PDA

View Full Version : Christopher James' Alt. Process Book

Anupam
13-Aug-2008, 14:04
Is anyone familiar with both editions of James' Book of Alternative Photographic Processes? The second edition is much costlier, so I am wondering what it adds to the first. I know there is a new section on digital negatives, but if I can live without that, what else would I be missing?

Thanks,
Anupam

Vaughn
13-Aug-2008, 20:25
Lots more images, section on carbon printing...

Here is a link to more info on the book...click on "Table of Contents" for a PDF file of the whole table of contents.

http://www.christopherjames-studio.com/build/thebooksample.html

Yours,

Vaughn

Jeremy Moore
14-Aug-2008, 06:38
Anupam, the 2nd edition has a lot more contemporary wisdom on the alt processes in it that is very helpful for anyone actually wanting to make prints.

BrianShaw
14-Aug-2008, 06:45
I seem to remember the first edition beign the most expensive alternative process book I've ever bought. It remains my favorite and the one I pull off the self more than any other. This revised edition looks fantastic. Thanks for calling it to our attention, and thanks Vaughn for the link to the TOC!

Vaughn
14-Aug-2008, 10:02
No problem, Brian. I have a copy of the 2nd Edition, but never saw the first one. A very enjoyable book to wander through. I made my first salt print (I will try to attach it) from the instructions in it.

I also got lucky and have two images in the 2nd Edition -- one in the Platinum chapter and one in the carbon chapter.

Vaughn

PS...sorry that is as large as I can upload right now...

Jim Noel
15-Aug-2008, 08:54
I have both editions. I treasured the first until the second came out. I still use the first edition a lot, but when preparing to teach a class I use references to the second edition because it is more up to date and complete.