PDA

View Full Version : Color processing

Tintype Bob
19-Aug-2008, 10:08
Hi all - Hope you are all haveing a great Summer - I have been a B&W photographer for a long time - but now I want to move into 4 x 5 Color, but dont know what lab to use or even how to send the film - any help?????

Gene McCluney
19-Aug-2008, 10:33
For the best results, you should learn how to do it at home. But if you must send it off, and I am not recommending any lab, you should put your exposed sheets back into the factory film box, and tape it all over to seal it, and write on it "EXPOSED UNPROCESSED FILM..DO NOT OPEN IN LIGHT" Put this on the front and back of the outside box, so it can't be overlooked. Alternative phrase could be "EXPOSED UNPROCESSED FILM, OPEN IN DARKROOM ONLY" Be sure to also label what "type" of film. Such as "Ektachrome EPP, Process E6"

Tintype Bob
19-Aug-2008, 12:41
Thanks - I wish I had the time and money to start to do my own - but for now the info you gave helps a lot.

reellis67
19-Aug-2008, 12:58
I use A and I myself, but I know people who use a place called Chromatics and like the results. Chomatics have a form that you can print out and send along with your film, while A and I just ask for a note explaining what you want done.

I keep a small pile of 4x5 boxes on hand, along with the nice black plastic pouches that come with Ilford films, for sending sheet film in for processing. I put the exposed sheets between the cardboard, then into the bag, then the three box halves, just like unexposed film comes. I then covered the top and bottom box shells with labels that says 'Please return to (and my name and address)' so that I get them back (still using the same one after all this time!). It's not a bad idea to label the bag as well, just in case. I tape the box shut, slip a note on it that states 'Exposed E-6 film' and rubber band my note with developing instructions, my name, address, phone, etc. and send it in a USPS Priority box. In the past I've also used padded envelopes, but one got torn in shipping (the boxes saved the film) so now I prefer the boxes with a little packing material for padding. I've never had any problems and the film comes back in nice little individual sleeves after about a week.

- Randy

Tintype Bob
19-Aug-2008, 15:06
Thanks - you all have given me so much information I can't waite to get started. THANKS AGAIN