PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Shen Hao FCL57-A

Scott Kathe
7-Aug-2008, 10:29
I shoot with a Shen Hao HZX 45-IIa as of now but would like to step up to 5x7 in the near future. I shoot mostly nature/landscape with FP4+, HP5+, Provia and Velvia. My present lens kit is a 90mm f8 Super Angulon, 150mm f5.6 Nikkor W and a 210mm f6.1 Schneider Xenar. How much movement will I get with these lenses on 5x7? Would I need a bag bellows with the 90mm Super Angulon?

There are several reasons I'd like to try 5x7. One is the ability to make contact prints bigger than I can with 4x5. The film area is greater so if I scan with my Epson 4990 I'll be able to make slightly larger prints. I find 4x5 a little too boxy and 2:3 a little long, I think 5x7 simply looks nice.

I have thought about getting an older 5x7 and restoring it but the FCL57-A looks like a decent camera that doesn't weigh much more than my 4x5 and would probably be more solid than an older camera. I don't know that I would give up 4x5 since I could use a reducing back and probably shoot color in 4x5 since it would be less expensive this way. I would probably use the 5x7 primarily for making contact prints. I have read this thread http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=19657
but would appreciate any more information. I like shooting more than 100 yards from my car;)

Sincerely,

Scott Kathe

Morten
7-Aug-2008, 10:37
There should be no need for a bag bellows, I have no problem focusing a 90/6.8 Angulon on mine, and moving it out of coverage.:rolleyes: But you need to do a forward tilt of the camera baseplate and then level the back and front, this to avoid getting the front of the camera in the frame. Dont ask why I know this.. :)

As for movements on your lenses, consult the info on the LF Home Page. (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/lenses/)

Regards
Morten

Chuck Pere
7-Aug-2008, 13:16
The 150 Nikkor wouldn't have much in the way of movements. I went with a 150 G-Claron for 5x7 and it works OK. I saw a FCL57-A on Ebay the other day. Came with the 4x5 back and bag bellows for around $1200 or best offer.

Scott Kathe
7-Aug-2008, 13:31
I saw a FCL57-A on Ebay the other day. Came with the 4x5 back and bag bellows for around $1200 or best offer.

That's what piqued my interest;)

Scott

BradS
10-Aug-2008, 06:08
The 210mm Xenar gives very adequate coverage for 5x7. One of my favorites.

Nick_3536
10-Aug-2008, 06:45
The 8x10 version can handle a 90mm with the normal bellows. So the 5x7 shouldn't have a problem.

If you're buying new I'd actually consider the 8x10. It's not much more money then the 5x7 or much heavier. Can take an 8x10,5x7 or 4x10 back.

Scott Kathe
10-Aug-2008, 08:29
The 210mm Xenar gives very adequate coverage for 5x7. One of my favorites.

Brad,

That is good to know-I can do a lot of shooting with just a normal lens. Question 2 would you get rid of your 4x5 if you had the 5x7? and what are your impressions of the Burke and James 5x7 commercial view (that I saw on your site) versus the Shen Hao?

Scott

BradS
10-Aug-2008, 09:19
Brad,

That is good to know-I can do a lot of shooting with just a normal lens. Question 2 would you get rid of your 4x5 if you had the 5x7? and what are your impressions of the Burke and James 5x7 commercial view (that I saw on your site) versus the Shen Hao?

Scott

Would I get rid of the 4x5...well, in my case, I no, didn't (but, I am a bit diseased - I have six 210mm lenses!). When I bought the Canham 5x7, I immediately also bought the 4x5 reducing back but I also kept the 4x5 that I had been using for a few years (an Ebony). The difference in weight and size is considerable...and, well, I just love the little Ebony. This might not be the case however with the two cameras you are considering.

Comparison of the B&J commercial view to the new Shen Hao....that's not really fair but, I'll give it a go. Keep in mind, I am very biased. I've owned two very excellent examples of the B&J and have never really even laid eyes on a Shen. That said, (jeez this is not a fair comparison at all). A decent B&J 5x7 can be had for under $250 and it will do everything that you could ever want....it is handsome, compact, relatively light weight, has rear focus, is easy to carry and has lots of movements front and rear. Now, for the annoyances:

1) the track is made of aluminum and the slider that kinda runs along the track is also made of aluminum. The slider thingys get bent and then they are very hard to slide along the track.

2) the plastic (black) lensboard hosings - up front warp and are then hard to move smoothly. The wood (grey) ones do not have this problem.

3) Wood lens boards.

4) The most irritating and frustrating thing of all though is that the controls for tilt and rise/fall are NOT independent. Similarly, the controls for shift and swing and NOT independent. This is true front and rear...and really make usage a royal pain. For example, when you loosen the lock for the front tilt...you've also loosened it for front fall....and that's just what it does. Fall! Actually, the later model that I had would allow one to swing the back without the shift being all loosie-goosie.

5) Hmmm, as if I need say more....

Summary, If you can afford something better, go for it. The Shen is definitely better than a B&J commercial view (if not quite as handsom). I'd personally also ask around for a used Canham 5x7. They're out there. I got mine from a very reputable dealer for not much more than what you'll end up spending on a new Shen-Hao 5x7. I think I'd even consider a Deardorff or Wisner before the Shen...but, that's just me.

Scott Kathe
10-Aug-2008, 09:36
After buying a lot (according to my wife) of camera gear I've found that I really don't need anything new, especially with large format. So, I would be looking at used equipment exclusively since I can get more bang for my buck that way.

I especially understand this statement:
"4) The most irritating and frustrating thing of all though is that the controls for tilt and rise/fall are NOT independent."
I built a Bender 4x5 and it has this exact same feature;)

I'm not sure what I will end up doing but thanks for all the advise.

Scott

Nick_3536
10-Aug-2008, 09:43
If you're looking at a newish camera like the FCL I doubt you'll save much money. Just aren't that many examples out there to buy.

No reason to give up 4x5 just get the reducing back. The FCL goes very wide and will go reasonably long to.

Scott Kathe
10-Aug-2008, 09:58
No reason to give up 4x5 just get the reducing back. The FCL goes very wide and will go reasonably long to.

That's what I was thinking. The question about giving up the 4x5 was with respect to selling my Shen Hao 4x5 once (and if) I got the 5x7.

Scott