PDA

View Full Version : Tech data on deleted Kodak Graphic Arts Film

Neil Purling
15-Aug-2008, 01:54
Kodak 6573 Professional Line Copy Film. I bought this with some other boxes of ood film.

IanG
15-Aug-2008, 02:10
Line Copy film is used mainly for making negatives in the graphics & printing industry. However it's also useful as a high contrast film for photographic use.

It should be blue sensitive so can be used in & normal B&W darkroom safe-light conditions. Try using it with a high contrast or lith dev.

Ian

Neil Purling
15-Aug-2008, 02:42
I usually fool around and see how much I can drop the contrast by rating it at a ultra-low speed and using Rodinal, which is usually diluted to 1:50 or 1:100 anyway.
I wanted some tech info for the nominal speed in it's intended use. This would reduce wastage to one or two sheets after which I would know if it could give pictorial results or not.

IanG
15-Aug-2008, 03:11
Neil, I don't have a data sheet with me here in Turkey, but there was never an ISO speed given, rather a suggested exposure using named copy lamps. They were designed to be used in copy cameras.

I used both Kodak & Fuji Line film and from memory I think they were somewhere around 6 ISO, that's what I used to set my Weston V too when setting up lighting. I was using photo-floods, in daylight the speed may increase because of the higher blue content of the light.

Ian

Ash
15-Aug-2008, 07:40
Go in at EI 6-10. Do two sheets, one at either number. You'll know whether you're far off by the results... that does also depend on your developing I guess!!

Last time I used Rodinal I think it was safe to use at 1:100 and leave a sheet of film for 30 minutes if I wasn't sure how long to do it for. With the Kodalith Ortho film I used I think I got EI10 at 15-20 minutes, can't remember too well it was early last year.

JoeV
15-Aug-2008, 09:21
There was a recent discussion on APUG about using LC-4 (I think that's the name) low contrast developer with APHS graphic arts film for controlling contrast to achieve continuous tone negatives. I haven't tried it, but it sounds promising. Also, Jim Galli has used a restrainer with regular contrast developers in an attempt to tame the high contrast of graphic arts film; see his website for more details.

~Joe

Richard Wall
15-Aug-2008, 10:41
I'm not sure if they are similar, but I used to use Kodak UltraTec graphics art film for continuous tone negs. At the time (back in the early 90's) I did a lot of tests with different developers (D19, DK-50 etc...) and found that the film developed well in plain-ol Dektol straight. I essentially treated the film like paper and developed it like I would paper. At the time I was experimenting with a lot of graphics film and used this developing scheme for the Kodak UltraTec, Konica and another graphics film that I can't remember the name of right now.

All of the films that I was using at the time were safelight safe.

Richard

Added: the other film was Dupont graphics film

Ash
15-Aug-2008, 10:52
I develop my Kodalith Ortho in Suprol (essentially universal developer) and it comes out very nice