PDA

View Full Version : Large QR plate for 5x7 and up..

Andrew ren
2-Aug-2008, 20:53
for an arca QR type, any suggestions?

I did a bit work here, Wimberley/rrs/kirk.
I need a more squarish plate. but all those above seems too skinny long.
the metal base on my canham57 is about 4"x4". I might have to switch to a Pan-tilt head should I can't find the right plate for the ballhead.

Thanks

Andrew

Eric Leppanen
2-Aug-2008, 21:18
Back in late 2004, I purchased from Kirk a square Arca-style QR plate for my Ebony 8x10 camera. I have since sold both the camera and the plate, and I have no record of the plate's model number, but I do know that the plate supported a 3/8 inch mounting screw, was 3 3/8 inches square, 3/4 of an inch thick at its thickest point, and had a rubber gasket which ensured a solid grip onto the underside of the camera. This plate worked very well for me, and I was very happy with it. I have no idea if Kirk still makes it.

Andrew ren
2-Aug-2008, 21:31
Eric,

I would have gone for a long-rail QR plate for this type of camera(ebony), as the base is solid flat. those kirk/wimberley fits very well and dual/tri screw mounts as well.

for the canham, at least mine, the base isn't flat, the only mounting area I can trust is the 4"x4" flate metal plate area. So that is what I am dreaming for.

Eric Leppanen
2-Aug-2008, 23:04
Eric,

I would have gone for a long-rail QR plate for this type of camera(ebony), as the base is solid flat.I agree, except that when I purchased the camera neither RRS nor Kirk had a long plate that would fit. Frankly, I was pleasantly surprised at how well the square plate worked.

Brian Ellis
3-Aug-2008, 06:35
Bogen/Manfrotto makes a 4" x 4" plate #3297 but I believe you'd need a Bogen head to use it. I used it with the Bogen #3057 head for 8x10 - heavy but a rock-solid combination. I also used it with the #3039 and #3047 heads - a little lighter than the #3057 but still fine for 5x7 I would think.

Jeff Keller
3-Aug-2008, 09:42
If you are worried about the small plate denting the bottom of your camera you could probably get a square piece of steel, drill a clearance hole through it, then attach the quick release plate with the steel plate between the camera and the quick release plate just using a longer screw.

If you don't think a single screw will keep a quick release plate firmly attached to your camera you could attach a thick piece of aluminum to your camera which you've added a couple threaded holes to for attaching a quick release plate. The quick release plates are quite stable when they are mounted against solid metal.

Andrew ren
3-Aug-2008, 11:03
Brian,
the bogen plates are significantly larger than arcas'. but at least for now, I still want to tick with the ballhead.

Jeff,
I think the less adaption the more stability you are going to get. I mean probably the best is screw the camera right on the ballhead without any QR clamp and plate. but sometime convenience is also important. I had 2 screws on the plate, 1/4 and 3/8. just want a larger square-ish plate fits the 4" x 4" metal base on the canham.