PDA

View Full Version : Ilford Film Question

WOLF
7-Aug-2008, 05:14
Being brand new to LF - I have just recieved my very first box of 5x7 film. My question is can I open the box in daylight? Is the film in any type of internal pakaging inside the cardboard box? Is the actual film sheets alos seperately packaged in some sort of single envelope for each sheet? The box is just the smaller 25 sheet quantity. I have already read several books on the need to load the film into the holders in complete darkness but since this is the first time I have bought this I dont want to be totally stupid and just start opening the box.

Thanks for any help with this...

Bobf
7-Aug-2008, 05:28
No, do not open in daylight.

If it is packaged the same as their 4x5 film, it has the usual 3-tier box. Inside the inner box is the film wrapped in a light-tight plastic bag, *BUT* it is not sealed, only folded over, so light will get in if you open the box in daylight. Only ever open in total darkness (darkroom or changing bag). As I say, I'm assuming it is packaged the same as their 4x5 film which seems likely.

Have fun, Bob.

hmf
7-Aug-2008, 07:56
As Bobf suggested, the film does come in a plastic bag. Inside the bag, the 25 sheets of film will be stacked together, without any other material, within a two-sided cardboard holder. Turn the holder so that, when the film is laying on a table in front of you, oriented with the long side horizontally, the film notches are in the bottom right corner. you now have the emulsion side of the film up. You'll easily feel the notches with your fingertip.

Frank Nored
7-Aug-2008, 08:12
Here is a link to filmholder loading that I found very helpful when I started.

http://www.butzi.net/articles/filmload.htm

D. Bryant
7-Aug-2008, 08:18
Being brand new to LF - I have just recieved my very first box of 5x7 film. My question is can I open the box in daylight? Is the film in any type of internal pakaging inside the cardboard box? Is the actual film sheets alos seperately packaged in some sort of single envelope for each sheet? The box is just the smaller 25 sheet quantity. I have already read several books on the need to load the film into the holders in complete darkness but since this is the first time I have bought this I dont want to be totally stupid and just start opening the box.

Thanks for any help with this...Never open film or paper in daylight. Complete darkness always for film.

Don Bryant

Michael Alpert
7-Aug-2008, 08:40
Wolf,

The link that Frank posted is a good one. I would suggest that you take one sheet out of the box (in complete darkness) and then practice loading your film holders with the lights on. It's worth sacrificing one sheet. Once you have the hang of it with the lights on, you will be able to work better in darkness. Also, everyone makes mistakes in the beginning. Don't be upset by faulty steps. With time and perseverance, everything technical becomes easier.

Capocheny
7-Aug-2008, 09:22
Wolf,

Aside from all the good information above about the packaging and not opening the box in light... the other thing you should notice from the Paul Butzi link is that the film must go underneath the second rail in the film holder. It's clearly shown in the images.

Lastly, I would suggest picking up some good books and reading up on the subject matter. Look for Steve Simmons, Jack Dykinga, or Jim Stone's book.

Good luck... LF photography is great fun especially after you see your first image!

Cheers