PDA

View Full Version : Canham Traditional

Mark Sloane
31-Jul-2008, 09:27
I would like to put a ruler/scale on my Canham.

I'm told the newer ones have them. If that is correct, where is it placed? I was thinking on top of the rail and measure the movement on the rear standard.

Any idea where I can buy a stick on scale?

Thanks......Mark

jetcode
31-Jul-2008, 09:45

I'm told the newer ones have them. If that is correct, where is it placed? I was thinking on top of the rail and measure the movement on the rear standard.

Thanks......Mark

I'd call Keith and ask him. I like his cameras. I had a 5x7 traditional wood.

George Stewart
31-Jul-2008, 09:56
His cameras look nice with the scale. Perhaps he will retrofit scales on your camera for a nominal cost. Give him a call.

Walter Calahan
31-Jul-2008, 10:02
I'd call him to double check his placement. Never thought to add a scale to my Canham Traditional.

Mark Sloane
31-Jul-2008, 11:24
Never thought to add a scale to my Canham Traditional.

Walter,

I am fairly new to LF. For about a year now I've been using a Sinar F2 that has a scale of sorts on the focus knob to help determine the best DOF settings.

I was anticipating using a flat scale to measure my rear standard movement to help me figure out DOF.

If you don't have a scale do you just rough guess your adjustments until you see the desired results in the GG? I struggle to see the DOF when I stop down to f16 or more so I really like an additional method to give me confidence that I will have the right DOF when I trigger the shutter.

I guess I could use instant film but it seems like it is an added expense and time waster that could be compensated for by increasing my skill sets.

QT Luong
31-Jul-2008, 11:28
I bought my KBC in 1993. Keith sent me a scale on tape that is of excellent quality and is holding up very well. It is on the side of the inner focussing rail.

Mark Sloane
31-Jul-2008, 11:44
QT,

On my KBC Traditional the "inner focusing rail" is for the front standard. When you say "On the side of the inner focusing rail" do you mean the side facing the bellows or the side facing the permanent rail support on the bed? If the latter I guess there must be enough clearance to put a sticky tape on.

QT Luong
31-Jul-2008, 11:52
It's on the external side (the other way would make it more difficult to use), that is facing the permanent rail next to it. I previously used my own sticky tape, but Keith's was better.

Brian Ellis
31-Jul-2008, 15:59

Thanks......Mark

I don't know where to put one on the Canham, I've never owned a Canham, but I've put a mm ruler on every LF camera I've ever owned (9 or 10 of them). I cut them down and then attach them with Scotch tape, you don't really need a stick-on ruler. I've never had to replace the Scotch tape and in fact I've had trouble getting them off when I've sold a camera. Linhof Technikas are the easiest, the distance scale thingy is perfect for holding a ruler. All the others have been taped on the top of one of the front rails of the cameras (Tachihara, Ebony, Deardorff, etc.).

Andrew O'Neill
31-Jul-2008, 16:48
I have the 8x10 Light Weight version. The scale goes on the top. I attached a few pics. The first Light Weight I got about 8 years ago had a plastic scale stuck on it. It started to peel off. The camera got stolen a few years ago and the replacement has the scale etched into it. I've never found any use for the scale but I'm sure someone will.

Mark Sloane
31-Jul-2008, 17:18
Thanks folks for all your help.....got what I need now.......Mark

Walter Calahan
31-Jul-2008, 18:51
Mark

Whatever you need to make your calculations, go for it.

I use an angle finder to measure the pitch of my rear standard, and then adjust the front standard to my desired pitch to cover the dof I want.

There are many ways to do the same thing. That's just I mentioned I never thought of adding a scale to my camera.

I also have a 4x5 Arca-Swiss with a built-in millimeter scale, but I never use it as well.

Enjoy the camera.