PDA

View Full Version : yet another scanner question

h2oman
3-Aug-2008, 16:02
I have been following all the scanner discussions here, and I'm sorry if my question has been previously answered.

I currently have no means of scanning my transparencies. I had originally thought of getting something like a V700 for scanning for the web and modest sized prints, but my thinking is changing a bit. Now I'm thinking that if i get something I really like I will want to have it drum scanned. Anything that I might want a print of, but that is not that exciting I could perhaps get scanned dry mounted by WCI on their iQsmart for $15, and then I could get a very inexpensive scanner for web posting.

Any comments on this plan? Any recommendations for an inexpensive scanner that can scan 4x5 transparencies? What about software needed?

Walter Calahan
3-Aug-2008, 16:22
A V700 IS an inexpensive scanner for web usage, when compared to owning, say, an Imacon.

Now if you simply want cheap, then there are lots of options.

Ash
3-Aug-2008, 16:36
I've been looking and the options seem very limited. Personally I may run with the idea of the V700.

coops
3-Aug-2008, 18:12
I have an Epson V750 and recently scanned a color 4 x 5 image and sent it to a lab to be printed as 20 x 30. I was amazed at how good it looked, as was my friend who has many years as a drum scan operator. It was dry mounted when I scanned it.

Harley Goldman
3-Aug-2008, 19:57
It really depends on how big you wish to print. For prints up to 16x20, 4x5 film scanned on the v700/v750 scanners look very good. Not quite as nice as a drum scan, but still pretty dang good. You would only notice if you put them side by side. If you want to print 30x40, then you will probably prefer a drum scan.

I have the V750 and am happy with my 16x20 prints. Opinions vary a bit, but most users are quite satisfied with prints that size from that scanner. Another good choice is the Microtek M1 scanner.

h2oman
3-Aug-2008, 20:30
I think I need to come to grips with the concept that a scanner might cost me as much as one of the moderately nice used lenses I equipped myself with!

Thanks for the ihput so far, and if anyone has something else to add, please chime in.

By the way, remind me of the difference between the V700 and V750...

venchka
4-Aug-2008, 07:08
Another option: Find an Epson 4990 used, in good to great condition, cheap. Add some Betterscanning film holders.

I too am agonizing over the purchase of a scanner. Epson V750 vs. Microtek M1 Pro. Like Vern said, "Analize, Comparasize." The two scanners are so close in performance that I can't make myself buy either one. The price is virtually the same.

What's a guy to do?

Lenny Eiger
4-Aug-2008, 16:41
I have been following all the scanner discussions here, and I'm sorry if my question has been previously answered.

I currently have no means of scanning my transparencies. I had originally thought of getting something like a V700 for scanning for the web and modest sized prints, but my thinking is changing a bit. Now I'm thinking that if i get something I really like I will want to have it drum scanned. Anything that I might want a print of, but that is not that exciting I could perhaps get scanned dry mounted by WCI on their iQsmart for $15, and then I could get a very inexpensive scanner for web posting.

Any comments on this plan? Any recommendations for an inexpensive scanner that can scan 4x5 transparencies? What about software needed?

I would say find someone who can do a professional job on one of your negs or chromes. then you will have something to compare. Drums range from about $1500-$5000 for a base machine. Sort of what a good camera costs...

I looked at your work and if it were me I would want a drum scan. (Not a 700 scan...)

Lenny

h2oman
4-Aug-2008, 18:37
Thanks for what I think is a compliment, Lenny. Unfortunately I have few or no 4x5 shots I like as well as many of the ones at my website, which were shot with a DSLR. I intend for that to change, however!

My current line of thought is to pick up an inexpensive and/or used scanner for web posting and fooling with mediocre shots (practicing whatever digital processing I might want to do), then pay someone like you to drum scan anything of note.

Thanks, everyone, for your input to this point.

Ash
5-Aug-2008, 05:10
Getting a cheap scanner and "fooling" around is possibly the worst thing you could do. That's pretty much where I've been and it's not that I regret it, more that it's a pain in the ass.

Your images look rubbish, making you less likely to use them.
The scanner takes longer, making the process drawn out and tedious.
etc.

If you can truly afford it, go for a "good" scanner or nothing at all.

Don Hutton
5-Aug-2008, 06:25
The scanner takes longer, making the process drawn out and tedious.
etc.It takes about an hour for a 4x5 4000DPI drum scan on my scanner - consumer flatbeds are fast in comparison. Scanning is always tedious at best. Sounds to me like the OP should buy a one generation previous scanner (4990?) and get busy. There's a learning curve with scanning and you probably want to get on it. It also will give you the ability to get you work up on the web and to have some decent prints from it. I made do with a consumer flatbed for years... Learned a lot and even have some pretty good prints.... I've seen some awesome prints made from scans on Epson flatbeds - better than I've ever done - so it's not a completely limiting factor. If you want to shoot color and scan on a cheaper scanner, I'd stick to negative films - they resulting negs tend to have lower desnity than chromes which often results in better scans. Doug Fisher's Betterscanning holder is possibly the best value in any piece of photo gear I have bought it years.

h2oman
5-Aug-2008, 16:58
Thanks for the ideas/opinions everyone. My final solution is to buy a used Canon 9950F from a fellow forum member who has kindly volunteered to help me get going with it. For anything worthy of a really good print I'll have someone drum scan for me. Ash - I respect your view, and I hope that either (a) this scanner isn't too cheap and problematic or (b) I get lucky and work it all out!

hassiman
11-Aug-2008, 10:26
The Nikon Super CoolScan 9000 is a good option...:D though they are sometimes hard to find.:eek: