PDA

View Full Version : Victoria / Vancouver Island meeting and casual LF user group

walter23
7-Aug-2008, 10:32
First, I'd like to announce an LF users' group mailing list for people in Victoria and on Vancouver island.

Just go to google groups (groups.google.com) and search for "victoria-large-format-user-group". You should be able to sign up from there, I think.

Otherwise you might be able to send an email to victoria-large-format-user-group@gmail.com and you'll probably get an automated reply telling you how to sign up.

Next, it might be fun to have a casual get-together of some sort. I'm happy to volunteer my place to the cause - I live in Vic West and it should be pretty easy to get to. I'm not sure what date but possible the weekend of the 16th or the 23rd. Alternatively, maybe you're all busy enjoying your summer weekends outside, so some weeknight might be a better idea? The idea would just be to get to know each other and share some prints - nothing rigid or formal, just a casual meet-up.

The Calgary LFUG that I used to visit had a good system where we'd meet once a month on the second Tuesday just to show a recent print or two and hang out, alternating between people's houses or locations. It was pretty fun and seemed like a good way to share experiences and show images to each other. Maybe we could eventually do something like that?

Thoughts?

If everyone's busy with vacation and camping and stuff, we could put it off until September.

walter23
7-Aug-2008, 14:35
By the way, yes, this was discussed here before but it was in someone's introduction thread, so I figured it might be a good idea to post this to pull anybody else out of the woodwork.

David Luttmann
7-Aug-2008, 16:11
I'd love to sometime....but for this one, I'm away until September.

Don Wilkes
8-Aug-2008, 09:28
Walter: I'm up for it either weekend, although with some provisos (out for dinner on of the Saturdays, and I golf Sunday mornings).

Cheers,
\dw

walter23
8-Aug-2008, 22:33
Alright, I'm just returning from a trip to Cowgary (leaving tomorrow) and I'll suggest some arbitrary date once I'm back in town.

Albert Lombardi
9-Aug-2008, 09:27
The 23rd works for me.

walter23
14-Aug-2008, 14:39
Looks like it'll probably be the 24th at 7pm in the evening (sunday night). If that's annoying for a significant number of people it can be changed, otherwise we'll go ahead with that.

Check the mailing list for my address or PM me.

Robert Skeoch
15-Aug-2008, 16:51
I think I can make it.
-Rob

Merg Ross
15-Aug-2008, 20:20
Wish I could join you, one of my favorite places to photograph for over thirty years.

Hi Don, are you still golfing with the Toyo?

Best,
Merg

walter23
15-Aug-2008, 21:58
I think I can make it.
-Rob

That'd be really cool. I just missed you in Calgary as I just moved away from there ;)

walter23
18-Aug-2008, 00:33
I just realized the day I suggested is also the day of Rob Skeoch's workshop.

I guess there's time for you all to go to Duncan and then get back here for 7pm, right?

Don Wilkes
20-Aug-2008, 13:17
Hello, Merg!

I don't know how I missed the rest of this thread in the past couple of days; I usually see pretty much everything new through the "unified view", but perhaps I should be more diligent...

Hah -- golfing with the Toyo <g>. They conflict terribly, of course, as Saturday is chores day, and on Sunday I have to pick between golf and the camera. It's a cruel choice, but I think most of us are familiar with the expression, "Happy wife, happy life."

Ahem.

I did take the old Calumet CC-400 out to the golf course once, on a foggy morning, and got some nice frames. It was a heck of an ordeal dragging the kit around on an old luggage cart, though. The current backpack with the Toyo would be vastly better!

As ever, please do give a call if you're up here on a visit; I'd love to chat some more over a beer or something.

Cheers,
\donw

Robert Skeoch
21-Aug-2008, 15:54
should work out fine.
-Rob

walter23
28-Oct-2008, 19:09
Hey, just thought I'd post details of a meet up this week, if anyone is interested in dropping by. A couple of us are going to get together at Swans for a beer at 6:30. We'll be most likely in the covered patio area, and at least one of us will have a 4x5 camera along (to demo for someone else) and possibly a print or two as well.

SAShruby
31-Oct-2008, 16:25
Can Vancouverians join too?

I may ask a few people around here if they wanna go or not. I have a big van, I think it's doable to come for one-two days or so.

walter23
31-Oct-2008, 17:50
Can Vancouverians join too?

I may ask a few people around here if they wanna go or not. I have a big van, I think it's doable to come for one-two days or so.

Absolutely! However I just realized I neglected to mention the date; we met up last night (Thursday).

We're hoping to organize an outing or something - right now we've tentatively agreed to meet up in a couple of weeks (Sunday on the weekend of the 15th). If you want to get in on the discussion please feel free to join the mailing list.

http://groups.google.ca/group/victoria-large-format-user-group?pli=1

This is all very informal stuff here, anyone can contribute in any way they want, whether its organizing a meeting or outing or a technical demonstration or anything else.