PDA

View Full Version : Cross Posting on APUG & LFPF

IanG
13-Aug-2008, 13:25
I'm posting this after contact & response with moderators & people respected on both Forums.

The recent spate of Cross posting the same Post on both Forums has become a total farce. They are quite different Forum but with a very large common membership. Either post a new question on one Forum or the other, which ever is most appropriate.

We don't want to see, read & answer your posts twice. Many people deliberately use different nick-names on the two Forums but they are so transparent and obvious, and it just makes you look idiots.

I'm not saying don't post a question on both, just post on one first, if you don't get your answer then post a day or so later on the other. Same goes for selling items & wanted posts.

At the moment it's just polluting both Forum, and it is ONLY done by photographers who are members of both.

If it persists the best option is that the two Forum amalgamate.

Ian

Kirk Gittings
13-Aug-2008, 14:42
Some thoughts (assuming this is a serious post?):

Since I don't look at APUG often I was not really aware of this issue, but I'm not sure what harm is done. Could you explain that further?

There is some cross posting between here and Luminous Landscape also. When I see the odd thread started there that would better be answered here, I suggest that to them. And vice versa too.

The two forums could not be merged (were you joking? I couldn't tell), as we have a much more inclusive perspective when it comes to digital here.

Jeremy Moore
13-Aug-2008, 14:53
I'm just tickled that this was cross-posted to both forums by someone with a different username on both sites.

IanG
13-Aug-2008, 15:08
Jeremy - you are the master of cross posting :) to the wrong Continent !!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist that. Remember that Nikon fit Tamron lens . . . . . . .

There is a serious side, it's high time the two Forum were amalgamated, Kirks a Git :)

Joking apart, they are two separate forum, I'd prefer them that way, but unless the moderators from both Forum are prepared to stop the almost spam cross postings they should think hard about amalgamation instead.

ian

Skorzen
13-Aug-2008, 15:11
I understand the point of this post and I agree to a point, however when I look at APUG it is for different thing than at LFPF. No offense to APUG, but for largeformat related discussion the number of active people here far outnumbers that of APUG. If I am looking for info on film processing/darkroom work and such I will likely look here and there. While there is some discussion of processing/darkroom type stuff here (with some GREAT information) there is a larger (or at least different) pool of knowledge at APUG. So I guess I would say that for largeformat stuff (i.e. gear) people are really better off just posting here. I can see a reason for cross posting about other topics though.

Jeremy Moore
13-Aug-2008, 15:12
Jeremy - you are the master of cross posting :) to the wrong Continent !!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist that. Remember that Nikon fit Tamron lens . . . . . . .

Ian, I thought of that when I hit the submit reply button! Glad to see you took my lighthearted post in the jocular manner it was intended :)

domenico Foschi
13-Aug-2008, 15:12
Why does that bothers you so much?

How do you propose to amalgamate the 2 forums?

Daniel_Buck
13-Aug-2008, 15:20
posting the same question in multiple forums is quite common in all types of forums. I know it happens alot on the car/racing forums I'm apart of as well. Not everyone reads all the forums, most forums have their core group of people, and then a group that views both (or all) the forums. If someone wants to reach everyone, posting in other forums as well is the best way. If I'm not interested in the post and I see it in another forum, I just don't click on it. Pretty simple enough :-) I don't read APUG often, so I'm one that would benefit (or be able to help answer) a question that originated on APUG and was then re-posted here on LF.

Combining the two forums would be pointless I think, as most likely they have two different personalities as a whole. Assuming that the owners of both forums would even be willing to do so. Their two different forums, for one, APUG requires different types of registration (paid I believe?) to view images and other things (I think?) and it has advertisements. the LF forum doesn't, which is why I'm usually looking over here instead of there. Nothing against APUG at all, I just prefer viewing a site that I know everyone is even (nobody has more privileges than others) and no advertising banners.

Doesn't bother me.

BradS
13-Aug-2008, 15:45
I have to agree with Ian. It is just plain annoying when people simultaneously post identically both here and at APUG. You have to recognize that many folks participate in both fora.

Darren Kruger
13-Aug-2008, 16:05
Well, you could post in APUG "see my answer on LFPF" and post here "see my answer at APUG" ...

-Darren

davidb
13-Aug-2008, 16:24
I have to agree with Ian. It is just plain annoying when people simultaneously post identically both here and at APUG. You have to recognize that many folks participate in both fora.

And you have to recognize that many folks DO NOT participate in both fora.

timbo10ca
13-Aug-2008, 16:37
I'm not ashamed to say that I've done this a number of times, also at the hybrid site. I get very little overlap in answers and people answering. Discussions often go in very different (and useful) directions, because there are different people who frequent only one or the other, and the "rules" and personalities of the sites are quite different. I have even linked to the other forum because points of interest arise in one discussion that are absent in the other. Perhaps this is because maybe most people can figure out to only post once and not waste their time on an identicle thread elsewhere.... ;)

Tim

Jeremy Moore
13-Aug-2008, 16:38
When selling the extra 4x5 film I have, half went to someone here on the LFForum and the other half to someone on Apug. They are each only on those forums.

timbo10ca
13-Aug-2008, 16:49
When selling the extra 4x5 film I have, half went to someone here on the LFForum and the other half to someone on Apug. They are each only on those forums.

I don't see why anybody trying to sell something wouldn't want to reach as large an audience as possible....

R Mann
13-Aug-2008, 17:09
I don't see the harm in posting for sale items on both - am I missing something?

Jim Galli
13-Aug-2008, 17:14
Sorry Ian, I'll cross post if and when I feel like it. Who made you the 4rth person in the trinity?

Kino
13-Aug-2008, 17:35
Here's a solution; don't read one or the other!

Me, I feel no such restrictions to post strictly on one or the other, so I apologize in advance for irritating you... :rolleyes:

John Voss
13-Aug-2008, 18:17
Since I see no harm in Venn diagrams, I can't see the problem with cross posting. There are lots of readers who exclusively post to and read only one forum or the other. Why should they be excluded from seeing something that is of interest in either circle? I also enjoy getting a chance to see who is common to both LFPF and apug.

eddie
13-Aug-2008, 18:52
And you have to recognize that many folks DO NOT participate in both fora.

Sorry Ian, I'll cross post if and when I feel like it. Who made you the 4rth person in the trinity?

Me, I feel no such restrictions to post strictly on one or the other, so I apologize in advance for irritating you... :rolleyes:

what they said! sometimes it is good to hear from some of the different people who may not be on both forums. i spend more time here anyway.

but the most important thing i see here is that YOU SHOULD DO AS YOU SAY! how do you have the audacity to cross post this troll. come out from under the bridge.

as much as i want to cross post this answer i am not going to cause it is clearly a troll!

BrianShaw
13-Aug-2008, 18:54
I find it confusing. There was a recent cross-post and I replied there, but when I looked at the thread here I couldn't find my post and thought I dreamed about responding...

BrianShaw
13-Aug-2008, 18:57
Who made you the 4rth person in the trinity?

This is the funniest line I've ever read. Never heard this one before. May I use it? It should ocme in quite handy at work!

Ron Marshall
13-Aug-2008, 19:08
I have the solution: a warning at the start of a duplicate post:

BEWARE: ALSO POSTED ON APUG. DO NOT READ IF YOU MIGHT BE ANNOYED (YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!)

Greg Lockrey
13-Aug-2008, 21:40
and it is ONLY done by photographers who are members of both.

Ian

??? How can it not be?

Blueberrydesk
14-Aug-2008, 02:56
??? How can it not be?

:D

Mark Sampson
14-Aug-2008, 04:35
What a tempest in a teapot. If something as harmless as cross-posting bothers you, it's long past time to shut down the computer and go make some photographs.

clay harmon
14-Aug-2008, 05:13
How hard is it to ignore a post that you don't want to see twice?

Geert
14-Aug-2008, 05:53

That's what I do.

At least Jim Galli has the courtesy of using the same title on his messages on both forums.
Makes it easier to skip one or the other.

But sometimes it interesting to read the different replies on the same subject.

G

Greg Lockrey
14-Aug-2008, 06:42
When I was in the Navy we used to say, "a bitching sailor is a happy sailor", perhaps IanG is just a happy guy. :D :D :D

Ralph Barker
14-Aug-2008, 09:47
Ian, there's nothing wrong with posting the same question on multiple forums in an effort to get a broader range of opinions or input. And, timing of those posts is entirely up to the poster.

Although there is a significant overlap of membership between the two forums with respect to LF shooters, the overlap isn't 100%. Thus, it makes sense to post on both forums in many cases. Simply ignoring the duplication, as others have suggested, is the easy solution.

BrianShaw
14-Aug-2008, 09:57
What about posting redundantly in the same thread?

BrianShaw
14-Aug-2008, 09:58
What about posting redundantly in the same thread? :)

Bobf
14-Aug-2008, 10:06
A few observations: Ian is British; he is currently in Turkey where temperatures are rather high at this time of year; the wine is very cheap around the Aegean.

Now, take these points and combine them with the fact that he is doing exactly what he appears to be complaining about in his original post.

Then consider the rather dry and ironic side of the British sense of humour...

Of course, there is also the problem of people just repeating what someone else has already said in the same thread previously but taking much longer to say it.

;)

Ralph Barker
14-Aug-2008, 10:09

That's OK, but you're obligated to buy everyone a McDouble. ;)

BrianShaw
14-Aug-2008, 10:17

Of course, there is also the problem of people just repeating what someone else has already said in the same thread previously but taking much longer to say it.

You mean like this:

Of course,

there

is also

the problem

of people

just repeating

what

someone else

has already said

in the same thread

previously

but

taking

much

longer

to

say

it.

(macdouble on it's way to Rio Rancho and somewhere in the UK. I'll stop being annoying now!)

PViapiano
14-Aug-2008, 11:05
I usually try to decide which forum would be more appropriate for my questions or comments.

As a side note, I go here for digital stuff, rather than digital forums, because the answers and insight are a lot more mature than most other places.

I like APUG for chemistry, enlarging papers, film, etc...but to tell the truth, this forum has so much experience lurking, you almost don't need APUG...don't tell Sean!

IanG
14-Aug-2008, 11:54
I'm not in a minority of one, luckily there are other people who agree with what I'm saying :D

I only made the post after mentioning the issue to a moderator on APUG. His comment was "I agree that this is annoying for those of us who follow both forums," and went on to suggest I posted about the issue in the Feedback Forum. As it affects both Forums it made sense to post it on both which as many have noted is ironic as that's what the post is against.

However as Ralph Barker says there's no reason why someone can't post the same post on multiple forums. What's become annoying is the increasing number, particularly by people asking quite basic and simple questions, like what should I put on my darkroom floor, or what developer should I use.

Because there are so many more important duplicate threads may not get answered on both, and information that is far more valuable to Forum members as a whole isn't there.

For instance davidb has started a similar thread about Polaroid 20x24 here, a few days after one started on APUG, that's important news and a valuable cross thread. I posted a link giving far more relevant info on the APUG thread, should I do the same here ?

The poster above makes a very valuable comment about choosing the most relevant forum to post on, which is what the vast majority of us do. I'm just asking people to think before they cross post on more than one forum - would asking on one forum first be enough ?

Ian

John T
14-Aug-2008, 12:00
What's annoying for one person is important information to another. Finding out the flooring material can be extremely important because there isn't much information out there. Most people talk about their sinks, enlargers, etc.

I like it when the OP's use the same title in both forums so that if I saw it here, I can ignore it in APUG. Even if they don't I can read the original post and then ignore it if I read it before-it doesn't take that much time for me.

sanchi heuser
14-Aug-2008, 12:09
I participate in three forums.Usually I post in the german speaking forum ,dedicated to LF.
I had never the idea to post double or triple.

But at the moment I have a specific technical question.First I posted my question at apug with no reply.So I decided to post the same question here.

I hope that nobody is annoyed by finding the same question in three forums (it appeared already in grossformatfotografie.de).

sanchi

IanG
14-Aug-2008, 12:17
Your showing the logical way to make multiple posts. Ask a question, no reply or good answer ask somewhere else.

But of course you live in a logical country :D

Ian

Monty McCutchen
14-Aug-2008, 12:17
I'm not in a minority of one, luckily there are other people who agree with what I'm saying :D

I only made the post after mentioning the issue to a moderator on APUG. His comment was "I agree that this is annoying for those of us who follow both forums," and went on to suggest I posted about the issue in the Feedback Forum. As it affects both Forums it made sense to post it on both which as many have noted is ironic as that's what the post is against.

However as Ralph Barker says there's no reason why someone can't post the same post on multiple forums. What's become annoying is the increasing number, particularly by people asking quite basic and simple questions, like what should I put on my darkroom floor, or what developer should I use.

Because there are so many more important duplicate threads may not get answered on both, and information that is far more valuable to Forum members as a whole isn't there.

For instance davidb has started a similar thread about Polaroid 20x24 here, a few days after one started on APUG, that's important news and a valuable cross thread. I posted a link giving far more relevant info on the APUG thread, should I do the same here ?

The poster above makes a very valuable comment about choosing the most relevant forum to post on, which is what the vast majority of us do. I'm just asking people to think before they cross post on more than one forum - would asking on one forum first be enough ?

Ian

Well since you referenced my elementary question of darkroom floors as being so highly annoying to you, you might do well to check and see that I got very different answers and very different leads on products via links posted etc. from generous people on the different forums thus giving you your answer as to why folks like me who are beneath your vast knowledge double post. I'm quite grateful for all even the ones that were repetitive, for even they show a genuine desire to help. Now I have lots of choices ahead of me to consider more than I would have had, had I tried to guess which of these two great forums would be the best to post in. As to the timing of posting when I carve out individual time to get my photography done I don't always have the luxury of waiting a couple of days to find out I didn't get the information I wanted, which is making a huge assumption that one forum or the other even has all the information I may have been seeking.

Hall monitors unite,

have a great day in your ivory tower deciding what's right and wrong for the rest of us,

Monty

sanchi heuser
14-Aug-2008, 12:25
"But of course you live in a logical country"

Ian,that's a good joke:)

IanG
14-Aug-2008, 12:32
The thread needed a joke, people take well meaning comments too seriously :D

Ian

JBrunner
14-Aug-2008, 12:38
Ian,

When you get done with this one, there is a cat herding job we'd like to offer you out here in Utah

domenico Foschi
14-Aug-2008, 12:55
Ian,

When you get done with this one, there is a cat herding job we'd like to offer you out here in Utah

J,
you might want to post this on APUG as well.

Rob Champagne
14-Aug-2008, 12:57
Funniest thread I've seen in a long time.
This forum has a policy of being 100% non commercial whilst the other one is 100% totally commercial. I strongly suggest the OP is taking the piss since the idea has clearly not been discussed with both list owners as even a remote possibilty.
As a troll its pretty good but then all threads where the lists participants discuss what and how they think the forum should be run, are pretty funny. 99.9999% of the time they are completely ignored by the list owners and the participants get bored venting their spleens on the topic and find a new topic to do the same again.

Ian, why don't you setup a crossposting forum and be at the sharp end. Someones already registered the domain name but its for sale. Do you alrerady own it?

http://www.crossposting.com/

Dave Parker
14-Aug-2008, 13:03
As Jim Said, I will post what I want, where I want, and there is nobody that is going to tell me different! So put that in your pipe and smoke it!!!!

Of course as I am not a member at APUG and have not looked at that website in over a year, most of my questions, when I have them, will be posted here.

After almost 20 years of doing the internet, I have not seen quite a silly rant as this one, neither one of these forums are in anyway associated with each other, which is good, and to try and tell people what and when they post something is really something.

Anyway, that is my .02, now if I could drop into APUG and post this same thing, I WOULD!~!

:D

Dave

John Hannon
14-Aug-2008, 13:14
At my age, I need the duplicate posts to help me remember.

QT Luong
14-Aug-2008, 13:17
I think it would be great if people waited maybe a week before cross-posting, to see if their first posting garnered enough satisfying replies before attempting a second one.

However, we cannot, and will not do anything to enforce something which is a matter of etiquette rather than policy.

The suggestion that forums be merged is not realistic, as it ignores differences in history, cultures, and goals, and frankly, has never even been discussed before.

IanG
14-Aug-2008, 13:21
Thank you. You've re-iterated what I was trying to say in far fewer words.

Ian

Greg Lockrey
14-Aug-2008, 13:52

Someday when you get "old timers" you too will become a redundant poster. :D

Dave Parker
14-Aug-2008, 14:22
Oh, come on, you have two different forums run by two different entities, what type of etiquette is involved!? both of these forums cross over once in a while, but they have completely different missions...! Cripes if I gripped about every duplicate message I see on the internet, life would be short...

As has been said, when you see it is a duplicate message, don't read it, you have the power, which is nice on the net, you don't have to read what you don't want to, that is unless you don't have your pop up blocker enabled!

Come on, this is a silly thread!

Dave

Greg Lockrey
14-Aug-2008, 14:32
Come on, this is a silly thread!

Dave

Where else would you get this kind of levity? :D

IanG
14-Aug-2008, 15:35
On the Graflex.org forum when Dave's posting :)

Dave Parker
14-Aug-2008, 16:02
God,

Ian, I have not posted over there for almost a year either, talk about a blast from the past!

Yikes..

Dave

Bobf
14-Aug-2008, 19:55
Where else would you get this kind of levity? :DIn the same thread on APUG ;)

Greg Lockrey
14-Aug-2008, 20:21
In the same thread on APUG ;)

:D :D :D I always thought that they were a little more stuffy over there.

Donald Miller
15-Aug-2008, 10:00
:D :D :D I always thought that they were a little more stuffy over there.

That's because their panties are consistantly in a knot.

butterflydream
15-Aug-2008, 11:25
APUG forum shows following messages at the moment.
What the h...? :eek:

Warning: chdir() [function.chdir]: No such file or directory (errno 2) in [path]/global.php(384) : eval()'d code on line 478

Warning: require_once(thumbincluder11b.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in [path]/global.php(384) : eval()'d code on line 479

Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required 'thumbincluder11b.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/chris/public_html/forums/global.php(384) : eval()'d code on line 479

IanG
15-Aug-2008, 11:35
It's changing server to a different host. Sean warned it could be down a day or two. It takes a few hrs for name servers to update

All sites run into these issues, even this one's down occasionally.

Terence McDonagh
15-Aug-2008, 11:40
Well thank god. It'll give us a MUCH needed break from the cross-posting . . . perhaps this will relax the world-wide, frayed nerves enough that the Russians will pull out of Georgia . . .

butterflydream
15-Aug-2008, 11:41
Well I thought the parallel universes crashed each other by cross-posting.

Terence McDonagh
15-Aug-2008, 11:59
I too was fearing the onrush of The Big Crunch (like The Big Bang, but more painful).

Joe Smigiel
15-Aug-2008, 15:21
It's changing server to a different host. Sean warned it could be down a day or two...

Wonder why he didn't post the notice here?

Terence McDonagh
15-Aug-2008, 15:24

We have a winner . . .

Well played, sir.

IanG
15-Aug-2008, 15:45

I guess because he knows you're a regular poster on his Forum . . . . . . . so didn't think to tell you again here :D

We have a winner . . .

Well played, sir.

But I guess you were out LBW

bobf can explain better . . . . . . . . :D

OldBikerPete
15-Aug-2008, 19:06
And about that amalgamation idea.
I am under the impression that the vast majority of UPUG members shoot formats other than LF.
I think that most LF shooters would treat this forum as their main interest and browse APUG just for the discussions which overlap - such as chemistry.
I for one, wouldn't want to see this specialist site drowned in the juggernaut that is apug.

soeren
22-Aug-2008, 11:53
Would some one please post a link to the original Cross posts ( this thread) on the other fora ? :)

IanG
23-Aug-2008, 12:36
Try this one (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showpost.php?p=379242&postcount=48)

Jim collum
23-Aug-2008, 13:16
APUG doesn't allow a whisper of digital technology.. printing or capture. I don't understand how the two boards could merge... culture, focus both different as well.

EuGene Smith
23-Aug-2008, 19:03
Well, by golly, I have a digital camera, and QT and the other wheels are perfectly willing to allow me to own such a devilish device. For that reason, I am comfortable using my real name here.

Now, on the other hand, I am a member of APUG, BUT, if they were to discover that I have this modernistical thing, I would be tarred, feathered, and ridden out on a rail. So, just to forcefully announce my ANALOG credentials when I am APUGing, I go by the moniker "B&Jdude".

. . . but then someone might think using different log-in names is either being sneaky or underhanded . . . EXACTLY, that's why I do it!! :=)

jnantz
25-Aug-2008, 09:32
I'm posting this after contact & response with moderators & people respected on both Forums.

The recent spate of Cross posting the same Post on both Forums has become a total farce. They are quite different Forum but with a very large common membership. Either post a new question on one Forum or the other, which ever is most appropriate.

We don't want to see, read & answer your posts twice. Many people deliberately use different nick-names on the two Forums but they are so transparent and obvious, and it just makes you look idiots.

I'm not saying don't post a question on both, just post on one first, if you don't get your answer then post a day or so later on the other. Same goes for selling items & wanted posts.

At the moment it's just polluting both Forum, and it is ONLY done by photographers who are members of both.

If it persists the best option is that the two Forum amalgamate.

Ian

i've left my response on the other forum

Bobf
25-Aug-2008, 09:38
i've left my response on the other forumYeah, but that's what you wrote on the other forum!...

;)

jnantz
25-Aug-2008, 09:42
Yeah, but that's what you wrote on the other forum!...

;)

:)

Scott Davis
25-Aug-2008, 09:51
I don't have a problem with posting ads in multiple forums, so long as the poster keeps up with their ads and marks stuff sold everywhere they listed it when it sells. The ones that really bug me are the ones who post ads that are nothing more than a link to their Ebay auctions. You want to sell on ebay? Sell on ebay, but posting a link to your auction does nothing more than generate more advertising revenue for ebay.