PDA

View Full Version : Trying to do 6x12 without losing your shirt

al
28-Sep-1998, 21:06
I wanted to shoot 6x12 without paying linhofs insane prices for its point and sh oot version. I would prefer not to have to lug around a view camera i.e. crop a 4x5 neg. Any other options? Anyone else make a 6x12 point and shoot? All ive bee n able to do is shoot 2 hassy 6x6 chromes side by side and digitally paste them together, which isnt that bad, but i would like the 6x12 chrome if possible.

Also do stock agencies accept high res digital files that have been pasted toget her that look excellent. I'm talking high res such as 100 mb per file at a minim um.

Ellis Vener
28-Sep-1998, 22:40
Try the Horseman 6x12 cameras (prices only very wacky as opposed to insane). Ano ther alternative is the Cambo/Calumet "Pancake" cameras: essentially these are t he rear standard and groundglass and frame of a Cambo 4x5 body fitted with tripo d mounts and mated with a selection of interchangable wide angle lenses in dista nce calibrated and marked helical mounts complete with shift. You can use either 4x5 film or roll film holders. there is even a handle and each lens has its own dedicated eyepiece.

As for your second question: maybe... depends on how much your definition of exc ellent matches up with their definition of excellent, as well as subject matter, style, niche, etc. It is an extremely competitive market.

Darron Spohn
28-Sep-1998, 22:47
Calumet sells a Cambo Wide camera that accepts 6x12 roll film backs and lenses from 47mm to 150mm. Pirces start at $2295 and go through $3359 depending upon the lens. Check it out at http://www.calumetphoto.com/.

Ellis Vener
29-Sep-1998, 00:51
Dan is right. If you need wider than 110 degrees you will have to go with a Nobl ex (better reliability than the medium format Widelux in my experience) swing-le ns panoramic boththe Widelux and the 6x12 Noblex capture about a 140 degree (lon g dimension) view.

al
29-Sep-1998, 12:38
Perhaps this is unusual but my intent was not to go as wide as i possible can. I wanted something at most the equivalent lens of a 24 mm lens on a 35 mm camera. I simply enjoy shooting the 6x12 format for its dimensional value. Also i tend to use the 80 mm lens on a 6x6 camera and just shoot 2 frames side by side. The exact angle of view that is acheived is unclear from the above combination due to the fact that the needed overlapping portions of each image detracts from the overall angle of view.

Ellis Vener
29-Sep-1998, 14:44
You should check out the Cambowide with the 75mm lens. Advise this over the 612 Horseman on basis of cost and flexibility as you can also shoot 4x5 or polaroid with this body and there is lens panel shift capabilities. You will also need a Horseman or similar 6x12cm film back. This can either be a handholdable system o r tripod mount.

My experience and intuition is that stock agencies will prefer film over digital files for awhile yet., although that will depend on the uniqueness, quality, an d perceived saleability of your imagery. imagery

Richard Stum / Kinesis
11-Oct-1998, 22:21
Whatever you do, DO NOT purchase a Calumet 6x12 slide-in roll film back. I'm a commerical shooter and my studio mate finally returned his for credit because it shredded film. Note that this model is no longer available in the current CPI catalog.

watson
29-Nov-1998, 13:34
Hi Al..

A 6x9 negative can be cropped to 5x9 or 4.5x9 easily to give you the 1:2 panoramic format. In some cases you can take advantage of the cropping to gain a bit of perspective shift. Careful use of a tripod and modern films will keep the quality within reach of 6x12.

The Fuji 6x9s are available with excellent 65mm or 90mm lenses, and are much more versatile than the Linhof 612s.

Cheers..

Jim Chow
21-Feb-1999, 23:53
Horseman makes the SW612, which accepts interchangeable 35, 45, 55, 65, 75, and 90mm Rodenstock grandagon lenses. They also make a new SW612 pro (on their web page) that has +/-15mm rise/fall and +/- 20mm shift (no tilt/swing). Prices are a little more down to earth..around $4K for the body, one lens, and a filmback. One nice feature is that the filmbacks, basically LF 4x5 rollfilmbacks, can be interchanged, so you can shoot 6x7, 6x9, and 6x12 with the same lens, essentially like having 3 lenses.

I believe Alpha markets a 6x12 format rangefinder (I know they have a 6x9), but at their prices, it makes the Linhof rangefinders seem like a bargain!