PDA

View Full Version : using BTZS tubes Should I dilute the developer

Tony Flora
7-Aug-2008, 08:46
I am about to develop 20 sheets of 4x5 film I shot over the weekend in Ilford DD-X using BTZS tubes. The Film Developers cookbook recommends diluting developer when using continuous agitation by at least 30% in order to slow highlight development, increase shadow detail, and improve sharpness. The recommended dilution from the Ilford fact sheet on DD-X is 1+4. What are your thoughts on dilution when using constant agitation? What dilution would you recommend in BTZS tubes and at what volume? I am developing shots of fallen trees on the beach in mid day sun if it matters.
Thanks,

Tony

Claude Sapp
7-Aug-2008, 09:23
I modified the dilution of developer used in BTZS tubes so that my normal development time is close to ten minutes. This leaves plenty of room for expansion/ contraction on either side of my normal time.

To note, I had to INCREASE the concentration of developer to achieve something close to ten minutes.

Shen45
7-Aug-2008, 17:30
I am about to develop 20 sheets of 4x5 film I shot over the weekend in Ilford DD-X using BTZS tubes. The Film Developers cookbook recommends diluting developer when using continuous agitation by at least 30% in order to slow highlight development, increase shadow detail, and improve sharpness. The recommended dilution from the Ilford fact sheet on DD-X is 1+4. What are your thoughts on dilution when using constant agitation? What dilution would you recommend in BTZS tubes and at what volume? I am developing shots of fallen trees on the beach in mid day sun if it matters.
Thanks,

Tony

Tony with the BTZS tubes the times for the Jobo are fairly close.

I would think DDX at 1:4 will be over and done with quickly so if there is a higher dilution aim for that.

Because the tubes are individual calculate what you think the development time will be -- shoot one test sheet -- process it and do a print to see everything is correct for you.

If Ilford offer a time for continuous development try that as a starting point or take about 15% off your normal development time as a starting point.

Don't pre - soak in the tubes, but, shake them very strongly for 10 seconds to start with and they are "instantly" and evenly wet.

Do the test :)

Steve