PDA

View Full Version : Lensboard hole to small

Flexnib
12-Aug-2008, 19:10
Hello All,
I have a Wollensak lens in a Alphax shutter and the hole in my Linhof lensboard is just a little to small for the lens to fit through. Any ideas on what to use to ground the hole larger? I have a dremel but am unsure as to which type of attachment works best. Any ideas would be great.
thanks
Arthur

Greg Lockrey
12-Aug-2008, 19:15
I'd have that board put into a lathe and then cut. Unless you have a very steady hand or the hole needs only minimal reaming I wouldn't do it by hand.

DuncanD
12-Aug-2008, 19:20
I'd use a router:

Attach a carbide bit with ball bearing template guide of the same diameter as the bit.
Clamp a lens board of the correct diameter over your problem board. Centering is not critical.
Place the router bit inside the existing whole.
Run the router carefully clockwise around the hole, allowing the ball bearing guide to follow the larger, correct lens board hole.

If you're not a woodworker or machinist this may seem obscure but it's really quite simple. It would take me about five minutes if I had a properly sized lens board (or other existing hole) as a template.

Ron Marshall
12-Aug-2008, 19:20
Hello All,
I have a Wollensak lens in a Alphax shutter and the hole in my Linhof lensboard is just a little to small for the lens to fit through. Any ideas on what to use to ground the hole larger? I have a dremel but am unsure as to which type of attachment works best. Any ideas would be great.
thanks
Arthur

I had a lensboard with a diameter about 0.3mm too tight. I used a round metal hone for kitchen knives. It did a good job, but I only had to remove a tiny bit.

Richard Wasserman
12-Aug-2008, 19:24
I've done this by hand with a small 1/2 round file. Draw a line to follow and take your time, it's not too hard.

Jon Wilson
12-Aug-2008, 19:47
I have used a dremel.

Jim Graves
12-Aug-2008, 19:55
I use a half-round rasp ... 3 sliding strokes ... 1/4 turn, 3 sliding strokes, ... 1/4 turn etc., etc., ... just make sure you keep turning and keep checking with the actual lens barrel. Works very well.

Bill_1856
12-Aug-2008, 20:22
Take it to any small machine shop and have it done right in 5 minutes.

E. von Hoegh
12-Aug-2008, 20:46
Hello All,
thanks
Arthur

Get a flat/partround file from Aubuchon, and go slowly. You'll do fine.

Ole Tjugen
13-Aug-2008, 02:56
why hole is small

Because shutter is big

Flexnib
13-Aug-2008, 05:30
Exactly. Thanks for all the great help.
Arthur

gevalia
13-Aug-2008, 08:02
Had the same problem. Needed to increase hole by 1mm. Used a 1/2 round rasp. Quick and easy and no problems.

Pete Roody
13-Aug-2008, 08:18
You can also use a hand deburring tool. Do a search at:

http://www.mcmaster.com/

drew.saunders
13-Aug-2008, 13:36
Keh.com lists the actual size of the whole for their used lensboards, so if you have a 34mm and need a 35mm, there's a pretty good chance they have one, which might be easier than modifying your existing one.

ic-racer
14-Aug-2008, 14:02
This one works well for me:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=12871&d=1211492253

Flexnib
14-Aug-2008, 18:51
Thanks. I have done the lensboard and it worked out great. Used a 1/2 round rasp an it took only a few minutes to get the hole the right size. Also did not cost me any extra.
Arthur