PDA

View Full Version : Littlejohn enlarger

Mandy Newall
11-Aug-2008, 17:11
Hi there everyone

I am from a land surveying firm in New Zealand (and sorry, I have no idea about large format photography, but my boss does!) and we have closed down the arm of our business that used to do aerial photography using film. We now use digital.

Anyway, does anyone know of anybody who might have an interest in some old equipment? We have a Littlejohn 356 Magnacolor projection enlarger, and it is huge (I think it is probably the same thing that was talked about here:

Do any of you have any personal experience with or knowledge of enlargers made b y Hunter, Penrose, and Littlejohn, and can speak to the quality and usability of these enlargers? I understand the manufacturer is British, but I've been unable to find any information about them on the web. A Littlejohn enlarger is availab le on ebay right now from a gentleman in Houston. Through correspondence with th e owner, I know that the instrument is enormous. The height of the column is 9 f eet. This particular example has been fitted with a condenser light source in pl ace of the original diffusion head. The base dimensions are 56 by 48 inches. It has a 36 by 28 inch vacuum easel. It weighs 900 pounds. Clearly, it is not a goo d fit for the bathroom darkroom! It comes with 5x7, 8x10, and 11x14 negative car riers. I'm thinking it might be suitable for enlarging my 8x10 black and whites, but I'd feel better if I could hear comments from someone having experience wit h this enlarger.

THis is a well made, industrial quality item by one of Britain's leading graphic arts equipment manufacturers .As well as I can remember the negative carrier and lens panel are effortlessly controlled by two large handwheels below the easel. If you have space for it you will not be disappointed.It's a beautiful machine intended primarily for making line and halftone positive and negative transparencies for litho plate making,silk screen stencils etc.but with the condenser head excellent for continuous tone also.

I hope you don't mind me asking on this forum, but I thought you guys would be the best ones to ask. We thought about giving it to a museum - but no-one here in NZ wants it (I know, sacrilege!). If any of you have any ideas about what we can do with it, please let me know (and yes, we would prefer something more constructive than 'Use it for an anchor'!).

Cheers

Paul Fitzgerald
11-Aug-2008, 22:11
Mandy,

if those numbers are right the crate would be 5' x 5' x 10' and weigh 1100+ lbs. Packing + freight to the shipping office + s & h & i & fuel surcharge halfway around the world from NZ would break the bank on almost any deal. If only it could go to 12 x 20 it might have been a contender but at 11 x 14 I think it's probably a dead duck.

Good luck with it.

Mandy Newall
12-Aug-2008, 14:22
Paul

Thank you for your comments - yes, it is a behemoth! Our blurb says maximum print size on vacuum baseboard is 30" x 40" (76.2 cm x 101.6 cm), with the maximum capacity of the negative/transparency carrier 13" x 16" (33cm x 40.5cm).

Thanks for wishing us luck, I think we will need it!
Cheers

Jehu
12-Aug-2008, 14:27
I can't help you with that but Greetings from a Land Surveyor in Reno ;-)

ic-racer
12-Aug-2008, 18:05
I got my 8x10 enlarger from a post on this forum, similar to the original post in this thread. (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=32367) Perhaps a picture might be helpful. Also, try over at APUG.

Mandy Newall
12-Aug-2008, 19:16
And hello right back at you Reno land surveyor. I take it you are another who is outstanding in his field?

Thank you ic-racer. I will put a post up on APUG and see what happens. I have some photos if anyone wants to message me to see them.

Cheers
Mandy

Paul Fitzgerald
12-Aug-2008, 19:19
Mandy,

ic-racer is correct, (www.apug.org) is from NZ and truly international. Maybe Sean would know someone down under.