PDA

View Full Version : How to refasten knob on Kodak 2d?

Jon Shiu
14-Aug-2008, 13:09
The focusing knob has come loose from the shaft of my Kodak 2D 8x10. I'm wondering how to re-attach it to the shaft so it won't spin loose. I have epoxy and gorilla glue, but was thinking if didn't work it would be impossible to clean that stuff off the parts to start again. Maybe soldering? I don't have a small torch, but could possibly have the town blacksmith try to fix it. Any suggestions?

Jon

gari beet
14-Aug-2008, 13:14
Isn't there a pin that fits into a small hole once the knob has been screwed on to the shaft? I am sure that is what is on my 5x7 2D. I shall have a look later when I get a chance and post what I find.
Gari

Jon Shiu
14-Aug-2008, 13:21
Hi, there isn't any pin on this knob.

Jon

Colin Graham
14-Aug-2008, 13:23
Jon, try some thread lock. The 'blue' strength would probably be plenty.

Glenn Thoreson
14-Aug-2008, 13:28
You see that little nub sticking off the end of the shaft? Originally, it was peened down to prevent the knob from coming off. With many years of use and screwing the knob back against it, it wears away, leaving the knob free to escape. You can peen it down again, but it's hard to do because holding the shaft still is almost impossible for a DIYer. You can put the knob on tightly and deform the last couple of threads. It will serve the same purpose. If you're really good at soldering, you can put a ball on the end of the shaft. You can drill a tiny hole through the nubbin and insert a pin. Glue? No!

Jon Shiu
14-Aug-2008, 13:44
Hi, thanks all for the suggestions. I see now that the shaft has a slight flare to it from peening it. Unfortunately there are no threads showing when the knob is screwed down all the way. I'll study it some more before trying anything.

Jon

ic-racer
14-Aug-2008, 14:16
On my Century (with a nearly identical knob) I use a brass lock nut. Well, it is just a standard nut, but when tightened against the knob it serves as a lock nut.

erie patsellis
14-Aug-2008, 15:52
On my Century (with a nearly identical knob) I use a brass lock nut. Well, it is just a standard nut, but when tightened against the knob it serves as a lock nut.
correction, jam nut, not lock nut. Many of the Ace stores actually have low profile (about 1/2 the thickness) jam nuts in the drawers of overpriced bolts and screws aisle.

erie

Dave Parker
14-Aug-2008, 18:30
I just used a dab of yellow elmers wood glue on mine and they were still holding up just fine after I used it for 5 years and sold it..

Dave

Glenn Thoreson
14-Aug-2008, 18:32
Jon, that is the knob that locks the focus, is it not? I could look at one of mine, but I'm lazy. If I'm remembering correctly, and it is the lock knob, it won't have much sticking out with the knob in place. That's why the end was peened. Maybe your local metal worker could peen it for you. It wears away because people try to unscrew it more than it's limit. Good luck.

Jon Shiu
14-Aug-2008, 18:54
Hi, it's the focus adjust knob, so needs to not rotate on the shaft. I hammered the end of the shaft a bit and added a drop of super glue and now it works fine.

Jon

ic-racer
15-Aug-2008, 07:40
correction, jam nut, not lock nut. Many of the Ace stores actually have low profile (about 1/2 the thickness) jam nuts in the drawers of overpriced bolts and screws aisle.

erie

Yes, jam nut, thanks. My ACE had brass ones that matched the existing hardware.