PDA

View Full Version : LF Camera Prices

Brian_A
30-Jul-2008, 19:41
Ok, a general question here. I was looking at B&H for some various LF camera bodies... I came across my Horseman Woodman 4x5 and the price is like $1299. Not more than a month ago the same exact camera was listed there for $899.

So, the question is, is there a surge in LF photography going on right now, now that the digital world has somewhat leveled out for the time being? (Megapixel-wise) Or can we just blame this on the weak dollar/strong Euro?

But, since the Euro has been stronger than the dollar for quite some time now. I'd figure that the price would have went up (If this were the reason) quite a while ago.

Just curious as to what everyone else thinks here.

-Brian

Tony Flora
30-Jul-2008, 19:55
diseconomies of scale and the weak dollar are my guess.

Frank Petronio
30-Jul-2008, 20:47
It's probably the last one in stock and they are waiting for a die-hard sucker.

Brian_A
30-Jul-2008, 21:00
It's sold out according to the site... Maybe it was the last one and they never switched the price back...

gevalia
31-Jul-2008, 05:55
I recently started in LF and MF (all within the last 8 months). I can honestly say that I have seen prices on that auction site go up quite a bit. And I have also noticed that there are fewer auctions ending without a winner.

I will also say as a newbie to LF, that I have run into quite a few other newbies at about the same skillset as myself. And I do mean a lot. More than I would have expected.

Ernest Purdum
31-Jul-2008, 10:13
The prices on some eBay items are obviously waiting for a sucker.

On the other hand, eBay seems to be in summer doldrums, or perhaps affected by a dismal economy, so I think some sellers are listing fairly high starting prices just to be sure the item doesn't sell for peanuts.

BradS
31-Jul-2008, 10:18
Given the weakness of the dollar against just about every other world currency and the increasing transportation costs, the wholesale prices of imported goods must rise. Unlike gas stations, Camera retailers often don't to adjust thier retail prices up until they really have to. It is the same thing for bread at the grocery store...only the stock turns over much faster.

In this case, B&H would sell all of the stock thay bought last year at price point X for a given amount and then let the price jump to reflect their cost of the stock they bought (or will buy) of that product this year (for example). They have been selling the Woodman for around $900 for at least four year that i have been watching.

cjbroadbent
31-Jul-2008, 10:25
Given the weakness of the dollar against just about every other world currency ....

Have a look here: http://www.lemoyenformat.com/GFweb/GFsommaire.html under 'Le Neuf (new stuff) and "Les Occasions" (used stuff). All the good things are there at higher prices than the States.

Brian_A
31-Jul-2008, 10:29
Ahh inflation at it's best. Boy oh boy do I love it. At least the price of gas has went down almost a quarter (Knock on wood) where I'm at... Who knows how long that'll last.

k_redder
31-Jul-2008, 11:40
Ok, a general question here. I was looking at B&H for some various LF camera bodies... I came across my Horseman Woodman 4x5 and the price is like $1299. Not more than a month ago the same exact camera was listed there for $899.

So, the question is, is there a surge in LF photography going on right now, now that the digital world has somewhat leveled out for the time being? (Megapixel-wise) Or can we just blame this on the weak dollar/strong Euro?

But, since the Euro has been stronger than the dollar for quite some time now. I'd figure that the price would have went up (If this were the reason) quite a while ago.

Just curious as to what everyone else thinks here.

-Brian

During the last year, I've been acquiring bits and pieces as I can afford them. During that time I've seen the (new) price of certain lenses that I've got my heart set on (APO Sironar S 150 for example) go up by as much as $200 :( . I now find myself rethinking my selections with an eye toward something more affordable (Nikkor W maybe). It's most likely due to exchange rates and or energy costs but the end result is the same, some stuff definitely seems to be getting more expensive.

mccormickstudio
31-Jul-2008, 13:22
I've noticed other fluctuations from B&H - last week they were selling jobo 3005 drums (new) for $249. You had to put one in your cart to see the price because it was below list price. Now it's back to $299. I've noticed this price fluctuation with many other items as well.

I've always been happy with B&H, but this game is a little annoying.

BradS
31-Jul-2008, 15:22
Have a look here: http://www.lemoyenformat.com/GFweb/GFsommaire.html under 'Le Neuf (new stuff) and "Les Occasions" (used stuff). All the good things are there at higher prices than the States.

...but, of course, supply and demand has not been on holiday while the dollar is wimpering and fuel costs are at historic highs. Supply and demand must still set the base price for all goods in free markets.

Surely you cannot object to the fact that the dollar is weak compared to every other major world currency. Nor can there be any argument to the assertion that fuel cost have increassed dramatically lately. Naturally then, retailers here in the US must pay more dollars for goods denominated in foreign currency. As well, it of course, costs more to get those foreign goods here now too.

Eventually, these increased costs must be passed on to the consumer....thus, we see higher retail prices.

Brian_A
31-Jul-2008, 16:26
Yes, but $400 more for a camera? It doesn't cost THAT much to ship it. I don't think the dollar has devalued to the point where it's went up almost half of it's original cost. (For my specific instance, that is....)

-Brian

coolhead
31-Jul-2008, 16:34
Depending on when they paid for the last shipment of the camera, the dollar may have lost that much value. The Canadian dollar has gained 50% on the American in the last few years ...

MIke Sherck
31-Jul-2008, 17:46
I hate to have to point this out but a retailer who charges x% more than they paid for an item will be out of business sooner rather than later. What you have to charge is what it will cost to replace the item once you sell it, plus x%.

Between inflation (rising cost of raw materials, specifically high grade wood,) and labor, plus the fall of the dollar (and it has fallen a *lot* in the past few years,) rising transportation costs and the high cost of a New York store, labor, taxes, etc., a 50% increase in price is probably about right.

You want a real shock? Check out what a pack of cigarettes costs in New York City these days. Glad I gave up smoking, even if I don't live in NYC!

Mike

audioexcels
31-Jul-2008, 18:46
On cameras, I don't see much of a rise and see more of a decline. Look at the Arca on Ebay as an example. It is selling for about $400 less than what it would have sold for only 6 months ago. But things are very dependent on "trends" so it seems. For example, to the contrary of the Arca example, Schneider lenses were not selling for much, but in more recent times, especially the past month or so, they've suddenly become huge sellers. I have seen this with other stuff also. I cannot keep up with all this stuff nor do I know why it happens, but I am always on the S-end of the stick when it comes to figuring out the format I want to shoot and then looking back at the things I have sold that would be a perfect fit, if only I never sold them and I didn't have to pay 30% more for them now!

Then again, some on this forum think I'm a dealer in spite I cannot afford the lenses I want to use right now-----some dealer I am eh!

One area of interest is the MF and 35mm rangefinder world. These prices have been profoundly high, and again, I cannot pick up a decent MF setup without knowing the couple I had are now 2X as much!

I'd say film has gained in popularity, even if it is a niche part of the digital world. I looked on Craigslist the other day for a cheap MF camera (yeah right), and I saw a person offering up his Nikon D300 and highest end zooms for a Hassy film system...maybe he will be putting a digi-back on it, but he's not the only as I know many from other forums that haven't shot with their DSLRs for a year...

Cheers!

BradS
1-Aug-2008, 07:12
Yes, but $400 more for a camera? It doesn't cost THAT much to ship it. I don't think the dollar has devalued to the point where it's went up almost half of it's original cost. (For my specific instance, that is....)

-Brian

Again, in your specific example, B&H had that camera offered at the same price for well over four years (that I know of maybe more). It maybe that they bought a bunch of them say, eight years ago at one wholesale price and offered them all at the old lower retail price until that stock ran out. Now, they have to re-order at the mfgr's new price....quite plausible.