PDA

View Full Version : Mystery camera...

Scott --
15-Aug-2008, 13:59
Anyone recognize this camera? Double shift, looks like front tilt...

IanG
15-Aug-2008, 14:15
Whatever it is it looks to be in superb condition, presumably restored.

One problem is that in the US different manufacturers use some common metal hardware. My "gut feeling" is that camera may not have been a natural wood finish originally. It might sound strange to us now but battleship grey was the deluxe option rather than natural wood in the 30's & 40's.

It's vaguely Agfa Ansco'ish, but it's got the wrong fittings.

Ian

Scott --
15-Aug-2008, 14:20
The metalwork all looks like Korona stuff, but I can't find one comparable on the Mathew Brady site...

Walter Calahan
15-Aug-2008, 14:32
Nice, very nice. Go out and use it.

IanG
15-Aug-2008, 14:32
Mathew Brady's site never gets updated and he doesn't respond to emails. I've sent him more accurate info on Agfa Ansco's. The problem is some of his dates are wrong and camera's are missing. I have the cameras and the catalogues are freely available on the internet.

Yes the Koronas, Agfa Ansco's and some Kodaks are very similar. But there are variations Mathew doesn't show, because he won't add them it makes his site is less valuable.

I'd love to buy a Korona, but until the currentb economic climate improve it will have to wait.

Ian

dneilson
15-Aug-2008, 14:37
I would say Korona. All of the hardware and corner brackets match my Korona 5X7. My camera does not have front movements as extensive as this one, but I have seen other Korona's with these movements.

IanG
15-Aug-2008, 14:46
The strap at the top of the front standard is very different to any of the Korona's on Brady's site.

There's also something odd about the front tilt. The control on top isn't like anything I've seen before.

Ian

Gary Beasley
15-Aug-2008, 16:40
That tilt lock looks a lot like what was on my 8x10 Korona. The chrome bracket on top seems to have been reversed.

Skorzen
15-Aug-2008, 17:26
I dunno what it is, but I want that triple convertible...

Scott --
15-Aug-2008, 17:30
Well, the auction's ended (I'm sure it'll get relisted in case anyone's trigger-happy...), so here's the full description (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360077063935&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching). No ID on the camera, though. The back is identical to the one I picked up for my late (Seebold-era) Korona, which is what got my curiosity up.

big_ben_blue
15-Aug-2008, 20:01
Looks like a Conley to me, me thinks

Allen in Montreal
17-Aug-2008, 19:50
Well, the auction's ended (I'm sure it'll get relisted in case anyone's trigger-happy...........

Am I off base or is he a little bit steep in his pricing?

It is a really nice looking camera.

Shutter
18-Aug-2008, 01:02
That's a Korona (Variation 2) 1909-1930.

IanG
18-Aug-2008, 02:46
Am I off base or is he a little bit steep in his pricing?
It is a really nice looking camera.

Well it's re-listed at the same price, and his other LF camera went unsold too.

I'd guess his listing isn't far off, I paid about the same for a Agfa-Ansco Commercial view camera with a coated 12" Dagor 3 years ago, but I did get a brand new 10x8 Beattie screen with it as well.

This Korona is in extremely nice condition, has the extension rail, a reducing back and people pay quite a bit for the lens. It's a complete package, so it'll probably sell for that price.

Ian

Doug Howk
18-Aug-2008, 03:25
I have a duplicate of this camera including the TR triple convertible lens and its also made of a tropical red wood. It has a small metal plate that just says "Korona". A friend also has one of same make/type, and his is from early 30s after Korona was purchased by Invisible Camera Co. Scott, the metal bracket on front standard is reversed on yours; and would hinder tilt on rise. I got mine cheap ($300) because it needed alot of work, and didn't have all the extras (eg, rear rail). Yours looks to be in great shape, and good luck with the listing.

BradS
18-Aug-2008, 16:30
Definitely a Korona. I had a 4x5 exactly like it - but mine still had the name plate attached to the front.