PDA

View Full Version : Polymax fine art ??

Allen in Montreal
18-Aug-2008, 17:59
Digging deep in the freezer today, I found a box of Polymax Fine Art double weight that I completely forgot about. I have never used this paper, any thoughts or suggestions before I crack it open?

Alex Hawley
18-Aug-2008, 19:44
Enjoy it! ??? ;)

I just haven't quite found another VC paper that works as well.

Allen in Montreal
18-Aug-2008, 19:57
Enjoy it! ??? ;)

Thanks, I don't recall a thing about why I bought this box. :(
Best for skin tones? Landscapes? Any particular characteristics?
I only seem to have one box of 100 sheets to play with.

I found a box of Azo in there too, but I do know what to do with that! :)

Jim Fitzgerald
19-Aug-2008, 08:46
Thanks, I don't recall a thing about why I bought this box. :(
Best for skin tones? Landscapes? Any particular characteristics?
I only seem to have one box of 100 sheets to play with.

I found a box of Azo in there too, but I do know what to do with that! :)

Allen, send them both to me for testing! Especially the Azo! Enjoy!

Jim

Robert A. Zeichner
19-Aug-2008, 09:10
It's a good thing it's frozen as it's quite likely if it were more than a year out of date it would be fogged. It's wonderful paper, but has poor shelf life compared to others. Check the box and see where it was made - US, Canada or Brazil. The US and Canadian stuff tones differently (at least in my experience). I never liked the Brazilian stuff as much, but it's still fine paper.

Toyon
19-Aug-2008, 10:13
Polymax requires extended washing and hypo-clearing before toning, or it will develop mottling. Otherwise it is a pretty good paper.

Bruce Barlow
19-Aug-2008, 12:29
More "feminine" in feeling than other papers like, f'rinstance, Galerie or the beloved-but-gone-Forte Elegance. Portraits of women, soft still lifes, but not "macho" rocks and stuff.

What grade Azo? Expiration date?

D. Bryant
20-Aug-2008, 04:34
Polymax requires extended washing and hypo-clearing before toning, or it will develop mottling. Otherwise it is a pretty good paper.
I used quite a bit of that paper in it's time and never experienced any mottling. Water quality perhaps.

Don Bryant

Brian Ellis
20-Aug-2008, 09:46
More "feminine" in feeling than other papers like, f'rinstance, Galerie or the beloved-but-gone-Forte Elegance. Portraits of women, soft still lifes, but not "macho" rocks and stuff.

What grade Azo? Expiration date?

That's odd, the only paper John Sexton used for his photographs of rocks and other macho stuff was Polymax Fine Art. He made a few o.k. prints with it.

Annie M.
20-Aug-2008, 10:13
'More "feminine" in feeling than other papers'
Oh please...this is one of the most absurd things I have ever read on this forum. I used this paper for a while and there is nothing about it that resonated as 'feminine"...except that if it was not properly fixed in time it developed a 'pink cast'...sheesh

MIke Sherck
20-Aug-2008, 10:49
I was going to ask what a "feminine feeling" was in paper but on second thought, forget it. I don't think I really want to know. :)

Mike

Colin Corneau
20-Aug-2008, 15:05
Everyone's artistic point-of-view and opinions are their own, and as such all equally valid. Art, and its appreciation, are subjective...I don't see what this type of conversation achieves.

Let's keep it positive, please.

dsphotog
20-Aug-2008, 16:13
Know Why women have smaller feet than men??

So they can stand closer to the stove!!

Let the flogging begin....

Kidding!!!!
David Silva

Allen in Montreal
20-Aug-2008, 18:50
Well,

I was just hoping for something like it sings in Edwal Plat ll compared to Dektol,
or it is hyper sensitive to selenium toning, go easy until you get a feel for it etc etc.

If that is what Sexton uses (used) on the print I have on my wall of Corn lily,
I'll take it! That print is just stunning.

So...I guess Tri-x at 1000 asa in Acufine is masculine,
and D-76 at 1:1 is a softer gentler feminine developer?? :confused:

Allen in Montreal
20-Aug-2008, 22:31
Thank you Robert,
It has moved to the fridge now, I will open it up in the next week or two.
It is made in the good old US of A! :)

Maybe Bruce was pulling our leg right from the start and we all fell for it hook line and sinker?

The Azo is grade two,
there were all kinds of little goodies in there at the bottom, a small pack of Ektalure (only 25 shts) the last box of Brilliant from Fred P's Vermont days, (50 sht of 11x14 gr 3).

All buried under outed dated 5x7 film I dumped on fleebay.
It should be an interesting next few weeks playing with these forgotten treasures.

It's a good thing it's frozen as it's quite likely if it were more than a year out of date it would be fogged. It's wonderful paper, but has poor shelf life compared to others. Check the box and see where it was made - US, Canada or Brazil. The US and Canadian stuff tones differently (at least in my experience). I never liked the Brazilian stuff as much, but it's still fine paper.

Harold_4074
21-Aug-2008, 12:14
Polymax was unique (or nearly so) in that it had a neutral black emulsion over a warm-toned base, unlike most other warm-tone papers which had warm-tone emulsion on a warm base.

Now that I think about it, describing it as "slightly feminine" does seem to fit, for some reason. Interesting.

Kevin Crisp
21-Aug-2008, 12:35
I was also very disappointed in the short shelf life of this product, even when refrigerated. If it isn't fogged, use it up. It was a very nice paper.

Alex Hawley
21-Aug-2008, 18:43
Allen, send them both to me for testing! Especially the Azo! Enjoy! Jim

Or if you really can't stand either one, I'll gladly junk them for you! :D

Honestly, there wasn't anything I couldn't successfully print on PolyMax. That's why I liked it so well.

jnantz
21-Aug-2008, 19:35
its a great paper. .....
have fun printing with it!

i still have a lot of it, and use it for making paper negatives.
it is un-cold sitting on a shelf with all my other paper and film
.. and i don't seem to have any problems with it.

YMMV

Allen in Montreal
21-Aug-2008, 20:13
Allen, send them both to me for testing! Especially the Azo!....

Jim

Such a kind group you Gents are! :)

I bought a cheapie 8x10 this week to hold me over while I plan out going 8x10, 11x14 or something like 7x17 or 8x20, there is only room for one of the above.

So I will save the Azo a little longer and use it n the new negs from that camera.
The Poly I will crack open this weekend.