PDA

View Full Version : Halo-chrome ©

Clay Turtle
13-Aug-2008, 18:21
Hmm . . I was wondering aboout this toner & it's usage so I ran a search but found none listed? Interested in comments on proceedure & uses of such product => have you tried it?
http://www.rockaloid.com/products.html#halo

Valerie
13-Aug-2008, 18:29
I used it quite a bit several years ago. If interested, I have a few small photos left that were toned with it I could send you. Mr. Rudman's toning book has a very nice bit on using it. Wish I'd had that info back then.. would have saved a great deal of frustration and money!

Clay Turtle
13-Aug-2008, 20:52
Mr. Rudman's Toning book? I would be interested to hear any advice . . . I did try it on a print that I had processed but it wasn't as over exposed as given by site.

Bobf
14-Aug-2008, 10:43
Mr. Rudman's Toning book? I would be interested to hear any advice . . . http://www.amazon.com/Photographers-Toning-Book-Definitive-Guide/dp/0817454659/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1218735598&sr=8-1

Probably the most complete guide for all sorts of toning.

Bob.

Valerie
14-Aug-2008, 14:44
Its been a long while since I used it. Lovely daguerrotype-ish look. Contrasty prints worked best. My biggest (and most expensive) mistake was not using enough toner per print.

Correction: My BIGGEST mistake back then was not taking notes on my process!

Clay Turtle
19-Aug-2008, 04:39
http://www.amazon.com/Photographers-...8735598&sr=8-1 the site gave a brief description which indicated that a) seemed to more about color photography & b) digital aspects of the same? So I am wondering how much useful information, pertaining to what I was working on?
Note: b&w are color mode scans from 35mm b&W print to show halo-chemical effects. The last print is strait b&w exposed F11@1.6; the second & first are post processed prints exposed f11@2.0What I am seeking is to extend traditional B&W print, not so much as a toned (middle = metallic) print but to in effect change the aspect of shades of grey (non-metallic => dark tones) into shades of (grey) dark & shades of (metallic) light?

Bobf
19-Aug-2008, 06:55
The link points to Tim Rudman's toning book which is all about toning silver b&w prints and has no digital content at all (I have my copy beside me). He devotes six pages to "Mirror Toning" which includes Halo-Chrome as one of the commercial varieties (he also supplies formulas for DIY versions but warns that all except one are old (1940's) so may or may not work with modern materials).

If you have an account on Amazon.com, you may be able to browse inside the book by using "search inside" for "halo-chrome" (my Amazon.co.uk account does not allow me to, so I can't check that).

Bob.

Clay Turtle
19-Aug-2008, 10:06
The link points to Tim Rudman's toning book which is all about toning silver b&w prints and has no digital content at all (I have my copy beside me). He devotes six pages to "Mirror Toning" which includes Halo-Chrome as one of the commercial varieties (he also supplies formulas for DIY versions but warns that all except one are old (1940's) so may or may not work with modern materials).

If you have an account on Amazon.com, you may be able to browse inside the book by using "search inside" for "halo-chrome" (my Amazon.co.uk account does not allow me to, so I can't check that).

Bob.Sorry Bob but I could have sworn that when I linked to that page, the summary was totally different? Oh, well I have had some troubles lately with my computer . . . anyway I went to the library to see if they had a copy as preliminary to getting it. If it is a good resource? They had one copy in a distant town in the upper part of the county & it was listed as missing! Evidence that some one thought it was good or they were having a hard time getting through it?

Bobf
20-Aug-2008, 09:10
You may have accidentally clicked on a link on the page as it was displaying. I do that a lot... I have a habit of getting impatient if a page takes more than 50ms to come up so I hit the link again - of course as my finger goes down, the page pops up and I accidentally find myself clicking on a link on that page that takes me elsewhere...

I know several people with the book and all recommend the book to others. Of course, if it was just for the "Mirror Toning" then it's probably not worth the expense for 5-6 pages but it covers just about every toning option out there with lots of examples and suggestions, multiple toning, formulas etc.

Cheers, Bob.

Clay Turtle
21-Aug-2008, 04:26
Thanks Bob, it sounds like it may well be a good reference volume to have around at least. I will see about getting a copy myself.