PDA

View Full Version : July batch Chamonix 45N-1 changed the design ?!

Lee wonho
1-Aug-2008, 00:09
Now I don't have any of Chamonix 45N-1 Brochure,Technical sheet and even User manual .
So I get lots of useful know-how from this Forum and the other WEB(http://www.traditionalphotographer.net/Articles.aspx?Article=5)
When I open the wrap and setup the camera I found out something is different from the last batch Chamonix 45N-1(DEC,2007).

1.Ground Glass reference formats line still marked but letter (eg 6x12) disappear.
2.front extension scale line disapper and replace marked white dot.

Is this upgrade,downgrade or something else ?

mine 45N-1 serial # is 339.:

jasonjoo
1-Aug-2008, 00:18
Wonho, I would very much rather have the scale lines than the white dots. However, I think some people found it hard to see the scale lines in the darkness?

Jason

Lee wonho
1-Aug-2008, 00:42
How about your Cham 45N-1 ?,jasonjoo.
do you have the scale lines not white dot
and Ref LETTER on Ground Glass ?

jasonjoo
1-Aug-2008, 00:57
Mine does not have the scale lines or the numbers on the ground glass. I don't mind not having the numbers there, but the scale lines sure would have been nice!

Jason

eddie
1-Aug-2008, 04:20
Mine does not have the scale lines or the numbers on the ground glass. I don't mind not having the numbers there, but the scale lines sure would have been nice!

Jason

the scale lines were not that great really. mine has them. they are painfully hard to see. my 8x10 has the dots and they work a lot easier.

how about the bellows. do you all have different bellows? i thought they were changing the front bellows so you could get a bit of movement with short lenses....hard to explain with words.....almost like an "extra bigger" fold at the very front.

eddie

Daniel_Buck
1-Aug-2008, 09:03
Wonho, I would very much rather have the scale lines than the white dots. However, I think some people found it hard to see the scale lines in the darkness?

Jason

I'd rather have the white dots, I think I'm going to paint some onto mine. The scale is VERY difficult to see when the light starts getting dim. I believe we were told that there were going to be some minor changes in later releases, due to feedback from users.

Don Hutton
1-Aug-2008, 09:37
I have one with the scale lines which were very difficult to see in low light, so I scored them deeper and filled them with white enamel (covered them and then wiped off the excess, leaving nice white lines). Personally, I think the dots are a simpler better solution.

Harley Goldman
1-Aug-2008, 15:41
The scale lines are difficult to see, even in decent light. I think the dots are an improvement. I have the old style and I etched some lines into my base and painted them white so I could square up the standards quickly in any light.

Peter De Smidt
1-Aug-2008, 17:14
I too prefer the dots. There are lines for when the rear standard is brought forward on the base. These are hard to read. I might paint every 5th one white.

roteague
1-Aug-2008, 17:19
Is this upgrade,downgrade or something else ?

Neither, the factory has made some changes based upon user feedback. As others have pointed out, the scale is difficult to see, even under the best of conditions, hence the dots. However, I would miss the ground glass marking for 6x12 since I do shoot that format as well.

Welcome to the family of Chamonix owners.

Kirk Gittings
1-Aug-2008, 17:31
The dots were part of the original Phillips design too. They work just fine.

akalai
1-Aug-2008, 19:30
Perhaps a combination of both the large dots AND scale markings between them would be the best solution. Either all in white or say some combination of red dots and white scales markings in between.

I'd certainly prefer the reintroduction of the numbers on the GG showing the various film formats. Perhaps this could be an option much like the colour finishes.

Lee wonho
1-Aug-2008, 21:30
thanks all of you !
It is a very useful information. But I still miss the Formats number lettering on GG.
I am very happy be a family of Cham 45N-1 ower
wonho.

jasonjoo
1-Aug-2008, 22:22
I guess I speak what I do not know of! :)

Perhaps as another user here mentioned, the scale lines filled with white enamel would be a great solution! I really cannot wait to try this little guy out! As this is my first large format camera, there is a lot to learn at the moment. Actually, I'm going into the bathroom to load my first setup of film holders!

Wish me luck!

Len Eselson
2-Aug-2008, 10:47
I for one would not like to see the ground glass cluttered with the various roll film formats. It seems to me that it is easy enough to figure which ones apply in a particular situation while all those numbers detract from the ability to evaluate the image on the ground glass.

Len Esleson

Peter De Smidt
3-Aug-2008, 16:27
I too wish that there were no markings on the ground glass. After all, it's easy to add them with a pencil if you really need them.

Harley Goldman
3-Aug-2008, 19:59
My Cham has all the markings on it. I don't even notice them when viewing the ground glass. I regularly use the grid lines, I am not distracted in the least by the markings for the various film sizes.

Keith Pitman
11-Aug-2008, 09:15
I have a different Chamonix --not a 4x5-- which came with no markings. I drilled small holes at the appropriate points, then filled them with glow in the dark paint. I don't expect to really need to see these in the dark, but the paint was handy. It looks pretty cool when you turn off the lights.

buze
15-Aug-2008, 00:36
I think the dots could be great because you can realign the standard when at the back of the camera -- feel them with your fingers. I modded my 45N-1 to have 'touchable' marks on the front standard to be able to reset the shift and raise already. The dots would help with the swing...