PDA

View Full Version : Chamonix instead of wista SP???

Hollis
11-Aug-2008, 23:39
I have a Wista 45 SP that I have been shooting for a few years now and I love it. I find that I am way more productive with this camera than anything else I have used. I love this camera. My dilema is that the bellows are a bit limited in length (just barely 300mm). I have been toying with the idea of selling my Wista and getting a Chamonix, I can't afford both at the moment.

So, any input would be appreciated. Also, I am nto exactly 'hard' on equipment but I expect it to work everytime I pick it up and I shoot lots and lots of film. Also, I put about 30,000 miles a year on my cameras so it has to be durable.

BradS
12-Aug-2008, 00:07
I think that you will regret it. The fact that you're asking suggests that you know you'll regret it. If you love the camera, stay with it. There is a lot of buzz about the Chamonix right now. Maybe it is deserved, maybe not. A few years ago, there was an equivalent buzz about the Shen Hao...these things pass. Keep your Wista. If you really need more bellows, get a top hat board.

Utomo Tjipto
12-Aug-2008, 02:10
Hollis, I also use Wista VX and Chamonix. Love them both. Main difference is Weight between the two. Due to my occupation, usually I travel by planes and helicopters and by hiking/climbing to remote and no road areas. From this factor, Chamonix is much much lighter and allows me to use lighter tripod. I usually use standard lenses. If you travel using trucks, the needs may be different. Anyway, Wista has extended bellows that you can order through their website.

Bob Salomon
12-Aug-2008, 04:03
Your Wista is not limited in length. Wista makes extended lensboards as well as extension beds and bellows for your camera. These can be ordered from most dealers like Samy's, Calumet, Silvio's, Bel Air Camera, Simon's, etc. in your area.

Walter Calahan
12-Aug-2008, 04:23
My car needs new tires, so I need to buy a new car.

Get a longer bellows.

Brian Ellis
12-Aug-2008, 07:49
If you love your Wista I'd stay with it and deal with the short bellows by using a top hat lens board if that will be enough extension for you. I'm not sure about the extra bed and bellows extension, I'm not familiar with how they work or what they cost. In general, I've never been a big fan of adding on things that, they always remind me of the old saying about trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. But maybe the Wista extension works very well. Before going that route though, I'd make sure you understand exactly how it works, how big a pain it is if any to put on and/or take off, what storage problems if any it will create in your back pack, how front focusing works, etc.

In other words, I'd want to see one, put it on my camera, and play around with it before committing to buy it. With all due respect to Walter, I don't think that adding an extended bed and bellows to a camera originally designed for a shorter bed and bellows is quite as simple as putting new tires on a car.

Brad Rippe
12-Aug-2008, 21:29
I had the opportunity to but a used Wista last year, and I regret not buying it. I think its a great camera, you should keep. As has been stated, there are many ways to extend the length of the bellows. What lens are you planning to use that you can't now?
-Brad

Darryl Baird
12-Aug-2008, 21:58
I wouldn't replace my 4x5 Wista D with a Chamonix. (I would replace it with an SP!) I own a 8x10 Chamonix and I really like the camera, but for some of the architecture I'm shooting I really miss the speedy setup and solid build of the Wista. I managed to adjust to the wide-angle bellows setup of the Wista system, but it is a mild pain in the rear to switch lenses (between 90 & 65mm), perhaps the extended bellows is less so, but I'd study the available accessories and the prices. Most Wista stuff is scarce and pricey. It took about a half year of auctions to get most of what I wanted, plus a few critical odds and ends I got through Jim at Midwest photo... always a good place to start.

Question: Would a top-hat style lensboard be enough for your needs?

...everything Brian said is spot on too, I almost couldn't manage the extra gear in my current bag

Hollis
13-Aug-2008, 20:20
seems to be a pretty cut and dry answer to my question. I really would have to see the bellows extension in action. It would have to be installed and then be able to compress into the camera body thus keeping its portability. I don't want to have to keep adding and subtracting items to it. Anyone ever used to wista extension or at least put it on their camera?

Lon Overacker
14-Aug-2008, 12:57
Hollis,

Ultimately, it's really only a question you can answer in knowing your own style, what you're photographing and how much you really want a longer lens. But I can add my two cents.

I actually went thru your exact scenario. I had a Wista DX for 5 yrs and I really liked the camera too. At the time I had a 90mm and a 210mm. As time went by I found myself using the 210 more than 75% of the time and I too eventually wanted a longer lens. I then picked up the Zone VI with it's generous extension. I now have a 300mm and a 450mm (using a tophat).

I liked the Wista, but have never regretted changing cameras. For me, it's more about "being there" and the resulting image - the camera is just a tool. And if the tool you have doesn't meet your needs, then why not get a tool that will?

Can't offer any advice about any extension for the Wista - and of course you would need both of longer bellows AND rail extension. Bellows alone won't buy you anything if you can't extend the rails far enough. I too would try and find out more about the extension for the Wista and whether or not it's a permanent, integrated change or something you have to take on and off just to put on a longer lens.

Just some thoughts.
Lon

Bob Salomon
14-Aug-2008, 13:21
Hollis,

Ultimately, it's really only a question you can answer in knowing your own style, what you're photographing and how much you really want a longer lens. But I can add my two cents.

I actually went thru your exact scenario. I had a Wista DX for 5 yrs and I really liked the camera too. At the time I had a 90mm and a 210mm. As time went by I found myself using the 210 more than 75% of the time and I too eventually wanted a longer lens. I then picked up the Zone VI with it's generous extension. I now have a 300mm and a 450mm (using a tophat).

I liked the Wista, but have never regretted changing cameras. For me, it's more about "being there" and the resulting image - the camera is just a tool. And if the tool you have doesn't meet your needs, then why not get a tool that will?

Can't offer any advice about any extension for the Wista - and of course you would need both of longer bellows AND rail extension. Bellows alone won't buy you anything if you can't extend the rails far enough. I too would try and find out more about the extension for the Wista and whether or not it's a permanent, integrated change or something you have to take on and off just to put on a longer lens.

Just some thoughts.
Lon

You put them on when you need extension and take them off when you don't. For the DX extensions are available in lengths up to 80cm long. Extension bellows are available up to 60cm long. Extended lensboards come with a set of extension tubes and extra 28mm tubes are available for longer extensions. The basic extension tube lensboard set has a 33 and a 28mm set of tubes as well as 0, 1 and 3 lens boards for the end of the tubes.

Extension tubes are sold in two different sets. One to fit Wista cameras and one to fit Linhof Technika IV to Master cameras.

Extension beds are available for both the wood and metal Wista cameras. There are also extension beds that will fit Linhof from Wista in 150 to 600mm lengths (bellows are not included but available separately.

Hollis
14-Aug-2008, 15:02
Yeah, I think Im going to stick with the Wista. I keep forgetting that I have a Sinar as well with plenty of bellows.