PDA

View Full Version : Photos in Minneapolis

Jerry Flynn
8-Aug-2008, 14:08
Last night I took in the Lee Friedlander show at the Minneapolis Institute of Arts. It opened June 29 and will run through September 14th.

This is the retrospective show that was put together by MoMA.

Now, I know he is not LF, he is not everyone's cup of tea, etc., but like him or not, he has been an important figure in late 20th century photography.

The show is huge. Over 500 (that's right, 500) prints: you get a real sense of his take on the world. I would like to mention that he is a consummate craftsman. 8X10 prints from 35mm negs are grainless with superb tonal range. There are some made with a SWC as well.

In the gallery right next door to this show, is an exhibit of the work of local-boy-made-good Alec Soth. The MIA has received a complete set of the prints from his Sleeping By The Mississippi project: everything that was in the book plus a few extras. These are large (40X50?) C-prints. Again, not everybody's cup of tea, but at least LF - they were shot with an 8X10 (Canham, I believe). Hurry, this one ends Sunday.

Third and last, the photography gallery on the third floor has, in addition to a selection of classics from the permanent collection, a show called "Peter Henry Emerson and American Naturalistic Photography". A dozen or so of PHE's platinum prints of workers in East Anglia and then 50 or so prints of idyllic rural scenes by American photographers of the 1880's through the early part of the 20th century - some well-known, and some obscure. Most of the prints are platinum.

If you live nearby or ar passing through soon (like to the Republican Convention :eek: ), stop in.

The Minneapolis Institute of Arts is just south of downtown Minneapolis.

http://www.artsmia.org/

Robert Glieden
8-Aug-2008, 17:22
I'll second on how good of a resource the MIA is. One can go into their archives with an appointment and see anything from Adams to Weston. Also in town is Weinstein Gallery which is a member of Aipad and regularly exhibits photography. A real shame is that the Minnesota Center for Photography just closed its doors. Minneapolis has a pretty good arts scene in general.

Robert Glieden

www.robertglieden.com