PDA

View Full Version : Efke 100

seawolf66
1-Aug-2008, 07:08
Here is a shot, use-ing efke 100 shot at iso 50 camera was my new used Toyo 45CF with a Sironar 150mm F-5:6 <> F45 at about 2 secs Developed in ID-11 Diluted 1-4 for 10mins in BTZS tube: Your thoughts welcome

Paul Bujak
1-Aug-2008, 18:51
Lauren,

I like your shot. You have captured all the tonal nuance of that gnarley old tree. I am bothered a bit by that building (wall) on the right. It interrupts the out-of-focus background. If you had moved a bit to the right and just let the background consist of the oof tree, with nice bokeh, I think the photo would be more pleasing. But it's still nice.

Paul

seawolf66
1-Aug-2008, 20:40
thanks Paul after tomorrow The wall will be gone then I will have more room to play with for the shot: Lauren

ljsegil
2-Aug-2008, 09:18
Hi Lauren,

I am very impressed with the lovely job you (or maybe a bit of the Efke 100 too) did of capturing this image. To my (unskilled, inexperienced, and uneducated) eye the dark range of tones of the tree demonstrate subtle and pleasing tonal gradations, and preserve details and a feeling of depth that in a lesser photo might have been lost by the dark ranges of such an image. In fact, I think the preservation of detail, despite the limited tonal range offered by the tree, is quite impressive. Even with the fairly harsh backlighting I see no degradation of the image of the tree from flare (maybe a bit in the unfortunate fence), and the background highlights are not blown out even with the emphasis of the exposure on the dark tones of the tree.

Anyway, despite the wall, I really like the look of this picture, and for what it may be worth offer my praise to you. What are some of your secrets? Do you always expose Efke 100 at EI50, or only for images of tonality like this? I've only just begun experimenting with the Efke films, and would be curious to hear of your or anybody's experiences, opinions, and thoughts versus other emulsions before I waste too much of the film I have already purchased repeating whatever common mistakes I might otherwise avoid.

I, for one, hope you continue to post this kind of work. Maybe it's just me, but I find it both mesmerizing and moving, and look forward to seeing more.

Best regards and congratulations on a good one,
Larry Segil

seawolf66
2-Aug-2008, 17:46
Larry Segil: Here is the same subject shot with Efke 100 at 50iso but Developed in ID-11 @1-3 for 10 mins: and yes I shot efke 100 at 50 iso always ! But develope as ISO 100- I feel, I get better Negative this way ! The trouble you can not avoid making mistakes ,thats how we learn as to how to handle each film after awhile you will get it in the Zone as they say and have real fun: Lauren