PDA

View Full Version : New at LF - How to get color developed

Jehu
11-Aug-2008, 09:42
I've managed to produce some successful b/w shots with my daylight tank so I gave color a try. I loaded up some 4x5 backs with Kodak E100VS color slide film and headed for Donner Lake. Now I have exposed film in backs and I'm not sure what to do next.

Should I just pack the film into a used film box and send it to Praus? (or another lab?) Perhaps someone could recommend a lab closer to reno.

I assume this uses E-6 processing but it's all new to me so I'm not sure about anything.

Any help would be appreciated.

BradS
11-Aug-2008, 10:10
Should I just pack the film into a used film box and send it to Praus? (or another lab?)

Yes.

Perhaps someone could recommend a lab closer to Reno
I like Calypso in Santa Cruz, CA and New Lab in San Francisco but, I bet you could find some body local if you ask around a little bit. By way of example, I found a guy up the street from me who still processes LF E6 in his lab. He used to be a "pro-lab" where wedding photogs brought stuff. Now, he has kinda., branched out. You may find a similar place in Reno.

I assume this uses E-6 processing

and, yes.

Jan Nieuwenhuysen
11-Aug-2008, 10:14
Yes, that's E-6 processing.
I can not recommend a lab near you, since I live in Europe.

Normal pratice is to put the film in an empty box (all three parts, stacked the right way), tape it shut and state your name & address, type of processing (E-6), number of sheets and how they should be developed on the outside. You can indicate 'N' for Normal development (if shot at rated ISO), or indicate pull or push with number of stops. Like: N-1 or N+1 2/3.

For instance:

E-6, 6x, N.

I suggest you contact the lab first before sending the film over if you are a new customer.

Good luck!

BradS
11-Aug-2008, 10:28
google is your friend. I searched for "photo lab reno". Here's one that looks promising:

http://www.gordonsphotoservice.com/

Jehu
11-Aug-2008, 11:58
google is your friend. I searched for "photo lab reno". Here's one that looks promising:

http://www.gordonsphotoservice.com/

I highly recomend Gordon's Photo. They match the department store prices on the Nikon D series cameras and give excellent support to boot. I've never had a problem with them. I got my medium format outfit, a D200 Nikon, Studio lights, large format equipment and a lot of supplies from Gordon's over the years. They just don't do large format developing in house.

4x5 E-6 or C-41 developing:
Gordons: $4.65 per sheet (they send it out)
Calypso: $1.75 per sheet

Jehu
19-Aug-2008, 07:40
I just got my first batch of color back. It seems like they did a good job but I think I need to work on my metering & focusing. This LF is quite a challange.
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z95/Jehu10842/LF_color/Donner_color04a2-2.jpg

Jan Nieuwenhuysen
19-Aug-2008, 09:29
This LF is quite a challange.
Yes, and a very rewarding one once you get things sorted out. Looks like you are well on your way!