PDA

View Full Version : Diafine and TMY-2

Ed Richards
2-Aug-2008, 09:04
Just did my first test sheets of 4x5 TMY-2 in diafine. It had a lot more grain than using Xtol 1:3. I used it 1:1 in a rotary processor, 5+5 at 76 degrees. Did not seem as sharp as Xtol, either. More testing awaits. How does this compare with other's experience?

Jim Cole
2-Aug-2008, 09:26
I started using Diafine 1:1 with TMY-2 this past week. I was using DD-X and the grain was comparable if not a bit finer with the Diafine. TMY-2 only needs 3+3 minutes with and without the 1:1 dilution. Try the shorter time and see if that helps.

Ed Richards
2-Aug-2008, 12:34
Jim,

Are you using a rotary base?

Jim Cole
2-Aug-2008, 12:51
Ed,

Yes, I use a Uniroller that I modified to allow me to switch directions when I want (usually every 15 seconds). I develop in a Jobo 2500 series tank with 2509n reels. No matter what I do I cannot eliminate the uneven development along the long sides of the sheets where they contact the reel. Which developer I use doesn't matter. I decided to bite the bullet and bought a Jobo 3010 Expert tank that hopefully will eliminate the issue.

sanking
2-Aug-2008, 13:29
Ed,

Ditto the grain. Diafine definitely gives more grain than Xtol 1:2 (I have never tried 1:3) but I think the Diafine negatives are sharper than Xtol negatives.

Grain is finer with divided D-23 (maybe not as fine as Xtol) , and it is very sharp.

Sandy King

Just did my first test sheets of 4x5 TMY-2 in diafine. It had a lot more grain than using Xtol 1:3. I used it 1:1 in a rotary processor, 5+5 at 76 degrees. Did not seem as sharp as Xtol, either. More testing awaits. How does this compare with other's experience?

wclavey
5-Aug-2008, 09:08
Is it the agitation that is producing the grain? I have just started shooting TMY-2 in 4x5 and I want to try the Diafine 1:1 with continuous agitation. My prior experience with other films and Diafine was that the continuous agitation, when that was the only variation, produced more pronounced grain... but that was 20+ years ago and it was 120 roll film (mostly Tri-X). My hope was that the 1:1 dilution would eliminate that. I wanted the continuous agitation because with the Jobo reels (2509), it eliminates most of the other problems I have with development evenness.

Paul H
6-Aug-2008, 03:13
I've used Diafine in a Paterson Orbital, but did not continuously agitate - just a couple of swirls at the beginning of each minute. The negs (Classic Pan 400, IIRC) came out fine.

The instructions do say one gentle inversion (for tanks) each minute, so I'm not sure you're going to get very good results by doing continuous agitation. I would have thought this would be contrary to the way Diafine should be used? Given that you re-use the developer, could you not just fill the tank, and do a gentle inversion (total or "semi", depending on tank size and leakiness) each minute? I'd have thought that would give better results.

montynglen
6-Aug-2008, 17:40
Just a question about the development time??? What is 5+5!! Sounds sort of dumb but I am guessing it is not just a new way of saying 10 min.
I have just developed my first TMX 400 and use a CPA2 Jobo 6 1/2 min Xtol 1-1 with great results. I am sure there would be grain if enlarged enough but up to 16x20 not much!!!
Thanks.
Monty

Ron Marshall
6-Aug-2008, 18:13
Just a question about the development time??? What is 5+5!! Sounds sort of dumb but I am guessing it is not just a new way of saying 10 min.
Monty

It is a two solution developer, thus 5 min in the first solution, then 5 min in the second.

Important: Do not rinse between solutions.

Jim Cole
10-Aug-2008, 10:05
Ed,

Yes, I use a Uniroller that I modified to allow me to switch directions when I want (usually every 15 seconds). I develop in a Jobo 2500 series tank with 2509n reels. No matter what I do I cannot eliminate the uneven development along the long sides of the sheets where they contact the reel. Which developer I use doesn't matter. I decided to bite the bullet and bought a Jobo 3010 Expert tank that hopefully will eliminate the issue.

Just a follow up on my earlier comment on the Jobo 2500 tank and reels.

I have now run 14 sheets of Acros and 6 sheets of TMY-2 through my new Jobo Expert 3010 on the Uniroller base (switching directions every 1 minute) with Diafine and I am getting perfectly even, consistant development for the first time ever.

The Expert tank is ridiculously expensive, but it loads faster and easier and provides perfect development. I couldn't ask for more. I am a very happy camper.

The 2500 series tank will be relegated to 120 roll development.

Ron Marshall
10-Aug-2008, 10:35
The Expert tank is ridiculously expensive, but it loads faster and easier and provides perfect development. I couldn't ask for more. I am a very happy camper.

The 2500 series tank will be relegated to 120 roll development.

The 3010 was the best use of $270 I've ever made!

wclavey
10-Aug-2008, 13:57
OK, a few minor variations on a theme but with excellent results...

I'm not claiming any credit for this except for the 1 variation I introduced, but I am wildly supporting the concept and the results as people have reported both in this thread and in the Sandy King article thread...

Over the past 2 days I have processed 3 batches of TMY-2 in Diafine with continuous agitation. I have scanned the negatives from the first 2 batches and I am absolutely pleased beyond belief. I exposed it for ASA 400, metered for the shadows, the highlights and incident and generally exposed based on combining the incident and the shadow (roughly a Zone 3).

I developed in a Jobo 2523 tank with the 6-sheet reel on a unicolor roller base, which reverses direction about every 15 seconds or so, after about 1.25 rotations of the tank.

The only change I made to the process Jim Cole described was to use a 4 min pre-soak and then full strength Solution A for 3 min, followed by Solution B 1:1 for 3 min. I used the pre-soak and the full strength Solution A because I found that it contributed to more even development and fewer air bubbles on the 4x5 film, and previously someone had observed that the results of the Solution A 1:1 and the use of a pre-soak followed by full strength Solution A were about the same.

I also included a few sheets of Arista EDU 100 in the mix in the same batch and the results there were equally great. I feel like the combination of the pre-soak, the Diafine and the continuous agitation from the roller base have eliminated my processing unevenness. And the negatives, even as high contrast as I get shooting down here in the Texas afternoon sun, are great for scanning.

Thanks to all who have experimented and reported on this.

venchka
11-Aug-2008, 07:52
OK, so I'm not going to give you my unopened box of Diafine just yet. Sounds like we need to have a TMY-2 and Modified Diafine vs. Xtol 1:3 Throwdown! ;) :D :cool:

wclavey
11-Aug-2008, 08:07
OK, so I'm not going to give you my unopened box of Diafine just yet. Sounds like we need to have a TMY-2 and Modified Diafine vs. Xtol 1:3 Throwdown! ;) :D :cool:

Bring it on!