PDA

View Full Version : work in alaska

Hollis
5-Aug-2008, 21:41
Hello all,

Any familiar know that I am travelling the country shooting for a full year (3 months down). I am about to head north to anchorage and am thinking about getting a small cabin to live in for a month or two. I was wondering if anyone knew of anywork up north that they could provide from a Davis/Bacon gig to fishing (used to guide on the Naknek) or anything in between.

Please, let me know.

Hollis Bennett
hollis@hollisbennett.com

Michael T. Murphy
5-Aug-2008, 22:51
Getting late in the year for some parts of Alaska. Don't get stuck somewhere.

Hollis
6-Aug-2008, 23:33
Yeah, I know it's late and there are way worse things than getting stuck in my opinion. I won't be going to far to the inland. If I get stuck, so be it. Reason to read through all the books I have been toting around.

Aahx
14-Aug-2008, 16:32
I live in Eagle River just north of Anchorage if you need a contact here. Though honestly I don't know if I could help you much on either employment, or the housing side of things. I will also be out of state for two weeks in the latter part of September (I will be in Yellowstone).

As for seasonal work the season is close to being over. Most openings for that kind of work is in the spring, though you might get lucky and find something. As for Davis Bacon work if you can pass security clearances you might be able to get a job with a contractor on a military base doing construction, or service work. Though I honestly would not depend on getting work to pay your way. Unemployment is high, costs of living are high, and wages are often not comensurate. We currently have the highest fuel prices in the nation as well. Not to paint a bleak picture mind you, it's just not terribly economicly friendly up here at present. First snow usualy gets here mid Oct to mid Nov. Though with the unusualy cold summer we have been having this year, I would not be suprised to see snow on the ground even as early as late September.

On the positive side fall can be a glorious time to take pictures. September when the leaves are changing can be esspecialy rewarding. Also first snow and frosts in some locations can be very dramatic. And with all the rain we have been having the water tables have stayed up, so waterfalls in some area's are still fairly nice. We also have a good lab in Anchorage to process E-6, C-41, and B/W in large format if needed.

Good luck on your trip here. And feel free to drop me a note when you get near Anchorage if you have any questions.

Robert Fisher
14-Aug-2008, 18:11
Aahx, what is the name of the lab in Anchorage?

Thanks!

Eric James
14-Aug-2008, 18:19
The best pro lab in Anchorage is Kellers:

http://www.kellersphotolab.com/

Robert Fisher
14-Aug-2008, 19:40
thanks Eric!

I have been lugging exposed film back to Houston for years. Now I have an excuse to spend an extra day in Anchorage.

Eric James
14-Aug-2008, 19:47
You should consider having lunch or dinner at the Bear's Tooth or the Moose's Tooth while you're waiting for your film. For fish, Kinely's next to the Moose's Tooth is great - they usually have fine photography on display too.

Robert Fisher
14-Aug-2008, 20:01
Food is always a challenge for me in Alaska - I am a vegan. I usually stock up with veggies at Eagle River when I head north.

Hollis
14-Aug-2008, 23:54
Yeah, Vegan's don't do well up North, or in Wyoming for that matter. I do understand the hardships, I did use to live there, just has been some time. Looks like I can get either my bartending job back in King Salmon or work for ADF&G doing fish counts on the Bering sea. Fun. There will be good photos though. Im not in it for the scenics, Im in it for the people.

Hollis

Hollis
14-Aug-2008, 23:56
Oh, thanks for the info on the lab too. I had a nightmare of a time with my 4x5 film through the Seattle airport a few days ago on the way to Nashville. Essentially, the options I was given were 1) open my film boxes 2) send them through the x-ray or 3) get arrested for causing a 'disturbance'

its a long story.

Aahx
15-Aug-2008, 13:54
The best pro lab in Anchorage is Kellers:

http://www.kellersphotolab.com/

Hehe.. I guess we have a difference in opinion. I much prefer Photowright for my film work.

resummerfield
15-Aug-2008, 18:22
I had never heard of Kellers Photo, and I will check them out. For the last decade or so I've been using Photowright, and I've always been very happy with their work.

Eric James
15-Aug-2008, 18:28
I've been to Photowright four times - three of the four times they didn't have my film ready as promised. The fourth time - this past June - I went in only to learn that they weren't processing film that day. Once I saw a technician putting my film into sleeves with her oily hands. They are full of unfounded opinions and not very nice about it. Did your know that an interneg is superior to a drum scan? Oh, and they charge more than the friendly folks at Keller's.

Robert - definitely consider The Moose's Tooth for their salads.

z_photo
15-Aug-2008, 22:24
Oh, thanks for the info on the lab too. I had a nightmare of a time with my 4x5 film through the Seattle airport a few days ago on the way to Nashville. Essentially, the options I was given were 1) open my film boxes 2) send them through the x-ray or 3) get arrested for causing a 'disturbance'

its a long story.

next trip to nashville fedex the film to chromatics a day or so before your arrival and they will have it waiting for you when you get to nash. chromatics does fine work. :)

Frank Petronio
15-Aug-2008, 23:27
Sounds like you could work for Photowright if you wash your hands ;-)

Hollis
17-Aug-2008, 23:40
well, it was a hassle to get film through security and all but I got some great images. They will be posted on my site as soon as possible.