2008, 20:36
Ted Harris's image is closer to the Vermont I remmeber.

Joseph Kayne
19-Aug-2008, 20:41
How about this one, Stephen? Great images guys!!!

Joe.

Stephen Willard
19-Aug-2008, 22:59
Joseph, that images brings back a flood emotions and memories. How I long to return to my roots of quaint small towns with church steeples all painted in white. Growing up in Vermont entitled me to an enchanting childhood where I played under the protection of towering canopies of sugar maple trees and fields of lush green grass.

Have you got any others?

Ed Pierce
20-Aug-2008, 03:55
Winter is coming...

Joseph Kayne
20-Aug-2008, 16:47
Joseph, that images brings back a flood emotions and memories. How I long to return to my roots of quaint small towns with church steeples all painted in white. Growing up in Vermont entitled me to an enchanting childhood where I played under the protection of towering canopies of sugar maple trees and fields of lush green grass.

Have you got any others?

here is one...

Joseph Kayne
20-Aug-2008, 16:48
here is one...

ASRafferty
20-Aug-2008, 18:12
By the way... this thread reminds me to mention that, about three years ago, Ted connected with the NPS folks at the Marsh Billings Rockefeller estate in Woodstock, VT (about half an hour from our house), and had made a good deal of progress on the way to getting permission to photograph the art there... and, I think I remember, was either able to or going to see negatives from Carleton Watkins' photographs, which are archived there as well. He was pretty excited about it... maybe something someone else close by would be interested in too.

http://www.nps.gov/mabi/historyculture/collections.htm

While he was immersed in the library at the estate, I would go see the cows at Billings Farm... happy days in Woodstock :)

Benno Jones
21-Aug-2008, 08:41
My parents moved to Vermont right after I graduated from High School in 1979, and while I've taken many pictures there none are on LF gear :(

Robert Budding
21-Aug-2008, 17:32
Fantastic shots, Joseph. They made me smile.

Joseph Kayne
21-Aug-2008, 19:14
Fantastic shots, Joseph. They made me smile.

Thanks.

Here is another one...

jnantz
21-Aug-2008, 19:26

Stephen Willard
21-Aug-2008, 20:51
Yes Jospeh, there is lots of red barns. You cannot dwell in Vermont without having a red barn. Red barns, white homesteads, and a sugar maple shack out back is an integral part of the farming culture in Vermont. It is very much holistic with an independent people seeking self sufficiency.

After seeing this string, I went out and bought my wife and I some plane tickets to Vermont for late fall. I have no intentions of bring my camera. I do not want any distractions except with my interactions with the people, the land, and the colonial architecture.

Hmm, I can smell that thick moist air and the decaying fall leaves as I write this...

Stephen Willard
21-Aug-2008, 21:33
By the way... this thread reminds me to mention that, about three years ago, Ted connected with the NPS folks at the Marsh Billings Rockefeller estate in Woodstock, VT (about half an hour from our house), and had made a good deal of progress on the way to getting permission to photograph the art there... and, I think I remember, was either able to or going to see negatives from Carleton Watkins' photographs, which are archived there as well. He was pretty excited about it... maybe something someone else close by would be interested in too.

http://www.nps.gov/mabi/historyculture/collections.htm

While he was immersed in the library at the estate, I would go see the cows at Billings Farm... happy days in Woodstock :)

I used to live just across the Ottauquechee River from the Billing estate on Elm St. two houses down on the east side in a restored slate cottage that was recessed about 70 yards in from Elm Street. I loved Woodstock, and I used to take walks on the Billings estate all the time. There was a beautiful old barn with an amazing green copper roof in the forest about a 1/4 mile behind the main house. We shopped at Gillinghams for most of our provisions, and my daughter was born in Woodstock. Wow, my brain is being washed out with all of these amazing memories that I have not thought about in years...

Louie Powell
22-Aug-2008, 05:32
Pawlet, Vermont

ASRafferty
22-Aug-2008, 06:10
I went out and bought my wife and I some plane tickets to Vermont for late fall. I have no intentions of bring my camera. I do not want any distractions except with my interactions with the people, the land, and the colonial architecture.

Stephen, even if you don't bring your camera, you really may want to stop by the M-B-R house and talk with one of the rangers about the Watkins photos and the archived materials... Annette (the curator, if you will?) was very "giving" with info and look-sees. Feel free to mention "Ted Harris" if you do... my name won't mean anything to her, but his will.

Don't forget brunch at the Inn on Sunday... :)

Stephen Willard
22-Aug-2008, 08:39
ASRafferty, will do. Ah yes, brunch at the Inn. I had forgotten all about those. We use to have brunch there every Sunday at the Woodstock Inn.

RichardRitter
24-Aug-2008, 12:20
Bright and Star oxen with their play toy.

Nathan Potter
24-Aug-2008, 15:17
Richard, Great photo pitting old against new technology. Does this imply a "tug of war" was about to take place?

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

RichardRitter
24-Aug-2008, 15:31
No just removing a lawn ornament. Most true Vermonter's have at less one abandon car in their front yard.

Hany Aziz
25-Aug-2008, 05:05
Typical Vermont street scene.

Sincerely,

Hany.

bsimison
25-Aug-2008, 10:18
No just removing a lawn ornament. Most true Vermonter's have at less one abandon car in their front yard.

I thought there was something about Vermont that reminded me of home (Citronelle, Alabama).

Here are a few sheets (http://www.brettsimison.com/gallery/vermont/1/) of some Vermont work I've gathered over the last year.

John Bowen
25-Aug-2008, 10:59
Bright and Star oxen with their play toy.

Knowing the exact location of this image just brings a :D

Bruce Barlow
25-Aug-2008, 12:30
You are all just jealous that you don't have bovines in YOUR front yard.

BTW, they've reduced my mowing by 75%.

John Bowen
25-Aug-2008, 13:23

Just don't tell my son, or else I'll have bovines in my front yard :eek:

Navy Moose
25-Aug-2008, 17:25
You are all just jealous that you don't have bovines in YOUR front yard.

Maybe I should think about renting a pair of bovine to reduce my mowing. I don't think my neighbors would like it though. :)

Bruce Barlow
26-Aug-2008, 04:06
While the two Milking Shorthorns towing the bulldozer are training to be oxen, there was an Angus (a nasty brute) at Mike's farm who was about the same age. He broke out of the trailer on the "one way ride," and Mike and my wife spent an hour and a half in the pouring rain rounding him up out of the bushes.

But I can report that he tastes really good, and there's a lot of him still in the freezer.

Bruce Barlow
26-Aug-2008, 04:13
Oh, and here's Hillary right-side-up. This one's a little old, but she's like fine wine.