PDA

View Full Version : Walker Titan Xl 5x7

Thierry Schreiner
11-Aug-2008, 16:25
Hi to all,

I am considering to buy a new 5x7 camera.

I would like to have a really down to earth, userfriendly and light camera and consider Mike Walker's 5x7 Titan XL as a possible choice, as I rarely use back movements. I do mostly outdoor photography and wild camera movements are not a necessity.

Question to the Walker camera users:

What is your experience with Walker cameras in general and the 5x7 Tital XL in particular? Would you recommend?

Any other suggestion regarding a 5x7 camera is welcome.

Thank's a lot in advance for your comments.

Best regards from France

Thierry Schreiner

David Karp
11-Aug-2008, 17:19
I have a 4x5 Titan SF, so my comments are regarding Walker cameras in general.

The fit and finish on my camera is phenomenal. Everything fits together just right. The camera is very rigid. All the movements work easily and smoothly. The GG/fresnel combination are very good. I really, really, like this camera. It is extremely underrated. Given the chance to revisit my decision, I would buy one again, without hesitation.

In addition, Mike Walker is a great guy. Very communicative. If you have any questions, I would not hesitate to ask him directly, in addition to whatever you read on this forum.

I don't recall ever reading a negative comment about Mike or his cameras.

BradS
11-Aug-2008, 19:07
Yeah have to agree. Mike makes a damned fine camera. Smooth, precise and incredibly rugged. Highly recommended.

David Karp
11-Aug-2008, 20:03
Oh yeah.

Rugged -- Very.

akalai
11-Aug-2008, 22:13
...am also interested in the Walker 5x7 XL.

Any tips and/or tricks for use in the field that people have gained from experience with this camera?

Are there any Australian users of this camera? Be interested in getting in contact and perhaps even meeting if possible to see the camera in the flesh.

Chuck Pere
12-Aug-2008, 05:00
Bellows is pretty short for 5x7. More of a wide angle camera.

speedtrials
12-Aug-2008, 11:45
Mike is a phenomenal guy to deal with if you need parts later on.

evan clarke
12-Aug-2008, 12:54
Bellows is pretty short for 5x7. More of a wide angle camera.

Actually, Walker calls it the 5x7 Ultrawide XL...Evan Clarke

Richard Littlewood
13-Aug-2008, 10:51
I love my Walker Titan. None of that old fashioned wood stuff!

akalai
13-Aug-2008, 20:35
Would be great to hear from any actual 5x7 XL users out there and their experiences with this camera... anyone?

prado333
14-Aug-2008, 08:16
sorry to say that but i used a 5x7 walker xl camera and i was really dissapoiment.
the back was very rude to use because didn´t close ok and smooth and the bellows is very poor material and very bad folded so vignette appears in a great number of pictures , i bought mine in France in taos photographic so if you plan to buy one please inspect first the camera play with the controls to be sure.
i hope only my camera was so and the rest are ok, because the idea and design of this camera is very good .
a bellows like arca swiss will be the best option.

evan clarke
14-Aug-2008, 09:38
Hi to all,

I would like to have a really down to earth, userfriendly and light camera and consider Mike Walker's 5x7 Titan XL as a possible choice, as I rarely use back movements. I do mostly outdoor photography and wild camera movements are not a necessity.

What is your experience with Walker cameras in general and the 5x7 Tital XL in particular? Would you recommend?

Best regards from France

Thierry Schreiner

The Tachihara double extension 5x7 is a marvelous camera and can be bought in the US for about $1300...Evan Clarke

akalai
18-Sep-2008, 03:05
People might be interested in reading this updated posting on APUG about the Walker 5x7 XL :

"I visited Walker Cameras and had a play!" <updated 09-2008>
http://www.apug.org/forums/forum44/12484-i-visited-walker-cameras-had-play-4.html (http://www.apug.org/forums/forum44/12484-i-visited-walker-cameras-had-play-4.html)

Keith Tapscott.
18-Sep-2008, 03:26
Hi to all,

Best regards from France

Thierry SchreinerThierry, you might be interested to know that Mike is planning an 8x10 version of the XL. I was going to buy one from him, but had to pull out due to a family member becoming ill.