PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Caltar 210mm f6.8

Robert Glieden
1-Aug-2008, 18:55
I have a Super Graphic; it is my first 4x5 camera. It came with an Optar 135mm. After using it, I always find myself wanting a longer lens. I like the price of the Caltar 210mm 6.8. Please offer your suggestions on this lens (or others) keeping this in mind:

1. Camera must close with lens attached. Will my Super close?

2. Room for movements? I see myself with a maple Chamonix in the near future... I don't want to buy a lens I will quickly outgrow. My photography usually doesn't require many movements but it's good to have them as needed.

3. Lens must be under $300 preferably closer to $200. Please feel free to drop other 210's in this price range.

Thanks for all your help,

Rob

www.robertglieden.com

On a side note: If there are any Chamonix users near Minneapolis please let me know. I'd really like to get a look at one.

David Karp
1-Aug-2008, 19:14
I assume that you are talking about the Caltar II-E. This is a private-branded version of the Rodenstock Geronar of the same focal length. It is a multicoated three element lens. It is small and lightweight. If you regularly stop down to f/16 or f/22, it will give very nice sharp images. Chris Perez reported that at wider apertures it is not as sharp as some other lenses: http://www.hevanet.com/cperez/test/BigMash210.html. My version of the Caltar II-E has given me some nice sharp photos when stopped down as described.

Another alternative in this class is a Schneider 210mm f/6.1 Xenar. Calumet also sold these as the Caltar Pro (if you are looking, make sure that the Caltar Pro you are considering was made in Germany - if not, it is not a Xenar). These are single coated lenses. They are of a Tessar-type design, 4 elements in 3 groups. They are also nice and sharp.

Gem Singer
1-Aug-2008, 19:34
P.M. sent

Brian Vuillemenot
1-Aug-2008, 20:34
You can probably get a 210 Caltar II-N 5.6 for that price- I paid just over 2 benjamins for mine on the bay, in like new condition. It's the same lens as a Rodenstock Apo-Sironar-N costing almost a grand. This lens has a larger image circle than the II-E, and is so sharp that it'll cut your eyeballs looking at the transparencies.

BradS
3-Aug-2008, 23:19
...but, there's no way the Graphic is gonna close with a 210 Sironar-N ( Caltar II-N ) mounted.

I'm pretty sure that it'll close with the 210mm Geronar ( Caltar II-E ) mounted however. The older Crown Graphic certainly does.

John Kasaian
4-Aug-2008, 08:12
I don't know anything about the 210 Caltar but your speeder should close with a 203mm Ektar aboard her :)

Pat Hilander
6-Aug-2008, 07:47
YEs, your Super Graphic will close with the Caltar II E. I use one on mine and am very happy with it.

Robert Glieden
6-Aug-2008, 08:35
Thanks all - the one I was watching just sold, but that lens sounds about right for me. I'll keep an eye out for more.
Thanks again,
Rob

gevalia
6-Aug-2008, 09:07
My Speed closes just fine with a Caltar II 210 attached.

gflanslo
6-Aug-2008, 09:29
I have and enjoy a Caltar II N. It's a very nice lens and always produces sharp results.

If you want something in the 200 focal length that will allow your graflex to close I would recommend the Ektar 203mm. It's an amazing lens and gets a lot of really good press, just do a search on this site. I would recommend trying to find one in a compur shutter rather than the supermatic. You can usually fine a really nice examples for around $200 - $300. There were a couple of these sold here in the last few weeks.

igorcamera has one in ex/ex+ for $179 but it's in a supermatic shutter. Great deal though.

Matus Kalisky
7-Aug-2008, 01:57
Hi, I am using one for about 2 years. It is a nice lens. Although being only a triplet - it performes very well at f/16 and smaller. I have limited experience up to now, but have heard positive comments on portrait capabilities of this lens wide open. Another advantage of it is the weight (only 300g on a linhof lensboard) and is multicoated.

Actually I am considering selling mine as I would like to get either a fujinon A 240 or germinar (why did I not get one a few moth ago !!!) as I feel that 240 would couple better to 125 Fujinon CM-W (a great one) that I have. I paid for mine more than necessary, but it was a "demo" and I was new tp LF. You should be able to get one for $100 - $200. For $300 I would get either Sironar N (Caltar II-N) or Fujinon W if the weight would not be a concern (they are about 500g) to gain a little bit of sharpness wide open and bit more coverage.

Actually Fujinon W can be had for about $200 too. Look at the ones with lettering outside on the barrel - they are multicoated (like THIS (http://cgi.ebay.de/FUJINON-W-210mm-5-6-new-type_W0QQitemZ330259278462QQihZ014QQcategoryZ3323QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) one - no relation to the seller). They have a bit smaller image circle that the single coated ones (with lettering inside the filter ring) but with 4x5 this does not make a difference anymore, I guess.

Bogdan Karasek
3-Jan-2013, 21:36
I have and enjoy a Caltar II N. It's a very nice lens and always produces sharp results.

If you want something in the 200 focal length that will allow your graflex to close I would recommend the Ektar 203mm. It's an amazing lens and gets a lot of really good press, just do a search on this site. I would recommend trying to find one in a compur shutter rather than the supermatic. You can usually fine a really nice examples for around $200 - $300. There were a couple of these sold here in the last few weeks.

igorcamera has one in ex/ex+ for $179 but it's in a supermatic shutter. Great deal though.

Hello, I have an Ektar 203 in both shutters and I don't see a difference. Why do you find the Ektar mounted in a Compur to be "better" than one mounted in a Supermatic? Am I missing something?

Regards, Bogdan

BradS
3-Jan-2013, 22:08
Hello, I have an Ektar 203 in both shutters and I don't see a difference. Why do you find the Ektar mounted in a Compur to be "better" than one mounted in a Supermatic? Am I missing something?

Regards, Bogdan
the compur shutter is generally held in higher regard than the supermatic that's all. oh...that and the one in the Compur is likely (but not necessisarily) newer.

C. D. Keth
3-Jan-2013, 23:29
I have limited experience up to now, but have heard positive comments on portrait capabilities of this lens wide open.

This is my 210mm geronar at f8:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8205/8198001455_df5e2676bb_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/79873735@N03/8198001455/)
Devore; 2012 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/79873735@N03/8198001455/) by CKeth (http://www.flickr.com/people/79873735@N03/), on Flickr